Vali 2 tube rolling
Mar 1, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #1,156 of 6,436
Welcome brother, would love to hear impressions from your Vali 2/Clear setup, also the Raspberry as your source is something I've been toying around with too! I have a Retropie which I'm considering transforming in to a Hfiberry and used as a second silent HTC/Music streamer.

You have gotta get the lads some pics of your setup mate! :smile:

I've only has the Clears for about 3 weeks. I really like them. The detail, accuracy & sound stage are just fantastic. Like some of the reviews state they can be a touch bright with some recordings. I decided to try a tube amp like the Vali 2 to see if it would help with that. But, at least with the stock tube it hasn't reigned in the brightness. Again, this is just on a few recordings (e.g. Dire Straits Brothers In Arms, Toto IV). But what the Vali 2 (with the 6BZ7) has done is add some warmth and smoothness to the bass. Very nice :)

So, recently I've been fooling around with various audio players for the Raspberry Pi and the HiFiBerry DAC+. When I connected it to the Vali 2 - I was very pleasantly surprised. It sounded as good (maybe better) than my Onkyo DP-X1. Due to software issues I gave up on the RuneAudio system and just today, tried MusicBox. MusicBox seems to work fairly well and is more current. I have the RCA outputs from the HiFiBerry going to the Vali 2. Using a web browser or even an Android client I can control the music via the Raspberry Pi. I have it setup to access my music files via a network share. Earlier I posted that the HiFiBerry has a Burr-Brown DAC, but according to their webpage, they have switched over to ESS.

I guess, now it's time to roll some tubes......

Pi_test.jpg

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #1,157 of 6,436
@Lekoguy - Preface by saying that I was originally going compare a single 6ZH1p to a dual socket 6ZH1p ...

“There is something at work in my soul, which I do not understand.”
Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus

Volly,

Thank you for your very detailed critique. Being a noob at rolling without papers, your observations are groovy. Or is that CDy? I still love vinyl.

I'm confused about something, however. Since a 6ZH1p is mono-triode tube, how could it work in a Vali 2 even with an adapter. Wouldn't the output be Mono? Or would it only output "Putin' on da Ritz?"

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #1,158 of 6,436
I've only has the Clears for about 3 weeks. I really like them. The detail, accuracy & sound stage are just fantastic. Like some of the reviews state they can be a touch bright with some recordings. I decided to try a tube amp like the Vali 2 to see if it would help with that. But, at least with the stock tube it hasn't reigned in the brightness. Again, this is just on a few recordings (e.g. Dire Straits Brothers In Arms, Toto IV). But what the Vali 2 (with the 6BZ7) has done is add some warmth and smoothness to the bass. Very nice :)

So, recently I've been fooling around with various audio players for the Raspberry Pi and the HiFiBerry DAC+. When I connected it to the Vali 2 - I was very pleasantly surprised. It sounded as good (maybe better) than my Onkyo DP-X1. Due to software issues I gave up on the RuneAudio system and just today, tried MusicBox. MusicBox seems to work fairly well and is more current. I have the RCA outputs from the HiFiBerry going to the Vali 2. Using a web browser or even an Android client I can control the music via the Raspberry Pi. I have it setup to access my music files via a network share. Earlier I posted that the HiFiBerry has a Burr-Brown DAC, but according to their webpage, they have switched over to ESS.

Actually there are 4 models of HiFiBerry DAC available. 3 use Burr Brown and 1 uses ESS. I have the earliest Burr Brown model.

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #1,159 of 6,436

Damn nice, the colour scheme is pimp! Clear plus Vali 2 looks so nice together! :D

Burr Brown Dac are beautiful and musical! I have a few Burr Brown based Dacs, one being my Theta Cobalt 307, a fantastic sounding dac.
ESS chips might be a bit cheaper and easier to source perhaps?

The Vali 2 treble is somewhat more subdued compared to my Asgard 2 but both have very nice sounding high's.

When you're ready to roll, this thread should help you.

Mar 1, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #1,160 of 6,436
Volly,

Thank you for your very detailed critique. Being a noob at rolling without papers, your observations are groovy. Or is that CDy? I still love vinyl.

I'm confused about something, however. Since a 6ZH1p is mono-triode tube, how could it work in a Vali 2 even with an adapter. Wouldn't the output be Mono? Or would it only output "Putin' on da Ritz?"

Haha thanks mate, not technically proficient on the 6ZH1P design but it's not sounding like mono to me, sorry can't answer that one bud!

Mar 1, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #1,162 of 6,436
Damn nice, the colour scheme is pimp! Clear plus Vali 2 looks so nice together! :D

Burr Brown Dac are beautiful and musical! I have a few Burr Brown based Dacs, one being my Theta Cobalt 307, a fantastic sounding dac.
ESS chips might be a bit cheaper and easier to source perhaps?

The Vali 2 treble is somewhat more subdued compared to my Asgard 2 but both have very nice sounding high's.

When you're ready to roll, this thread should help you.

Oh, you're right. It was just the DAC+ Light that is using the ESS. The rest are Burr-Brown.

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #1,166 of 6,436
Haven't tried any of single triodes myself, but I'd think using only one you'd just get a single channel (left or right, not summed to mono)
I agree with your thoughts. The thing is that Volly wanted to try the single tube with some sort of adapter (not the Frankentuber). I was guessing the wiring in the adapter would combine the L & R channels.

Mar 3, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #1,167 of 6,436
Just tried Vali 2 with a National Electronics ECC88 6DJ8 on my HD800 and was pleasantly surprised. Compared to the JJ Goldpins that I'm normally using, I was immediately struck by how much more dynamic the Nationals are. The JJ has more forward round mids, while the Nationals mids are more neutral, with tighter, more detailed bass and a bit of sparkle in the highs. I'd say extension in both bass and treble is better, and the imaging is more realistic on the Nationals. I also think there's a touch of euphonic tube magic coming through. The Nationals are a drier sound than the JJ's or EH I've tried, which generally runs toward my preference for drier amps (I like Valhalla 2).

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #1,168 of 6,436
Anybody try one of these yet? The plate structure is a bit crooked, but it tests great with perfectly matched triodes. Have it cooking in the Vali now, but I'll resist the urge to listen to it until at least tomorrow night...

6hlx84.jpg

Mar 5, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #1,169 of 6,436
@bcowen - Doesn't look like a current production one, looks NOS. Probably from the 60's?

Haven't heard one myself, but from others accounts, a cool yet detailed sounding tube?

FYI - I'm rolling in a Philips SQ at the moment.

Mar 5, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #1,170 of 6,436

Awesome! A new rolling addict is born. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not to get you started too quickly or anything, but of the couple dozen tubes I've rolled through the Vali so far, the stock tube was easily the worst sounding. If you're willing to wait a bit, get the 396A/5670/2C51 to ECC88 adapter from the far east, and while that's on its way, get a couple Russian Voshkod 6N3PE's coming from the other direction. Big grins for less than $25 total, including shipping. If you have no patience, you're in good company so see if you can find a decent deal on a NOS Telefunken 6DJ8. No adapter required, but you'll likely pay quite a bit for a good tube with closely matched triodes. Both Volly and I got super big grins with this tube. Good luck, and keep us posted if you find something killer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back