Vali 2 tube rolling
Oct 24, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #6,421 of 6,436
I'm having a problem with the replacement tube doing the same thing. It becomes loose over time. I can make sure that it's seated properly before each use but that seems to be a compromise. I like it so what is the work around? A socket saver? If so, which one? Thanks.

Oct 24, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #6,422 of 6,436
Nov 22, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #6,424 of 6,436
Just took delivery of a Vali 2++ today and enjoying it so far with the stock tube. But any easy recommendations for an after-market tube with the most treble reduction and/or soundstage increase? Looking for something as warm and wide as possible (if that's possible with the Vali 2++.

Nov 22, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #6,425 of 6,436
Just took delivery of a Vali 2++ today and enjoying it so far with the stock tube. But any easy recommendations for an after-market tube with the most treble reduction and/or soundstage increase? Looking for something as warm and wide as possible (if that's possible with the Vali 2++.
You're gonna need an adapter but my all time fav. for soundstage is an EI Yugo 12AU7. With my HFM cans (400i & HEXS) it's the closest I've heard to "out of your head".
If you don't want to bother with adapters, I'd suggest a Tesla 6CC42 - the best of my limited selection of 5670 type tubes.

Nov 24, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #6,427 of 6,436
You're gonna need an adapter but my all time fav. for soundstage is an EI Yugo 12AU7. With my HFM cans (400i & HEXS) it's the closest I've heard to "out of your head".
If you don't want to bother with adapters, I'd suggest a Tesla 6CC42 - the best of my limited selection of 5670 type tubes.
Ditto on the Tesla. I like it better than the WE 396A in my setup. More dynamic overall and more to the neutral side than the WE, which I find a bit too warm (like there is such a thing) in my OG Vali 2. Of course, personal preference and system synergy are the ultimate arbiters, and from what I've read the OG Vali has a bit warmer overall balance than the 2+ and later (where the WE could synergize very nicely).

6CC42 Tesla.jpg

Jan 22, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #6,428 of 6,436
Liking the JJ 6922 more than the EH version I had in the amp earlier. Also prefer it to the 6N1P and the stock tube. Nice, smooth performance, good instrument separation. I'm using the Vali 2 as both a headphone amp fed by the 4493 Modius, as well as a preamp out to the Gjallarhorn I just purchased. It works well for both - also tames quite a bit of harshness out of my AKG K612 Pro while providing enough detail for my HE-X4 headphones, while also taming some harsh highs like those found on Annie Lennox' Medusa album.

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #6,429 of 6,436
Liking the JJ 6922 more than the EH version I had in the amp earlier. Also prefer it to the 6N1P and the stock tube. Nice, smooth performance, good instrument separation. I'm using the Vali 2 as both a headphone amp fed by the 4493 Modius, as well as a preamp out to the Gjallarhorn I just purchased. It works well for both - also tames quite a bit of harshness out of my AKG K612 Pro while providing enough detail for my HE-X4 headphones, while also taming some harsh highs like those found on Annie Lennox' Medusa album.
Does the Vali make your AKG K612 produce good bass frequencies? I love that AKG but struggle to make it produce sufficient bass using my amps.

Jan 22, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #6,430 of 6,436
Does the Vali make your AKG K612 produce good bass frequencies? I love that AKG but struggle to make it produce sufficient bass using my amps.
Well, the smoother top end definitely makes the bottom sound fuller, but the K612 still a mid-high centric headphone. No real boost down there. I haven't tried to EQ it, but I don't think there is enough down there to suit people looking for that kind of "foundation" to their music. The Vali just makes it more listenable.

Jan 22, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #6,431 of 6,436
Well, the smoother top end definitely makes the bottom sound fuller, but the K612 still a mid-high centric headphone. No real boost down there. I haven't tried to EQ it, but I don't think there is enough down there to suit people looking for that kind of "foundation" to their music. The Vali just makes it more listenable.
There's an app for that: 🤣

1705943015312.png

Jan 22, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #6,433 of 6,436
My AKG 7XX are much harder to drive than all of my other headphones- Sennheiser 6XX, DCA Aeon/Aeon 2, HiFiman 4XX, XE-4. The AKGs were my first foray into 'real headphones' but I never use them since I have my others.
Yup, my AKGs are definitely more power hungry than my Hifiman HE-X4s.

Jan 23, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #6,434 of 6,436
My AKG 7XX are much harder to drive than all of my other headphones- Sennheiser 6XX, DCA Aeon/Aeon 2, HiFiman 4XX, XE-4. The AKGs were my first foray into 'real headphones' but I never use them since I have my others.
I love my AKG K612 Pro, it produces wonderfully detailed, spacious sound but after trying out different amps, I cannot help but resign to the fact that I cannot use it for other than some chamber music or acoustic guitar tracks, which I only have a couple of. So I very rarely use it.

Yup, my AKGs are definitely more power hungry than my Hifiman HE-X4s.

The Vali is supposed to provide lots of power. Alas, it seems not enough for the AKG.

P.S. The Heed CanAmp is said to drive AKG 7xx with some good results in the bass department and although it is manufactured in my country, it is too expensive for me to pair it with my K612.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #6,435 of 6,436
I've been using my Vali 2++ with a Gold Lion 6922 via an adapter powering a set of Massdrop X Koss KSC7X and have never had so much fun listening to cheap headphones.

Stock ear pads. Auto EQ preset via Equalizer APO. Still grainy top end and little to no detail retrieval but overall warm, wide, and fun. The best "Walkman" sound I've heard.

100 percent recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back