Vali 2 tube rolling
May 25, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #5,971 of 6,436
Spankin' Time!!!

Fitted her with a lovely Tung Sol 6BK7B and she is spankin' the HD650s quite nicely.

Now that I have had the Vali 2+ for a little while, it was time to move her into her final destination spot. She is now a member of my old school computer table setup.

Cheers!!

Vali 2+ & Tung Sol 6BK7B.jpg
Vali 2+ & Tung Sol 6BK7B & Senn HD650 (2).jpg

May 29, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #5,972 of 6,436
I've been trying out a new set of closed back headphones using an EH6cg7, soundstage is OK, detail is good, voices are fine.
Plugged in my Zenith/Tungsol 6sn7, listened to the same set of recordings, wow, just wow. Soundstage opens up, details appear, voices are full, a much better overall sense of presence. I really like this tube.

Jun 1, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #5,973 of 6,436
I am very late to the tube rolling party because for the most part I have been satisfied with the tube on my Vali 2. However, recently I have felt that my Focal Clears have been sounding a bit boring, for want of a better word, compared to how they sound on other solid state equipment. I swapped in an Electro-Harmonix 6922 years ago and I must have been satisfied at the time? I didn't want to break the bank so I grabbed a National-Matsushitu 7DJ8 and a Philips ECC88 from Watford Tubes to try out.

I went with the National first. I only let it burn in for a few hours but I figured I would give it a listen just to see how it was doing. Suffice to say the little beast is still forward and frizzy, which I understand is to be expected from new tubes as stuff gets deposited on other stuff. Even so, I can hear a lot more width in the sound stage on the Clears and a *lot* more extension in the bass. As I am writing this, the National has had another five hours of burn in and it is just a little more mellow. Lovely warmth in the lower mids and female vocals are a little more calm than earlier.

There is a little channel mismatch at low volumes so I have switched the Vali 2 to low gain - usually I run it in high gain. Aside from that, I am really impressed with this little tube. My Clears are already sounding much more fun and engaging. It will be interesting to see what happens to the low mids over time. What I am really hoping for is that there will also be air at the top end once the frizzy forwardness burns off.

I will probably give the National a few weeks before I swap in the Philips. But even now I am thinking about what I could be doing with the Mjolnir 2 downstairs...

20220601_222304.jpg

Jun 1, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #5,978 of 6,436
It's just a socket saver. Not strictly needed on the Vali 2 but I thought it would be nice to see more of the tube doing its thing.
And the Vali 2 amp body stays a little cooler.

Jun 1, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #5,979 of 6,436
Jun 1, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #5,980 of 6,436
Jun 2, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #5,982 of 6,436
What are we spanking tonight???

The Sundara of course. A lovely Sylvania 6GU7.

Cheers!

Vali 2+ & Sundara & Sylvania 6GU7.jpgVali 2+ & Sylvania 6GU7.jpg
Speaking of spanking headphone - I am not a headphone guy. I listen to a Vali 2+, a Lyr 3 or a Saga + through either a tube power amp and Klipsch Heresy speakers, or through small Klipsch powered speakers. I swap them back and forth from time to time. But that headphone jack is there, I think maybe I should try headphones. I have some $60 Audio Technica headphones that I use to record multitrack music (me singing or playing along with previously recorded tracks.) Quality on recording headphones is not an issue, I just need to hear the recorded track so that I can sing or play along. What is the cost of an "entry level" set of high fidelity headphones meant for musical listening? I know that is controversial, I know some will say that entry price is $100, $1000, $infinity. I am sure there are threads that beat this question to death - links would be great! My goal would be that the new headphones be noticeably superior to the $60 AT's, but I do not want to spend more that the Schiit Saga, because this is an experiment. At the end of the experiment I will still be a speaker guy.

Jun 2, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #5,983 of 6,436
I’m no expert but I do love my Grado 325x’s with the Vali 2+ and some rca clear top 6cg7s. If you like the Klipsch sound Grados might be just up your alley.

Jun 2, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #5,984 of 6,436
@Pondoro,

I spank speakers with tubes too. Not just headphones. Everything gets spanked at the house with tubes. :laughing::laughing:

If your budget is $100, I agree with Tensen with Grados. The 325s are a bit above that budget but an SR80x should fit the bill nicely for 125 beans.

Cheers!

DV336 & KRK Rokit (6).jpg
DV336 (2).jpg

Jun 2, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #5,985 of 6,436
Anyone have any experience with 12au7 GE triple mica 1950’s in the Vali 2+. I know bcowen has some dislike for GEs but I’ve found these to be incredibly musical. With an adapter of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back