Vali 2 tube rolling
Apr 25, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #5,386 of 6,436
Ah, those JJs. The seller I bought my amp from included one of those. Decent enough. Definitely better than the other tubes that were included (stock & a philips ecg:grimacing:)

LOL! Rumor has it that a titanium drill bit spinning at 10k RPM's jammed forcefully into your eardrums is less painful than a Philips ECG. :)

Apr 25, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #5,387 of 6,436
Hello, I am new to this forum, and I just received the vali-2 amp this weekend!
SO I am really happy. It makes my headphones sound really good with tidal tracks, especially my sony 7506.
Also received a little stereo amp for my totem hawks el34 / 12ax7 - my first tube amp ever! Not an all lot of power but just fine for mid-field listening.

I'll be reading through the many posts to learn more about the various tubes available... It is exciting!

Apr 25, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #5,388 of 6,436
SO I am really happy. It makes my headphones sound really good with tidal tracks, especially my sony 7506.
Also received a little stereo amp for my totem hawks el34 / 12ax7 - my first tube amp ever! Not an all lot of power but just fine for mid-field listening.

I'll be reading through the many posts to learn more about the various tubes available... It is exciting!

Welcome! Just so you're aware, the Vali 2 is a gateway amp. You know, kinda like a gateway drug. But it's a perfect implement for establishing early-onset tube rolling addiction. The Force won't help with that, just in case you were planning on using it later. :)

Seriously, the Vali 2 is (IMO) one of the biggest bangs for the buck in audioland. Good choice!

May 4, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #5,390 of 6,436

Welcome to the weeds, @ChrisR2040 . I purchased my Vali 2 shortly after my Magni. And it's a dandy little toaster. The only craptastic aspect of these mini-wonders is the teeny tiny, slick volume knobs. I ended up removing them and adding surplus microscope knobs (with bits of felt underneath them to ensure smooth spinning). It'll never be as smooth tracking as my Valhalla 2 or Asgard 2; however, it drives my cans without issue.

May 4, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #5,391 of 6,436
Welcome to the weeds, @ChrisR2040 . I purchased my Vali 2 shortly after my Magni. And it's a dandy little toaster. The only craptastic aspect of these mini-wonders is the teeny tiny, slick volume knobs. I ended up removing them and adding surplus microscope knobs (with bits of felt underneath them to ensure smooth spinning). It'll never be as smooth tracking as my Valhalla 2 or Asgard 2; however, it drives my cans without issue.

I'll have to say that the Vali 2 is not only the least expensive tube amp I've ever purchased, it's also the smallest and lightest....and punches way higher than its price OR its weight. :)

My days of slinging around 90 pound monoblocks is over...I'm too old and far too lazy.

May 5, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #5,392 of 6,436

Welcome, @ChrisR2040 ! Vali 2 has turned out my endgame and tube rolling remains an awesome experience. You can learn from my mistakes clicking on the link in my signature, if you wish.

May 5, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #5,394 of 6,436
Hey there, ODD - I hope you are safe and healthy where you are at!

I had wanted to ask if you ever looked into the same dual adapter that I had @Deyan create for me a few weeks ago? It has been working great for me and I believe it was you who had asked about it. Same goes for @bcowen I guess as well! :)

Cheers,
Kev

I haven't ordered one of those from him. I'm still a month behind listening to stuff I already have adapters for. :)

May 6, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #5,395 of 6,436

I had wanted to ask if you ever looked into the same dual adapter that I had @Deyan create for me a few weeks ago? It has been working great for me and I believe it was you who had asked about it. Same goes for @bcowen I guess as well! :)

Cheers,
Kev
If a Vali 2 ever comes on sale (or gets even cheaper as a close-out), I might just pick one up, bolt on the dual-valve adapter, and see what all the fuss is about. About a week ago, I pulled off the JJ 6SN7 + converter-adapter and its lopsided socket saver, and replaced it with a 6N1P tube that came with my Valhalla 2. I lucked out. I can't detect any channel imbalance. And the Cyrillic writing on the glass makes me smile. I muse about how this tube could have been used on a Soviet-era military device. It also has a more pleasant glow than my boring 6SN7. Sound quality? Well, it sounds... fine?
I haven't seen any magic blue smoke, so I'm assuming I'm not trashing my amp... :ksc75smile:

I found ODD's link and it helped me chose tubes from Tube Depot. It's well written.

May 6, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #5,396 of 6,436
As I'm still in my 1st year of ownership of my Vali, and just a newb to this entire tube rolling hobby, my opinions are to be taken with a pretty small grain of salt I suppose. I have thoroughly enjoyed researching and experimenting with the dozen or so different tubes I've purchased thus far. All fairly cheap in the grand scheme of things (unlike, say, additional drivers to add to my set of golf clubs or additions/modifications to my mountain bike or car)!
And who knows - a lot might be wishful thinking or unintended bias in whatever tube I am currently utilizing - but the single octel tubes in that adapter and ESPECIALLY the Frankentube definitely seem to add to the auditory experience to my aged ears. I am a "gear" guy, so I enjoy trying these new tubes every now and then, if only just to tinker. At the end of the day, I'm just happy about all the wonderful advancements that have become available; whether they are outstanding yet easily affordable tube amps like this one or sonically awesome headphones and bookshelf sized speakers so I can enjoy all the great music I love without spending a king's ransom!

-Kev

May 6, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #5,397 of 6,436

Cheers,
Kev
Nope, sorry, COVID and all. BTW, which one was that?

May 6, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #5,398 of 6,436
Nope, sorry, COVID and all. BTW, which one was that?

It was this one...
IMG_3824.jpg

May 6, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #5,399 of 6,436

Users who are viewing this thread

Back