Vali 2 tube rolling
Dec 21, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #4,921 of 6,436
Good luck! Please tell us how you like it when it arrives!

I certainly will - I can hardly wait! I just got Modi/Magni last week. I’m curious if Vali can open up and smooth out Modi a little. Of my 3 DACs, Modi has the most detail and resolution when things get busy, but is also the brightest with the least amount of depth. That seems like a big task for a $150 amp with one low voltage tube, so I ordered Mimby to try as well. But I like the simplicity of Modi so we’ll see...

And of course I will compare tubes and report on what I find! After reading some of this thread I obviously want a CCa tube. I figure the NOS Dutch Amperex is sort of half way there, and a good way to see how much of a difference I’ll really perceive rolling tubes on this particular amp.

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #4,924 of 6,436
Sorry about that. I believe the Brimar name was licenses out, butit was the name only. I believe Mullard is actually is in the process of having its original designs and factory machinery and tools restored and placed back into service along with its name to manufacture and distribute original Mullard designs under the Mullard name. I cannot recall where where Mullard will be reincarnated, but it may be in Russia, as well.

Give the Russian 'Brimar' a try -- It may surprise you none-the-less.

Dec 23, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #4,925 of 6,436
Sorry about that. I believe the Brimar name was licenses out, butit was the name only. I believe Mullard is actually is in the process of having its original designs and factory machinery and tools restored and placed back into service along with its name to manufacture and distribute original Mullard designs under the Mullard name. I cannot recall where where Mullard will be reincarnated, but it may be in Russia, as well.

Give the Russian 'Brimar' a try -- It may surprise you none-the-less.
Actually, the Mullard name is part of New Sensor Corporation, as is Gold Lion. They are not going to be resurrected in any fashion.

At this point Brimar remains an English Company based in the midlands. Presently, they are a paper company, rebranding and selling New Sensor products. They are in the process of refurbishing Mullard equipment to manufacture and sell tubes made in the midlands of England in the future.

Please see the Great British valve project

Dec 23, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #4,926 of 6,436
Thank you for the clarification. I knew someone had purchased Mullard equipment with the intent of reviving the classic Birtish tube scene. Just got my wires crossed a bit as to who and where.

Dec 24, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #4,927 of 6,436
Actually, the Mullard name is part of New Sensor Corporation, as is Gold Lion. They are not going to be resurrected in any fashion.

At this point Brimar remains an English Company based in the midlands. Presently, they are a paper company, rebranding and selling New Sensor products. They are in the process of refurbishing Mullard equipment to manufacture and sell tubes made in the midlands of England in the future.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for their success. I'd like to see Brimar CV1988 - if it produces the same sound - for less than $100 or 200.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for their success. I'd like to see Brimar CV1988 - if it produces the same sound - for less than $100 or 200.

Dec 25, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #4,930 of 6,436
Looks like Qobuz changed their pricing to stay competitive with Amazon. Studio quality up to 192 k is only $14.99 a month! Down from $24.99 a month! Didn't even know they changed. What a Christmas present!
Hm, I pay Amazon $12.99 for HD music. I liked Qobuz a lot. Time to switch back, then. EDIT: No discounts for me in Belgium. Maybe I should re-register as a US client with a US bank account...

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #4,931 of 6,436
3744F509-9D39-46DF-B592-BC1A0DD15A76.jpeg6614AD90-1527-4BC9-84F3-0AAA6262A2F6.jpeg A197CBB5-A56A-463B-8C82-5B98BF63335B.jpeg I got Vali today. Here’s the tube that came with it. I don’t see any markings but maybe I don’t know where to look...

I’ve got maybe 90min on it so far. It seemed really wet, slow, bloomy and ‘tubey’ at first but seems to be tightening up a bit - actually maybe it’s my ears - some instruments in other tracks (piano, hand drums) kinda sound like crap :frowning2:

I’ve got the Dutch Amperex due here around Saturday but now I’m wondering if I’ll like a German tube. But I’ll try give this one a bunch more time before making changes.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #4,932 of 6,436
I let the amp play overnight while I slept. I still don't like the sound with stock tube at all - overall it's warm and wet, but there's too much mid color and too many details missing. Listening to 4 piece band (e. guitar, e. bass, piano, drums) the piano no longer sounds like a Yamaha (colored more dark) and is much harder to decipher from other instruments. Also things like hand drums lose detail - I hear the tone of the drum but loose the sound of the hand slapping. For certain pieces of music it's fun: acoustic jazz piano, where piano is the lead and is already a warm tone unlike a Yamaha, it sounds enjoyable. So I prefer the Magni at this point.

The Dutch Amperex (orange globe) is out for delivery - hopefully there will be a noticeable change and inspire me to try a more detailed tube. Otherwise I may be ordering another Magni.

Dec 27, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #4,933 of 6,436
I let the amp play overnight while I slept. I still don't like the sound with stock tube at all - overall it's warm and wet, but there's too much mid color and too many details missing. Listening to 4 piece band (e. guitar, e. bass, piano, drums) the piano no longer sounds like a Yamaha (colored more dark) and is much harder to decipher from other instruments. Also things like hand drums lose detail - I hear the tone of the drum but loose the sound of the hand slapping. For certain pieces of music it's fun: acoustic jazz piano, where piano is the lead and is already a warm tone unlike a Yamaha, it sounds enjoyable. So I prefer the Magni at this point.

The Dutch Amperex (orange globe) is out for delivery - hopefully there will be a noticeable change and inspire me to try a more detailed tube. Otherwise I may be ordering another Magni.

The tube you pictured previously looks very similar to the one that came with my Vali. Mine also without any visible exterior marking. I haven't spent any time researching it 'cause it was pretty meh sounding to my ears, but I suspect it's a US-made tube. I'm afraid to be the potential bearer of bad news, but if you find the sound of the Vali to be too "wet" with that tube, the Amperex is going to drop you in the middle of the ocean with no life jacket. Not that the Amperex is a bad tube by any means -- it's actually an extremely good tube if it's truly a Dutch made version, but it's just warmer and even wetter than the stock tube. :relaxed: Before you give up on the Vali altogether though, here's one that's certainly worth a try (short of using an adapter and going to a different tube type):

Brimar 6BQ7.jpg

There's one seller offering singles:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6BQ7A-BRIM...439675&hash=item3d88bdade5:g:gJgAAOSwidpdemA2

And another offering pairs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Matche...105074?hash=item547bd98232:g:5pQAAOSwt8Jd-qVL

I have never purchased anything from either, so caveat emptor. I see nothing that raises any red flags, but can't vouch for them either. Just FYI.

Dec 27, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #4,934 of 6,436
The tube you pictured previously looks very similar to the one that came with my Vali. Mine also without any visible exterior marking. I haven't spent any time researching it 'cause it was pretty meh sounding to my ears, but I suspect it's a US-made tube. I'm afraid to be the potential bearer of bad news, but if you find the sound of the Vali to be too "wet" with that tube, the Amperex is going to drop you in the middle of the ocean with no life jacket. Not that the Amperex is a bad tube by any means -- it's actually an extremely good tube if it's truly a Dutch made version, but it's just warmer and even wetter than the stock tube. :relaxed: Before you give up on the Vali altogether though, here's one that's certainly worth a try (short of using an adapter and going to a different tube type):

There's one seller offering singles:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6BQ7A-BRIM...439675&hash=item3d88bdade5:g:gJgAAOSwidpdemA2

And another offering pairs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Matche...105074?hash=item547bd98232:g:5pQAAOSwt8Jd-qVL

I have never purchased anything from either, so caveat emptor. I see nothing that raises any red flags, but can't vouch for them either. Just FYI.

I've acquired 2 pairs from the second seller, and love the tubes in my Valhalla. I also inquired of the seller re vintage, and was told they were from the 60's. Very nice tubes indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back