Vali 2 tube rolling
May 25, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #2,686 of 6,436
I got it from a 450v cap in a Cary amp once. Once was enough, and fortunately I didn't die. At least I don't think I did. :slight_smile:
With my grade 9 students, I natter on about how it's the current, not the voltage that's dangerous. I also have to deal with the AC versus DC fallacy... which one is more dangerous to use on a workbench (after that lesson, I occasionally get the odd hell-i-on who takes a dozen or so flashlight batteries and wire them up in series). Sigh.... BTW, I like how @Mr Trev zapped himself... and then did it again to look at the pretty arc. (+1) Nice! I'm working hard on making more proto-Mr_Trev (s) come up through the ranks. :)

May 25, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #2,687 of 6,436
With my grade 9 students, I natter on about how it's the current, not the voltage that's dangerous. I also have to deal with the AC versus DC fallacy... which one is more dangerous to use on a workbench (after that lesson, I occasionally get the odd hell-i-on who takes a dozen or so flashlight batteries and wire them up in series). Sigh.... BTW, I like how @Mr Trev zapped himself... and then did it again to look at the pretty arc. (+1) Nice! I'm working hard on making more proto-Mr_Trev (s) come up through the ranks. :)

ROFL! Just be sure you're not the one getting the credit for the idiotic zap victim that goes fatal. :slight_smile:

May 25, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #2,688 of 6,436
If anybody uses their amp upside down, I found a rectifier tube you should buy. :grinning:

upload_2019-5-25_18-18-50.png

May 25, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #2,689 of 6,436

Aw hell. That's just the tip of the iceberg of stupid s--t I did in my younger days

May 25, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #2,690 of 6,436
May 25, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #2,692 of 6,436
Another acquisition. This one is my new favorite. A Russian 6H8C from the 1960s that I got from Uspcale. Cheap and cheerful. Smooth and nice.
I have 3 of those. I really liked them when I first got them. One especially, stands out. But it soon fell out of my (RRR) routinely rolled rotation. I acquired them early on in my hunt, for the Holy Grail. :) Nothing wrong with them though.

May 25, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #2,693 of 6,436
Spent the day listening to the 1964 Sylvania JHD 5670s that arrived today. I didn't expect such big sound out of a,littlte tube. So far the top end is just a little rolled off from the 6sn7gt mouse ears, not worse just different. The sound stage is very wide and the imaging is 3 dimensional. The low end is tight with a good slam of authority. It checks all the boxes of what I look for in a tube. At no time did I feel the urge to change to another tube as if I was missing something. This was a real bargain at less than $11 a tube. If there are better sounding versions of this tube then I'm in for a real treat.

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #2,694 of 6,436
Spent the day listening to the 1964 Sylvania JHD 5670s that arrived today. I didn't expect such big sound out of a,littlte tube. So far the top end is just a little rolled off from the 6sn7gt mouse ears, not worse just different. The sound stage is very wide and the imaging is 3 dimensional. The low end is tight with a good slam of authority. It checks all the boxes of what I look for in a tube. At no time did I feel the urge to change to another tube as if I was missing something. This was a real bargain at less than $11 a tube. If there are better sounding versions of this tube then I'm in for a real treat.

Have you tried a Western Electric 396A? Not gonna find 'em for $11 a tube unfortunately, but they are one of the greats in that tube family (IMO).

May 27, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #2,696 of 6,436
Another acquisition. This one is my new favorite. A Russian 6H8C from the 1960s that I got from Uspcale. Cheap and cheerful. Smooth and nice.
Would you mind showing "us" it at work (the glow). I'm happy with my Slovakian glass (JJ Electronics); however, it's not as incandescent as my stock tube. :ksc75smile:

May 28, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #2,698 of 6,436
Would you mind showing "us" it at work (the glow). I'm happy with my Slovakian glass (JJ Electronics); however, it's not as incandescent as my stock tube. :ksc75smile:
glowing2.JPG The JJ has a good glow in a semi-dark room, especially inside the plate. But it takes a time exposure to really see them glow.

May 28, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #2,699 of 6,436
The JJ has a good glow in a semi-dark room, especially inside the plate. But it takes a time exposure to really see them glow.

I don't care about the glow...I want a tube with green plates like that. :grinning:

May 28, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #2,700 of 6,436
I don't care about the glow...I want a tube with green plates like that. :grinning:
Do your time exposures with a mercury halide dusk to dawn lamp outside the window...eerie green glow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back