Vali 2 tube rolling
May 17, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #2,611 of 6,436
Never took the cover off my Vali 2. Now that I think about it, that's very strange for me. :smile:

It should fit, just be sure that if the adapter has a metal base that the bottom of it isn't touching any of parts on the board (and end up shorting something out). The socket will probably lift it up high enough, but still take a close look before powering it up.
Looks like it will fit just fine without touching anything on the board. 20190517_193748.jpg

May 17, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #2,612 of 6,436
Looks like it will fit just fine without touching anything on the board.

Looks good to me. Let us know how it sounds.

May 17, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #2,613 of 6,436
Looks like it will fit just fine without touching anything on the board.

Yup, plenty of clearance with the top removed. Now if only you had one of those low-profile G1217 6sn7 adapters you could bore out the tube opening on the cover and it'd look like the 6sn7 was meant to be there. I thought of doing this myself many times, but I want to keep the stock cover intact - just in case

May 17, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #2,614 of 6,436
You mean it was made by GE and then branded as a Ken-Rad? Oh the sheer horror!!! I'm probably not going to sleep well tonight with nightmares of GE innards stuck inside something in the stash. I should probably dump the whole stash right now just to exorcise any possibility of a lurking demon.....

GE purchased KR. Look at the top of the tube. This is KR (for both smoke glass and clear glass).
upload_2019-5-17_21-12-4.png

May 17, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #2,616 of 6,436
Yup, plenty of clearance with the top removed. Now if only you had one of those low-profile G1217 6sn7 adapters you could bore out the tube opening on the cover and it'd look like the 6sn7 was meant to be there. I thought of doing this myself many times, but I want to keep the stock cover intact - just in case
I'm wondering if that G1217 adapter will even work. I have not tried it on my Vali 2, but I did try a 'standard' Chinese 6sn7 to ECC88 (the one I use on my Vali 2) on my Ember ll and It would not work. It was awhile ago and, I think, the heaters didn't fire up. But I'm not sure.
I checked continuity on the pins, and there's a slight difference in the wiring between the two.
On the 'standard' adapter, nothing is connected on the novel side to pin 9.
On the G1217 adapter, nothing is connected to pin 5 on the novel side.
That's the only difference I found. Be aware that I'm not real knowledgeable on tube stuff, but I really enjoy rolling and sampling their differences. :)

May 18, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #2,617 of 6,436
I'm wondering if that G1217 adapter will even work. I have not tried it on my Vali 2, but I did try a 'standard' Chinese 6sn7 to ECC88 (the one I use on my Vali 2) on my Ember ll and It would not work. It was awhile ago and, I think, the heaters didn't fire up. But I'm not sure.
I checked continuity on the pins, and there's a slight difference in the wiring between the two.
On the 'standard' adapter, nothing is connected on the novel side to pin 9.
On the G1217 adapter, nothing is connected to pin 5 on the novel side.
That's the only difference I found. Be aware that I'm not real knowledgeable on tube stuff, but I really enjoy rolling and sampling their differences. :)

Yeah, I'm not actually sure if those G1217s are made to be used with their amps running at the 12 or 6 setting - but judging from what you just mentioned, I'd say 12. For the record my 6sn7 adapter is actually a 12au7 to 6sn7. For kicks I did try plugging it directly into the Vali2 (with the top removed) and I believe I got the same result as you… no heater.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #2,618 of 6,436
The KEN-RAD JAN-CKR 6SN7 GT is a GE rebranded. I could be wrong.

Thank you for your observation. And, for disclaimer that you could be wrong - this is a somewhat rare admission, which indicates an expert. Yet perhaps your are right. The EIA code 188-5 on it belongs to GE, even if the factory it designates in Owensboro, Kentucky - the old Ken-Rad factory (not without fail, though - people say it has been used also on tubes imported from Canada or made by other companies, such as RCA - I do not know if it holds water). The date code is 1-22, and that is perhaps 1951, 22nd week. There is also a square on the base containing small letter "S" in top left corner, a "C" in top right corner, a large "A" in the middle, with small digits "280" at the bottom of the square, between the legs of the A. I do not know what the hell is this but I have seen it on other tubes and I would highly appreciate if anyone would enlighten me what is that?

The top mica is round, and the plates are not staggered. The bottom getter is rectangular, and the wires are copper.

Sure, I would love thinking this is one of the first VT-231 made by Ken-Rad in 1941, but it would not have the EIA code, would it? :ksc75smile:

Now, whether this a GE tube "rebranded" Ken-Rad is a good question. GE bought the factory and the brand, the tube is made in the same factory, so no doubt usig Ken-Rad brand is fully appropriate. One could designate the tubes made by Ken-Rad before it was purchased by GE a "pre-GE Ken-Rad".

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #2,619 of 6,436
Thank you for your observation. And, for disclaimer that you could be wrong - this is a somewhat rare admission, which indicates an expert. Yet perhaps your are right. The EIA code 188-5 on it belongs to GE, even if the factory it designates in Owensboro, Kentucky - the old Ken-Rad factory (not without fail, though - people say it has been used also on tubes imported from Canada or made by other companies, such as RCA - I do not know if it holds water). The date code is 1-22, and that is perhaps 1951, 22nd week. There is also a square on the base containing small letter "S" in top left corner, a "C" in top right corner, a large "A" in the middle, with small digits "280" at the bottom of the square, between the legs of the A. I do not know what the hell is this but I have seen it on other tubes and I would highly appreciate if anyone would enlighten me what is that?

The top mica is round, and the plates are not staggered. The bottom getter is rectangular, and the wires are copper.

Sure, I would love thinking this is one of the first VT-231 made by Ken-Rad in 1941, but it would not have the EIA code, would it? :ksc75smile:

Now, whether this a GE tube "rebranded" Ken-Rad is a good question. GE bought the factory and the brand, the tube is made in the same factory, so no doubt usig Ken-Rad brand is fully appropriate. One could designate the tubes made by Ken-Rad before it was purchased by GE a "pre-GE Ken-Rad".

I agree with this statement copied from the 6sn7gt reference thread:

'● “With reference to the KenRad, the first version can have either black glass or clear glass, always with staggered plates (I was the one who coined the 'staggered plates' moniker - there is zero sonic difference between the two). In the late 40's, when GE had taken more control over the KenRad operation, there was a second version with clear glass and in-line ribbed plates - it is NOTEABLY inferior sonically - gone is the big bass and the midrange bloom, added is a dry, slightly constricted sound with no magic.” -Robert H. (in personal correspondence)

May 18, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #2,620 of 6,436
I agree with this statement copied from the 6sn7gt reference thread:

'● “With reference to the KenRad, the first version can have either black glass or clear glass, always with staggered plates (I was the one who coined the 'staggered plates' moniker - there is zero sonic difference between the two). In the late 40's, when GE had taken more control over the KenRad operation, there was a. second version with clear glass and in-line ribbed plates - it is NOTEABLY inferior sonically - gone is the big bass and the midrange bloom, added is a dry, slightly constricted sound with no magic.” -Robert H. (in personal correspondence)
Alas, I cannot agree with this statement: The GE/Ken-Rad tube I have has not yet been tested, I do not (yet) have an older, pre-GE Ken-Rad with staggered plates to compare the sound, and the word "notably" is misspelled. @attmci , you have almost convinced me that this tube is obnoxious crap, in any case, you have done a good job towards it :) Thank you, anyway - it is good to know the facts and also the opinions. Do you have an idea what is that sAc marking, please?

May 18, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #2,621 of 6,436
Yeah, I'm not actually sure if those G1217s are made to be used with their amps running at the 12 or 6 setting - but judging from what you just mentioned, I'd say 12. For the record my 6sn7 adapter is actually a 12au7 to 6sn7. For kicks I did try plugging it directly into the Vali2 (with the top removed) and I believe I got the same result as you… no heater.

12AU7 and 6922 are not the same. The Vali is a 6922-based amp socket. BHC and others are 12AU7 based amps and could use the G1217 adapter for 6SN7, but 6922 based amps need a completely different pin-out, despite sharing the 9pin form factor.

May 18, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #2,622 of 6,436
Alas, I cannot agree with this statement: The GE/Ken-Rad tube I have has not yet been tested, I do not (yet) have an older, pre-GE Ken-Rad with staggered plates to compare the sound, and the word "notably" is misspelled. @attmci , you have almost convinced me that this tube is obnoxious crap, in any case, you have done a good job towards it :) Thank you, anyway - it is good to know the facts and also the opinions. Do you have an idea what is that sAc marking, please?
I don't know about the sAc. Never paid attention.

You should find some fine tubes made in UK (you locates in EU). Those are my favorites .

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #2,623 of 6,436

There is inconsistency (at best) with the EIA codes at least on US-made tubes. Some have the EIA code of whoever the real manufacturer was regardless of the brand markings elsewhere, while some have the brand-name's EIA code even when the tube was made by someone else. This is especially prevalent with 7N7's that were only made by Sylvania and National Union, yet have the EIA codes of GE, CBS, and Tung-Sol (among others) printed on the bottle.

May 18, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #2,624 of 6,436
A Sovtek that sounds good will be unusual. Not suggesting it can't be good, just that most tubes branded as Sovtek were mid-90's or later production and are, well, nothing special (to be kind). Any clues to indicate what year that was made?
Well, it says "Made in USSR", so before 1991. My guess is very late970ties 80ties or very early 1990. Mike Matthews business, he started the tubes business in 1988. Made by Reflector, Saratov. Now as to the sound. I also have a Sovtek 6SN7 "Made in Russia", which sounds OK but not special. The USSR one is better. Perhaps slightly better materials and tighter quality control. Rather transparent and precise, fast, good timbral balance, wide and deep soundstage. Not a match for MELZ, that was a joke. But above average.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #2,625 of 6,436
12AU7 and 6922 are not the same. The Vali is a 6922-based amp socket. BHC and others are 12AU7 based amps and could use the G1217 adapter for 6SN7, but 6922 based amps need a completely different pin-out, despite sharing the 9pin form factor.

I totally get that. I'm just one of those idiots that just can't leave well enough alone and had a faint hope that even though my octal adapter was 12au7 based, maybe it had some funky Oriental mojo going on that would make it work anyhow.:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back