Vali 2 tube rolling
May 13, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #2,566 of 6,436
Yeah, sure. Like there are any virgins in Komsomolka....

:smiley:

Komsomolka (Kazakhstan)... Isn't that where Borat was from?

"Republic of Kazakhstan (Kazakh: Қазақстан Республикасы, romanized: Qazaqstan Respýblıkasy; Russian: Республика Казахстан, tr. Respublika Kazakhstan),is the world's largest landlocked country, and the ninth largest in the world, with an area of 2,724,900 square kilometres (1,052,100 sq mi). It is a transcontinental country largely located in Asia; the most western parts are in Europe. Kazakhstan is the dominant nation of Central Asia economically, generating 60% of the region's GDP, primarily through its oil and gas industry. It also has vast mineral resources." --Wikipedia

May 13, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #2,567 of 6,436
Dear fellow tube rollers on Vali 2, I think this thread has become too technical. No, I am not suggesting to discuss matching tubes and music, as to each his own, too personal and potentially incendiary. Instead, I suggest to discuss matching tube and wine. I have received my wine stock replenishment on Saturday, mostly Italian wines this time. Rosso di Montefalco matches my twin 6C5C in character just perfectly: mellow, clear, resolved, but a tad relaxed.

However, the idea poses a methodological challenge in case of twin triodes: two tubes, one bottle, one glass. Should I use two glasses or two bottles? Or, should I stick to double triods, which, after all, come in one bottle?

Clearly a First World Dilemma. Not to be confused with the question everyone has always asked, "What wines pairs well with Salmon?" The Answer, "Sockeye from the Russian River, or Wal-mart?" of course Rose...

May 13, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #2,568 of 6,436
Clearly a First World Dilemma

It is just a coincidence, that I opened a wine from Montefalco (which happens to be north of Rome, hence the First World location). Saratov, where 6C5C had been made was the Second World then. Should I have picked a bottle of Salice Salentino (also excellent), that would have been a Third World Problem, without much argument. Sadly, you have not suggest a solution to the methodological dilemma of one bottle - two bottles.

May 13, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #2,569 of 6,436
It is just a coincidence, that I opened a wine from Montefalco (which happens to be north of Rome, hence the First World location). Saratov, where 6C5C had been made was the Second World then. Should I have picked a bottle of Salice Salentino (also excellent), that would have been a Third World Problem, without much argument. Sadly, you have not suggest a solution to the methodological dilemma of one bottle - two bottles.

Bottles? I thought all wine came in boxes...with a pour spout. Well, the expensive ones have a pour spout. :relaxed:

May 13, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #2,570 of 6,436
Bottles? I thought all wine came in boxes...with a pour spout. Well, the expensive ones have a pour spout. :relaxed:
I wonder if they still do electrical lobotomies? I had the same thought as Bill but without mentioning the pour spout, something is very wrong here, time to seek a solution.

I am no help with wines from Italy sorry, unless they are from Tuscany.

Now Belgium has Gulden Draak beer, I am more familiar with that.

May 13, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #2,571 of 6,436
I wonder if they still do electrical lobotomies? I had the same thought as Bill but without mentioning the pour spout, something is very wrong here, time to seek a solution.

Personally, I would prefer a full bottle in front of me instead of a pre-frontal labotomy...+1 for box-o-wine on sale at Kroger for $4.99 for 5 liters

May 13, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #2,572 of 6,436
+1 for box-o-wine on sale at Kroger for $4.99 for 5 liters

Dang man, you go for the good stuff. I settle for the $3.99 box...but only when it's on the buy one, get one free special. :relaxed:

May 14, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #2,573 of 6,436
Oh, Posted in a wrong thread

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/official-schiit-vali-2-thread.790828/page-171#post-14953984

IMG_20190514_204001.jpg

May 14, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #2,574 of 6,436
May 14, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #2,575 of 6,436
Maybe he has the air conditioner turned down. :smirk:

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #2,576 of 6,436
Those tubes have some of the biggest nipples I've ever seen. You haven't been tube shopping in Amsterdam again have you?

:stuck_out_tongue:
No. I shopped in Canada for those tubes. I wanted to try twin setup for noval single triode tubes. Hence welcome to 2 x Siemens EC8010. Extra robust and resistant military tubes, 1968, for airborne applications @Robert Padgett

May 15, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #2,577 of 6,436
No. I shopped in Canada for those tubes. I wanted to try twin setup for noval single triode tubes. Hence welcome to 2 x Siemens EC8010. Extra robust and resistant military tubes, 1968, for airborne applications @Robert Padgett

"Rangers lead the Way"

But how did they sound?

May 15, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #2,578 of 6,436
"Rangers lead the Way"

But how did they sound?
I am still trying. Extremely wide, deep and precise soundstage. Very transparent and good resolution. Fast. Tight bass. However, bright. So bright, that could not enjoy on K702 - switched to HE400i. That helped reduce brightness without harming transparency and precision. Still, something is missing a little. Very little, but I do not enjoy them at the same degree as my other good tubes. Not quite captured that yet. Maybe "Vorsprung durch technik", you know, a bit too much German precision? I have hopes to try it in the aune T1 DAC, trying to pair with warmer tubes in Vali 2.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #2,579 of 6,436
I am still trying. Extremely wide, deep and precise soundstage. Very transparent and good resolution. Fast. Tight bass. However, bright. So bright, that could not enjoy on K702 - switched to HE400i. That helped reduce brightness without harming transparency and precision. Still, something is missing a little. Very little, but I do not enjoy them at the same degree as my other good tubes. Not quite captured that yet. Maybe "Vorsprung durch technik", you know, a bit too much German precision? I have hopes to try it in the aune T1 DAC, trying to pair with warmer tubes in Vali 2.
Since the Aune is a tube type dac, I have used it in conjunction with the Vali to achieve a sound signature to my liking. You gain a bit of versatility using both.

May 15, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #2,580 of 6,436
Since the Aune is a tube type dac, I have used it in conjunction with the Vali to achieve a sound signature to my liking. You gain a bit of versatility using both.
Have you achieved some good combinations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back