Vali 2 tube rolling
Mar 3, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #1,921 of 6,436
Bill was probably down in his tube cave ogling his stash of tubes and not paying attention.

Well crap. Guess I really didn't want one anyway. :weary:

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #1,922 of 6,436
Sounds great. Right now they have a pretty inflated price and they may well be they sell for under $20 in Russia. My seller paid shipping as well as Ebay fees and those drove up the price as well. I am always curious when I hear about such tubes and if you can locate some from folks you trust I will certainly try to make it worth your time and trouble.
What one has to keep in mind is that buying from Eastern European sellers is a hassle with payment, and also a risk. I recently bought 2 Reflektor 6N23P from Bulgaria on ebay, and one of them only worked a couple of hours - but they were not cheap. The MELZ 6N8S (6SN7 ; ECC82) with round holes seem to have disappeared from Russia and Ukraine on a quick look; theones with different plates with oval holes still around. I have checked today, MELZ 6SL7 (ECC35) still around, and prices not inflated.

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #1,923 of 6,436
What one has to keep in mind is that buying from Eastern European sellers is a hassle with payment, and also a risk. I recently bought 2 Reflektor 6N23P from Bulgaria on ebay, and one of them only worked a couple of hours - but they were not cheap. The MELZ 6N8S (6SN7 ; ECC82) with round holes seem to have disappeared from Russia and Ukraine on a quick look; theones with different plates with oval holes still around. I have checked today, MELZ 6SL7 (ECC35) still around, and prices not inflated.

Yes I started to do business with some folks there and was told that I needed to figure on losing about 10% that was needed for bribes. Another factor is the dollar value has been sliding there since 2016 so what might have been $20 at one point may not sell for that much now. I am not sure I can use 6SL7's myself.

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #1,924 of 6,436
Well crap. Guess I really didn't want one anyway. :weary:

In about another week you will be able to get multiple opinions on them. They will either love them or a lynch party may form because I may have influenced them a bit with my opinions.

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #1,925 of 6,436
In about another week you will be able to get multiple opinions on them. They will either love them or a lynch party may form because I may have influenced them a bit with my opinions.

A lynch mob? No way. If anybody gets all whiney about it, just remind them that your hearing is superior and they're obviously just a @Ripper2860 wanker.

That's what I do.

:sweat_smile:

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #1,926 of 6,436
@bcowen -- Got it!! RX-8 not 7 ... :wink:

Check your PM, dingle-berry.

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #1,927 of 6,436
Mar 14, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #1,928 of 6,436
Finally got my 6SN7 Adapter today. Been listening for an hour now with a vintage Tung Sol 6SN7 "Mouse Ear". Wow. Thanks to whoever tried this first and gave the tipp. I'll take some time to evaluate but initial impressions are great.

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #1,930 of 6,436
Indeed! Funny thing is I even like the Vali2 as Linestage more with the 6SN7. Idk why but it's definitly nicer with the Tung Sol than with the Electro Harmonix 6CG7. I once listened to a DIY Tube Pre that was based on 6SN7 - wonderfull.

Mar 14, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #1,931 of 6,436
Finally got my 6SN7 Adapter today. Been listening for an hour now with a vintage Tung Sol 6SN7 "Mouse Ear". Wow. Thanks to whoever tried this first and gave the tip. I'll take some time to evaluate but initial impressions are great.
I found another Mouse-ears and I am enjoying it immensely.
@Keno18, have you ever seen a Mouse-ears with a three-hole black plate instead of gray plates with two holes?
Just curious as I have have found no reference to this type on the internet.

Mar 14, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #1,932 of 6,436
I found another Mouse-ears and I am enjoying it immensely.
@Keno18, have you ever seen a Mouse-ears with a three-hole black plate instead of gray plates with two holes?
Just curious as I have have found no reference to this type on the internet.
No, I've never seen it mentioned anywhere. I checked my other tubes, they're all gray plates with two holes. I wonder if the earlier versions were all black plates. The earliest I have is '52.

Mar 14, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #1,933 of 6,436
mouse.JPG
No, I've never seen it mentioned anywhere. I checked my other tubes, they're all gray plates with two holes. I wonder if the earlier versions were all black plates. The earliest I have is '52.
This one was date code 8/51, and I think it may be a rare version, maybe a prototype Tung-Sol made, before settling on the two-hole gray plates. It has a tremendous bass slam, often associated with Sylvania "Bad Boy" tubes. For me, it is just a good sounding tube that sounds better than the one I broke...

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #1,934 of 6,436

This one was date code 8/51, and I think it may be a rare version, maybe a prototype Tung-Sol made, before settling on the two-hole gray plates. It has a tremendous bass slam, often associated with Sylvania "Bad Boy" tubes. For me, it is just a good sounding tube that sounds better than the one I broke...
It seems like the earlier the tube the better the sound. Treat that one well.

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #1,935 of 6,436

For me, it is just a good sounding tube that sounds better than the one I broke...

I'm guessing most any tube would sound better than the broken one.

Maybe even a GE. :relaxed: :stuck_out_tongue:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back