Valhalla, Too Much Bite for AT Cans?
Sep 4, 2011 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Butler

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm certainly getting Schiit's Bifrost DAC sometime after it comes out- after all with optical in I can literally use it as a sound card on my new computer that I'm planning on building. However I'd like to get a Schiit amp to pair with it. As you can see from my signature, nearly all my cans are Audio-Technica's. A modded pair of W5000's, PRO5MK2's, and ESW9's. I understand this amp isn't reccomended for headphones that are under 32 ohms. All of my AT cans, last time I checked are slightly higher impedance than that. Should I be all set with the Valhalla? I've read that it really mellows out some harsh trebles, and this would be great because the W5000's are guilty of that! Or should I play it safe and go with the Asgard? I'd really like to get into tubes, as you may see.

Thanks for any input.

Sep 4, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #2 of 8
Why not ? the better thing is to try , some will like tube , other ss amp ... , and with schiit there is money back no ?

just use no gain or minimum gain setting and it should be fine with your ATs . 

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 8
I forgot about Schiit's policy, that's a good idea! I was hoping I could get some first hand input from some people who have rocked this amp before/ and or have experience with AT cans.

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #4 of 8
Code:
 When I was an owner of W5000 I wrote to Jason. And he said: "Neither amp is a great choice for the A-Ts, however--Lyr is overkill, and Valhalla will struggle with their low impedance."

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 8
Code:
When I was an owner of W5000 I wrote to Jason. And he said:"Neither amp is a great choice for the A-Ts, however--Lyr is overkill, and Valhalla will struggle with their low impedance."

What do you think he means by "struggle"? I'd figured it would just be relatively sensitive. I'm really wanting to venture into the world of tubes, which would help tone down some of the shrillness…. and I'd love to get a Valhalla to match the Bifrost that it will be paired with. On their site, Schiit says that the Valhalla is fine for everything over 32ohms and the W5000's are 40. I understand it's close…

Sep 7, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #6 of 8
Does schiit ever had an AT can ? Probably yes but just wondering ^^
 there must be guys using AT can's with tube amps ... yes OTL amp are known to like high impedence cans but if Valhalla is rated to work with 32-600 ohms can's your AT's are in the spec , it will work , the thing is how good will it work (or bad) But i am sure to have seen someone here enjoying his AD2000 with an OTL amp .
Safety will bring you more toward an SS amp but first impressions can be right ^^

Sep 7, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 8
Oh I know there are people using AT's with tube amps.

I'm trying trying to get some input here. Technically Valhalla will work with the ~40 ohm W5000's.
Will it be terrible? That's what I want to know. The AD2000's have the same impedance.

Maybe I'll just email Jason, I don't want to be a pain. I'd like to hear back from the community with any experience they may have or insights.

Sep 10, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 8
Perhaps someone could comment on the 6Moons audio review of the Valhalla? He actually says W5000's arn't that bad of a pair, if the sound it provides is what you're looking for.

For those with headphones like the W5000 and PS-1000 which can go for either Schiit unconditionally, how to choose? For the purest treble, Asgard. For maximal control in the bass, Asgard. For fluidity on poetic long-decay stuff and the most three-D staging, Valhalla. For greatest vocal sex, Valhalla. For 'lesser' sources, Asgard again. These aren't day and night differences but mere shades of gray

Via- http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/schiit/8.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back