• Feliks Echo 2018

• Schiit Valhalla 2

Results are only viewable after voting.
post-16083111
Post #1 of 2

elrey

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hello. I have a versus question. I currently own a Schiit Valhalla 2 (stock tubes), and I am getting a second amp. I like the Valhalla, but I am looking at the Feliks Echo to diversify or even improve my setup.

Some of my thoughts:
  • One thing that I like about the Echo is the "automatic bias circuit, therefore no re-tuning is required after changing tubes". I have no idea how to do that on the Valhalla or if it is required.
  • I don't like that the Valhalla and Echo use 6N6P tubes because there is no straightforward replacement, but at the same time, it is probably a good idea to use the same tubes in both amps.
  • There is a difference in the frequency response. The Valhalla is listed as 20Hz - 20KHz, -0.1db, 7Hz - 200KHz, -3dB. On the other hand, the Echo is listed as 15Hz - 45KHz +/-3dB. Are those values comparable? Can I assume that the Valhalla is a better match for the Sennheiser HD800? (4 - 51KHz (-10 dB))

Has anyone tried the Valhalla and the Echo? Any thoughts? Also, what other factors should I consider when making this decision?

Thanks!

post-16104084
Post #2 of 2

schneiderdn1974

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hello. I have a versus question. I currently own a Schiit Valhalla 2 (stock tubes), and I am getting a second amp. I like the Valhalla, but I am looking at the Feliks Echo to diversify or even improve my setup.

Some of my thoughts:
  • One thing that I like about the Echo is the "automatic bias circuit, therefore no re-tuning is required after changing tubes". I have no idea how to do that on the Valhalla or if it is required.
  • I don't like that the Valhalla and Echo use 6N6P tubes because there is no straightforward replacement, but at the same time, it is probably a good idea to use the same tubes in both amps.
  • There is a difference in the frequency response. The Valhalla is listed as 20Hz - 20KHz, -0.1db, 7Hz - 200KHz, -3dB. On the other hand, the Echo is listed as 15Hz - 45KHz +/-3dB. Are those values comparable? Can I assume that the Valhalla is a better match for the Sennheiser HD800? (4 - 51KHz (-10 dB))

Has anyone tried the Valhalla and the Echo? Any thoughts? Also, what other factors should I consider when making this decision?

Thanks!
Hi, . . . I'm wondering what you're looking for in the Echo that the Valhalla 2 isn't giving you (e.g., warmer sound signature, wider sound stage, etc.). The reason I ask is you didn't mention if you've rolled any tubes with the Valhalla 2. I don't have any experience with the Echo (it looks like a nice OTL amp), but I've rolled a number of tubes in the Valhalla 2 which changes the sound signature quite a bit, especially with 300 ohm cans like the HD800 (note: I also use use both HD800S and HD650 with my Valhalla 2). With the HD800S and HD650s, I didn't prefer the sound of the stock 6N1P tubes with the Valhalla 2. The best sounding tubes I've found to date for the "Valhalla 2 + HD800S" are the "6CG7 RCA Clear Tops" available for ~$60/each from TubeDepot (https://tubedepot.com/products/6cg7-6fq7-rca-clear-top), followed by "Electro-Harmonix 6CG7s" for ~$28/each, also from TubeDepot (https://tubedepot.com/products/electro-harmonix-6cg7-6fq7-eh-preamp-vacuum-tube). Both of these tubes add an audible degree of lushness and warmth and can be installed directly into the Valhalla 2 (front two 6N1P slots only) without the need for any adapters or re-tuning (note: if you order either of these tubes, make sure you check the box for "matching" so your left/right channels sound the same).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)