Echo or Valhalla?

• Feliks Echo 2018

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Schiit Valhalla 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 25, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #31 of 42
I have been eyeing the Valhalla 2 for a long time. I have an Asgard 3 that I love, but I'm really curious about the tubes. I'm getting a bonus soon, and I have to say that I may just get the Valhalla. I have HD6xx headphones, but I'm looking at the Focal Elex as well. Anybody pair the Valhalla 2 with those?
As far as a recommendation, I love Schiit's products!
Hello, I used the Valhalla 2 with the HD6XX for a few months, and they pair well, but as schneiderdn1974 mentions, it will sound quite different from your Asgard.

As a side note, I also own a Schiit solid state amp (Jot 2) and enjoy being able to switch back and forth between the super accurate/analytical solid state sound and the warmer/more laid back tube sound. If you're looking for lots of sound signature options, I highly recommend the Vahalla 2 as a second amp.
That is a good description of the differences that you can expect. Tube amps are commonly regarded as "warm," and they are definitely not perfect. The tubes will introduce distortions, which make them sound tuby.

Feb 27, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #32 of 42
Somewhat off topic, but I recently purchased a Furman PST-6 power conditioner ($94 via Amazon) to provide conditioned power to my Valhalla 2, Jot 2, and Bifrost 2. Although I wasn't hearing much background hum from my Valhalla 2 (on high gain) before using the Furman, I do think there is less now that it's plugged into the PST-6. Here's a good YouTube video that includes the Furman in case you're interested:

Since all my Schiit gear is stacked and the three stock power chords are quite close to my XLR/RCA audio transmission cables, I also purchased three "WAudio 3.3FT AC Power Cable 10AWG HiFi Audiophile" power cords (in addition to the Furman PST-6 power strip). They are available for $36/each via Amazon and appear to be high quality, at least from the exterior (Amazon link below).

https://www.amazon.com/WAudio-Hi-En...ower+Cord&qid=1614472396&s=electronics&sr=1-1

I can't say if they actually do anything to improve sound quality, but they are definitely a lot heavier/thicker and appear to provide superior shielding compared to the stock power chords (I can only assume this should be beneficial to the overall system/sound). The only downside I've notice so far is they require quite a bit more space directly behind components due to their size/thickness (see photos). Otherwise, they are quite nice and since they are only 3.3FT, they don't pile up in a big mess all over my floor like the longer stock power chords (note: the 3.3FT length is just enough to run from my top component to the power strip on the floor 36" below with a little extra play in the chord -- see bottom photo).

IMG_0348.jpgIMG_0349.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #33 of 42
I would imagine the warmth is very welcome, yes. But, the tubes have to have great detail also because you will immediately notice any slop with these headphones.
So, . . . I listened to the JJ E88CC/6922 Gold Pin tubes for a few days and then briefly switched back to the E88CC/6922 Gold Lions before dropping the RCA 6CG7 Clear Tops back in (i.e., listening to the same few tracks as I switched out the tubes). As gimmeheadroom mentioned, the midrange and treble resolution in the JJ's is lacking quite a bit compared to the other two tubes. That said, bass impact/presence and a very warm signature definitely seems to be the JJs strength. If you're not listening from a critical standpoint, I think the JJ GP is quite a fun/engaging/musical tube, especially with headphones that benefit from the extra low-end warmth and presence the JJs bring to the table.

Comparing the Gold Lions to the JJs, I noticed the Lions definitely have much better midrange and treble resolution and sparkle as well as much tighter/more accurate (but much less impactful) low end. Although I think the Gold Lions are good all around tube (and probably even a bit more accurate than the RCAs), to me the RCA Clear Tops seem to take everything up a few notches while also providing a more natural and engaging overall listening experience.

As a side note, it's still a bit puzzling to me that with all of today's modern technology, we can't seem to manufacture a new production tube that rivals products made 40+ years ago. Maybe the manufactures are just trying to sell us all the remaining NOS tubes for big $$$ before rolling out the new fantastic stuff??? :)

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #34 of 42
Which RCA cables are you using?
Comparing the Gold Lions to the JJs, I noticed the Lions definitely have much better midrange and treble resolution and sparkle as well as much tighter/more accurate (but much less impactful) low end. Although I think the Gold Lions are good all around tube (and probably even a bit more accurate than the RCAs), to me the RCA Clear Tops seem to take everything up a few notches while also providing a more natural and engaging overall listening experience.
I will have to try the RCA Clear Tops, do you use an adapter or just plug in?

Feb 28, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #35 of 42
Which RCA cables are you using?

I will have to try the RCA Clear Tops, do you use an adapter or just plug in?
No adapters needed for the RCA Clear Tops; any of the 6CG7 tubes will plug directly into the Valhalla 2.

My RCA interconnects are Moon Audio Black Dragon 1.5 FT with the standard "Cardas GRMO RCA Rhodium" option (link below), and my XLR cables (from B2 to Jot2) are the "PYST 10-inch XLR" from Schiit Audio.

I also replaced both of my stock headphone cables (HD800S and Focal Clear) with Moon Audio "5FT Black Dragon Headphone Cable V2" and have both terminated with "4-pin Furutech Male XLR [Rhodium]" balanced connections so I can easily switch between balanced and SE. To connect either of them to SE, I also purchased a 1FT "Black Dragon Headphone Adapter Cable V2" with the "4-pin Furutech Female Balanced XLR [Rhodium]" (headphone connection) and a "1/4-in TRS Furutech Male [Gold]" amplifier connection (see links below).

I don't know if you've ever purchased any interconnects or headphone cables from Moon Audio, but their build quality is absolutely top notch. For the price, I had expected them to be really good, but I was blown away by the materials and craftmanship/build quality when I received them (see photos).

The 5FT headphone cables (6FT when the SE adapter is connected) are much easier to manage compared to the ~10FT stock cables that came with my HD800S and Focal Clears, and I can still stand up and take a step or two before running out of cable (i.e., with the stock ~10FT HD800S cable, I was constantly having to move all of it around in my lap and would roll into it with my desk chair). The 5FT/6FT Black Dragon cables don't touch the floor when I'm listening at my desk, and they are perfect in terms of stiffness (i.e., flexible enough to allow me to move around freely without noticing them, and rigid enough to not lay in a big pile on my lap). The outer cable coating is also quite slick, so they move around easily when touching your desktop, lap, shirt, etc. I highly recommend both Moon Audio products.

RCA Clear Tops: https://www.tubedepot.com/products/6cg7-6fq7-rca-clear-top

RCA Interconnect: https://www.moon-audio.com/moon-audio-black-dragon-v1-interconnect.html

Headphone Cable: https://www.moon-audio.com/black-dragon-headphone-cable-v2.html

Headphone Cable Adapter: https://www.moon-audio.com/black-dragon-extension-adapter-cable-v2.html

File_001 (2).jpegFile_000 (5).jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #36 of 42
I did some testing today. I came up with the idea to use a different tube per channel—the JJ Gold Pin on the right channel and the Gold Lion on the left. Of course, it is silly because my expectation was for the Valhalla 2 to sound like crap. The second part of the test was to prepare a set of tracks in Adobe Audition that I exported as monophonic tracks. Those were the tracks that I used for testing with the Senn HD800S.

I noticed the difference that you mentioned in the bass, where the JJ Gold Pin is noticeable more impactful. Although I did not notice a huge difference in the mid-range, it is there. The thought part is that I can't say which one I prefer. I have been using the JJ Gold Pin for about a month, and now I switched to the Gold Lions to listen to them with time and evaluate the "lasting impression", But I think that my hearing is not as educated as I thought...

Feb 28, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #37 of 42
I haven't seen a euro source for the Gold Lions. Anybody know where I can grab some?

Feb 28, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #38 of 42
Feb 28, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #39 of 42
I know, it's easy to find anything in America. It's just not worth paying to import it.

Mar 5, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #40 of 42
Mar 6, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #41 of 42
Thank you! That was very kind of you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back