Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Apr 28, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #481 of 907
I am trying to keep my budget under $300 for the headphones right now.  I just ordered my Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 and the Modi 2 Uber along with a pair of their PYST RCA cables so I am already invested $540.  I know that is probably WAY cheap compared to many here but being a "newbie" I think this is probably a good start.  Not sure I know what the "V2" is.  I am not a big heavy bass fan (like Dr. Dre) but I do enjoy a good solid bass. I was a DJ from back in the 1970's and use to own a pair of the Green KOSS cans I used on the radio.

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #482 of 907
I would unhesitatingly go with the V2 over Asgard 2 for those high impedance headphones. That amp is practically tailored for the Beyers and Senns. Plus, it makes a wonderful entry setup for HD800/T1.

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #483 of 907
Duh...I guess I was not thinking.  Now I understand what the "V2" was you were talking about.  I guess because I was never interested in a tube amp when the "original" Valhalla was released.  At any rate, I am all set with the Senns hd-600's now.  Just have to wait for all the goodies to show up at my doorstep!  Can't wait.  I have a brand new unopened copy of 40th Anniversary Dark Side of the Moon on 180gm vinyl that I am dying to hear! 

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #484 of 907
Duh...I guess I was not thinking.  Now I understand what the "V2" was you were talking about.  I guess because I was never interested in a tube amp when the "original" Valhalla was released.  At any rate, I am all set with the Senns hd-600's now.  Just have to wait for all the goodies to show up at my doorstep!  Can't wait.  I have a brand new unopened copy of 40th Anniversary Dark Side of the Moon on 180gm vinyl that I am dying to hear! 

So you have the Valhalla 2 coming?

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #486 of 907
Yes....I just ordered a V2 and the Modi 2 Uber yesterday.

Congratulations! You have done better than me. I just finally got my first otl amp for my HD-650s after owning them for several years. You will be pretty happy with this setup for awhile, I wager.

Do report back with your impressions after some extended burn-in and listening.

Apr 29, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #487 of 907
I will do that.  I just realized that I forgot to order the Phono Pre-amp.  Oh well, I guess I may have to hold off on the Pink Floyd 40th DSOM for a bit.  It's OK though....I got to see them live "almost" that long ago!!!!  LOL

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #488 of 907
I own both the Asgard 2 and the Valhalla 2 current dac is the uberfrost and have been alternating days with both amps and the sennheiser hd600s and have to say that every time I think the Asgard 2 does a great job with these phones I plug them into the Valhalla 2 and the sound just seems to come alive. I will always hang onto my Asgard 2 because I need it for my lower impedance headphones as the Valhalla 2 only really seems to shine with high ohms.

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #489 of 907
Also you guys should check out the soundtrack for the movie It Follows alot of creepy music that sounds like 70s horror movie music (think the shining) . The reason I bring this up is that the Valhalla 2 really brings out the emotion of the music that the Asgard 2 doesn't .

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #490 of 907
Also you guys should check out the soundtrack for the movie It Follows alot of creepy music that sounds like 70s horror movie music (think the shining) . The reason I bring this up is that the Valhalla 2 really brings out the emotion of the music that the Asgard 2 doesn't .

I believe it. OTL amps really awaken the Senns with their higher voltage.

Thanks for the soundtrack recommendation. I love The Shining soundtrack.

Apr 30, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #491 of 907
Valhalla gives a price/performance ratio that hasn't been done before with any HD 800 suitable amp. It's that damn good. THAT daaaaaaaaamn good. 

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #493 of 907
Hi to all,

I have just received my Valhalla 2 - first tube amp, and extremely impressed. The hype was no exaggeration, and it drives my new HD800s truly impressively.

However, the unit itself produces a transformer-related mechanical hum. It is fairly quiet as the unit is cold and just turned on (have to press your ear on the chassis to hear it), but rises in intensity as the tubes warm up. Its not a deal-breaker per se, as no hum can be heard through the phones, but I am wondering whether others have it, or whether its out of the norm. I am using power conditioning to ensure that the correct voltage (230V in my case) reaches the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back