Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Mar 26, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #466 of 907
Ive used both the hd 600 and hd 650 on this amp and only really noticed the static sound tonight in the first hour or so I had the amp turned on using the hd 650s it has since went away after the amp warmed up but will have to see tomorrow if it does it again. I used to own a dt 880/600 and used it with my Valhalla 1 and remember it needing to be a little higher to get same volume compared to the 600/650 ( 11 o'clock for 650 was about same as 1 o'clock for dt 880/600 ) but never had any static problems with original Valhalla

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #468 of 907
The amp itself sounds great the static is very minor I'm just trying to narrow down the problem it may just be a noisey tube.

I have recently noticed a small background hum from my Valhalla 2. Today, I removed the tubes and put them back in, being careful to ensure that each was fully inserted and well seated. The hum seems to have all but disappeared, which implies that the tubes were slightly loose. You might want to try that and see if it makes a difference.

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #469 of 907
I have recently noticed a small background hum from my Valhalla 2. Today, I removed the tubes and put them back in, being careful to ensure that each was fully inserted and well seated. The hum seems to have all but disappeared, which implies that the tubes were slightly loose. You might want to try that and see if it makes a difference.
thanks melange I did just as you described and the static is gone must have been a loose tube :)

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #472 of 907
*edit*

Whups, just realized this is Valhalla 2 thread; not Valhalla.  I'd delete but I can't seem to find the option

*/edit*.

I've had my Valhalla for a few years now and have enjoyed it greatly.  However, recently (few days) the right channel seems to almost.. buzz.. at certain frequencies.  It's not limited to a single pair of headphones.

Chain being Desktop -> Hub -> Schiit Modi -> <switch> -> Schiit Valhalla -> hd650

Is this a sign of tube wear?  Or should I look elsewhere for the problem?  I have to deconstruct the stack to remove other potential problems; but it did seem to happen all-of-a-sudden.

-Chris

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #473 of 907
I am considering purchasing the Valhalla 2.  I was interested to know your thoughts since I am also considering the LD MK IV se.

Since they are both about the same price I am leaning more towards the Schiit based on the 5 Year warranty and Made in USA product.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,  John G in Sunny Southern Florida

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #477 of 907
That should be a really nice setup. I think if I were trying to drive high impedance headphones and I wanted the most value/performance, I would do exactly that--Modi 2 Uber and Valhalla 2.

Which headphones will you be driving? 

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #478 of 907
  Thanks for the reply.  I am getting ready to pull the trigger soon.  I think what I am going to end up doing is purchasing  both the Valhalla 2 and the Modi 2 Uber.

I have that setup. It works great with high impedance HPs. I have the HD650s, HD800s, and 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT880s.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #479 of 907
I have been doing some reading and I think I am going to try and find a pair of Sennheiser HD-600's.  I have also looked at the HD-650's and the Beyerdynamic DT-880's. (600 ohm)

Still not sure yet

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #480 of 907
I just bought the HD-600s. Although I may go with a used Asgard 2 for less coin. Not sure if V2 is worth the extra $150 or so (V2 would be new). Really want good bass impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back