Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Mar 18, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #452 of 907
Approached Schiit to determine if 6N30P can be used in place of 6N6P.  They responded very swiftly to the effect that they don't have much experience with tubes other than stock with Valhalla 2.

They kindly volunteered the following information though:

***The output tube on V2 is biased by a CCS (constant current source) feeding approx 6mA to the 6N6P anode with a plate voltage of about 100V.***  (my rewording)

I am guessing that the plate voltage of the output tube in this circuit is determined by the input tube (not sure - a little rusty). 

Therefore, assuming that the anode current would remain 6mA on the 6N30P and the anode voltage 100V, perhaps someone with more knowledge than me could find a datasheet for this tube and determine whether or not it is operating at a suitably linear point. 

My guess is that the circuit is optimised for 6N6P and, given that the curves are different, will not function as well with 6N30P in output position.

Please set me straight if my thinking is wrong.  I was considering investing in some 6N30P-DR tubes (for use in the DNA Sonett 2 at a later stage), but I doubt that V2 would see any benefit in using this type of tube.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #453 of 907
  Approached Schiit to determine if 6N30P can be used in place of 6N6P.  They responded very swiftly to the effect that they don't have much experience with tubes other than stock with Valhalla 2.

They kindly volunteered the following information though:

***The output tube on V2 is biased by a CCS (constant current source) feeding approx 6mA to the 6N6P anode with a plate voltage of about 100V.***  (my rewording)

I am guessing that the plate voltage of the output tube in this circuit is determined by the input tube (not sure - a little rusty). 

Therefore, assuming that the anode current would remain 6mA on the 6N30P and the anode voltage 100V, perhaps someone with more knowledge than me could find a datasheet for this tube and determine whether or not it is operating at a suitably linear point. 

My guess is that the circuit is optimised for 6N6P and, given that the curves are different, will not function as well with 6N30P in output position.

Please set me straight if my thinking is wrong.  I was considering investing in some 6N30P-DR tubes (for use in the DNA Sonett 2 at a later stage), but I doubt that V2 would see any benefit in using this type of tube.

That's not the output tube bias. That's more like 35mA, in a WCF arrangement and 200V total supply with 100V on each tube.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 24, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #455 of 907
I'm actually surprised how the valhalla 2 is not that loud!? I can turn it all the way up 100% and not hurt my ears. And to be honest it's really not that much louder vs my iPhone 5 alone. Should I switch to the lyr? I'm using dt880s by the way.

I was just expecting a little more headroom... Anyone else?

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #458 of 907
I turned my valhalla 2 on briefly today... (It's connected to my rack power conditioner) but then I turned off the power for the valhalla 2 AND the source of the power which is the power conditioner and the front light of the valhalla 2 is still illuminated.... Even 5 mins after the power has been turned off. Is something wrong?

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #460 of 907
I turned my valhalla 2 on briefly today... (It's connected to my rack power conditioner) but then I turned off the power for the valhalla 2 AND the source of the power which is the power conditioner and the front light of the valhalla 2 is still illuminated.... Even 5 mins after the power has been turned off. Is something wrong?

That's completely normal. It will take about 20 minutes for the light to disappear. I belive the tubes are slowly discharging during that period.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #462 of 907
That's completely normal. It will take about 20 minutes for the light to disappear. I belive the tubes are slowly discharging during that period.

That's not the tubes, but the huge capacitors from the PSU section discharging. Music should still be playing too after a few seconds. Imagine how stable that thing is, you unplugged it, and it still holds a charge for minutes. Now put a slight spike on your AC line, noise, or a small voltage variation, will that affect your amp? With that beef of a PSU, nop :wink:

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #463 of 907
That's not the tubes, but the huge capacitors from the PSU section discharging. Music should still be playing too after a few seconds. Imagine how stable that thing is, you unplugged it, and it still holds a charge for minutes. Now put a slight spike on your AC line, noise, or a small voltage variation, will that affect your amp? With that beef of a PSU, nop :wink:

Good info :smile:

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #464 of 907
I have been using my new Valhalla 2 for a few days and have noticed a small amount of background static when in high gain thats not effected by the volume pot and it goes away on low gain this is something I never had on my Valhalla 1 or with my asgard 2/ high gain it really doesn't effect the music as I only hear when music is paused but I hate using low gain with the hd 600/650 because I need to turn up to 2 o'clock on low gain to get the same volume as 1030 on high. Anyone else experience this and does it go away as the tubes burn in?

Update - I have noticed the static almost completely goes away after the amp has been running about an hour it may be a combination of a new amp and new tubes both breaking in at the same time and I just never noticed on my other amps.

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #465 of 907
I have been using my new Valhalla 2 for a few days and have noticed a small amount of background static when in high gain thats not effected by the volume pot and it goes away on low gain this is something I never had on my Valhalla 1 or with my asgard 2/ high gain it really doesn't effect the music as I only hear when music is paused but I hate using low gain with the hd 600/650 because I need to turn up to 2 o'clock on low gain to get the same volume as 1030 on high. Anyone else experience this and does it go away as the tubes burn in?

Update - I have noticed the static almost completely goes away after the amp has been running about an hour it may be a combination of a new amp and new tubes both breaking in at the same time and I just never noticed on my other amps.

I notice zero background noise even on high gain. I'm using dt880/600ohm but I turn it up to around 1 o'clock. Are you using hd650s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back