Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Feb 11, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #422 of 907
yup checked its coming from my computer seems like valhalla is super sensitive the schiit guys recommend me get a External DAC any recommendations to go with the valhalla 2 and a hd800 ?

Bifrost Uber Analog with USB Gen 2 input.

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #424 of 907
Gungnir vs bifrost uber is $330 price difference
Gungnir advantages - balanced outputs / 2 se outputs and overall sound a bit better than uberfrost even on se
Uberfrost advantages - takes up less space / easier to stack with valhalla 2 / $330 cheaper
Either way I found these dacs to be a noticeable improvement over entry level usb powered dacs.

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #425 of 907
I received my Valhalla 2 this morning and have spent the last few hours listening to it. It's a clear improvement over the Vali in terms of soundstage, clarity and instrument separation, while exhibiting less mid-bass bloat. My HD650s now sound more dynamic and engaging.

I'm generally quite pleased with it, but there's one thing that's puzzling me: it actually seems to be slightly quieter than the Vali at a given volume setting. For instance, there's one quietly recorded song that I would have normally listened to with the Vali's volume pot set at the 11 o'clock position. I have to push the Valhalla 2 to the 12 o'clock position to get a similar level of loudness  - and this is with the gain switch set to the high position. According to the specs posted on the Schiit website:

One would infer from this that the Valhalla 2 should in fact be far louder than the Vali at a given volume setting. Does anyone know if there's a simple explanation for this, such as the tubes requiring burning-in? I hope I haven't been given a defective unit.

I'm using my Valhalla at about 11:30 to 12 o'clock to get a normal level listening volume as well with HD600s. Not at all concerned about it.

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #426 of 907
Gungnir vs bifrost uber is $330 price difference
Gungnir advantages - balanced outputs / 2 se outputs and overall sound a bit better than uberfrost even on se
Uberfrost advantages - takes up less space / easier to stack with valhalla 2 / $330 cheaper
Either way I found these dacs to be a noticeable improvement over entry level usb powered dacs.

by se you mean unbalanced? and for the hd 800 how much does balanced matter?

Feb 13, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #427 of 907
Yes by se I ment unbalanced I'm used to saying se/ balanced when talking about amps/headphone cables. I've owned the gungnir for about a year and have only used it with unbalanced amps so I can't really comment on how much better it is only that with the gungnir you will always have that option if you get a amp with balanced inputs and you'd also be able to connect up to 2 unbalanced amps at the same time. Using the valhalla 2 you will not use the balanced outputs And I think balanced comes more into play when talking about amps. Congrats on owning the hd800s btw I have almost bought those many times but the price always scares me away.

Feb 13, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #428 of 907
Yes by se I ment unbalanced I'm used to saying se/ balanced when talking about amps/headphone cables. I've owned the gungnir for about a year and have only used it with unbalanced amps so I can't really comment on how much better it is only that with the gungnir you will always have that option if you get a amp with balanced inputs and you'd also be able to connect up to 2 unbalanced amps at the same time. Using the valhalla 2 you will not use the balanced outputs And I think balanced comes more into play when talking about amps. Congrats on owning the hd800s btw I have almost bought those many times but the price always scares me away.

haha thanks i know about that but just wanted to know about balanced so i know that a upgrade would be incoming in a few months

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #429 of 907
Well, I've had my Valhalla 2 a few weeks now, and after some rolling, have settled on my favorite input tubes (for the time being). Something that I notice is that Val2 sounds best after it has been on for about an hour. This is very consistent with other tube-based amplification devices I have experience with (e.g. my C-J tube gear for my loudspeaker based system). 

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #430 of 907
Has anyone tried the Fostex TH900 or similar cans on this amp? I'm thinking of getting one to compliment my HD800.

They're pretty efficient and the output impedance is a little high on Valhalla 2 but it should be an OK match by just glancing at the tech specs. 

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #434 of 907
I just ordered a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium 600 OHM Headphones especially to listen to classical music on my Valhalla 2. I'll report back with my findings towards the end of the week. 

Anyone else use the DT 880 / 600s with the Valhalla ?

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #435 of 907
I most certainly do. They sound fantastic, if a little sibilant, with the V2. This amp is also pretty nice with HD600's, now that I have rolled in some cheap Sylvania tubes. Highly recommended!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back