Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Feb 6, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #406 of 907
Does anyone know the output wattage of the V2? I am thinking about getting some bookshelf speakers and don't know if the V2 can power them properly. Is anyone currently using the V2 to power bookshelf speakers?

The Valhalla 2 is not designed to power speakers. I would contact Schiit before attempting to do so.

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #407 of 907
Does anyone know the output wattage of the V2? I am thinking about getting some bookshelf speakers and don't know if the V2 can power them properly. Is anyone currently using the V2 to power bookshelf speakers?

You obviously mean its voltage output? The Valhalla can work as Preamp, not as Power amp. Unless of course you are talking about Powered Monitors? :confused:

Feb 7, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #409 of 907
Regardless. The way you should be connecting your amp to your sound card is using the RCA jacks on both. RCAs are line out, which is what you want. Buy some $3 monoprice RCA cables on amazon and your problem will be fixed.

oh ok how long should i burn them in to expect the normal sound and i should leave them on right?

Feb 7, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #410 of 907

Regardless. The way you should be connecting your amp to your sound card is using the RCA jacks on both. RCAs are line out, which is what you want. Buy some $3 monoprice RCA cables on amazon and your problem will be fixed.

oh ok how long should i burn them in to expect the normal sound and i should leave them on right?

30 seconds until it un-mutes itself.  Then you will hear wonderful normal sound.
"Burn-in" may not exist, so don't worry about that.  Some say that the sound will improve slightly, after about 50 hours of use.  So do that if you want to.  After that, turn off the amp when you are not listening, so as not to deplete the life of the tubes, and to conserve energy.

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #411 of 907
As billheiser said, the tubes will slight change over the first handful of hours. Their transconductance will drop then level out. Cables don't burn in.

You should feel great listening to it right out of the gate.

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #412 of 907
I received my Valhalla 2 this morning and have spent the last few hours listening to it. It's a clear improvement over the Vali in terms of soundstage, clarity and instrument separation, while exhibiting less mid-bass bloat. My HD650s now sound more dynamic and engaging.

I'm generally quite pleased with it, but there's one thing that's puzzling me: it actually seems to be slightly quieter than the Vali at a given volume setting. For instance, there's one quietly recorded song that I would have normally listened to with the Vali's volume pot set at the 11 o'clock position. I have to push the Valhalla 2 to the 12 o'clock position to get a similar level of loudness  - and this is with the gain switch set to the high position. According to the specs posted on the Schiit website:

Vali: Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 220mW RMS per channel
Valhalla 2: Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 800mW RMS per channel

One would infer from this that the Valhalla 2 should in fact be far louder than the Vali at a given volume setting. Does anyone know if there's a simple explanation for this, such as the tubes requiring burning-in? I hope I haven't been given a defective unit.

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #413 of 907
  I received my Valhalla 2 this morning and have spent the last few hours listening to it. It's a clear improvement over the Vali in terms of soundstage, clarity and instrument separation, while exhibiting less mid-bass bloat. My HD650s now sound more dynamic and engaging.

I'm generally quite pleased with it, but there's one thing that's puzzling me: it actually seems to be slightly quieter than the Vali at a given volume setting. For instance, there's one quietly recorded song that I would have normally listened to with the Vali's volume pot set at the 11 o'clock position. I have to push the Valhalla 2 to the 12 o'clock position to get a similar level of loudness  - and this is with the gain switch set to the high position. According to the specs posted on the Schiit website:

Vali: Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 220mW RMS per channel
Valhalla 2: Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 800mW RMS per channel

One would infer from this that the Valhalla 2 should in fact be far louder than the Vali at a given volume setting. Does anyone know if there's a simple explanation for this, such as the tubes requiring burning-in? I hope I haven't been given a defective unit.

Different gain potentiometers have different tapers. This may be what you are experiencing. Nothing to worry about.

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #414 of 907
I noticed the same thing, though I also noticed that the Valhalla will go a bit louder than the Vali. There are very likely differences in the volume control pot, so i wouldnt get too worked up about it. One thing to say about power, in order to gain 3dB in sound power, you need to double the output power, so the Valhalla 2 is really only about 6dB louder than the Vali.

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #415 of 907
Different gain potentiometers have different tapers. This may be what you are experiencing. Nothing to worry about.

I noticed the same thing, though I also noticed that the Valhalla will go a bit louder than the Vali. There are very likely differences in the volume control pot, so i wouldnt get too worked up about it. One thing to say about power, in order to gain 3dB in sound power, you need to double the output power, so the Valhalla 2 is really only about 6dB louder than the Vali.

Thanks for the replies; they've put my mind at ease.

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #416 of 907
hi got the valhalla 2 plugged it in to my hd 800 in low impedence mode and anything higher then around 9 gives me static noise plz help I didn't have it with my creative zxr or my magni and neither fioo e9 at way higher volumes

Feb 11, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #419 of 907
bought it directly from schiit and yes stock tubes i am using my creative zxr as dac right now

Disconnect the DAC from the amp, plug your headphones in, turn the knob arround a bit. Still static? Are you using a cheat plug with no ground? Are you using a 1/4 inch adapter? Is the jack fully in? Should make a solid "CLUNK" when you plug in.

Feb 11, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #420 of 907
bought it directly from schiit and yes stock tubes i am using my creative zxr as dac right now

As suggested above. Listen to your Valhalla with NO input. You should be able to turn up the volume control and hear nothing.

Do that first and get back to us with your results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back