Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Feb 2, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #391 of 907
Hello,

Someone has tested the output to a power amp ? I will be interested by this feedback

When I test the output, my arcam ( a90 power mode and p90 ) go to protection mode after few minutes ...

Otherwise Valhalla 2 is a  great amp, combined with modi 2, the sound is incredible ( e188cc telefunken upgrade )

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #393 of 907
  Hello,

Someone has tested the output to a power amp ? I will be interested by this feedback

When I test the output, my arcam ( a90 power mode and p90 ) go to protection mode after few minutes ...

Otherwise Valhalla 2 is a  great amp, combined with modi 2, the sound is incredible ( e188cc telefunken upgrade )

I'm running my Valhalla 2 into the AUX inputs of my SAE A7 Integrated Amp with no problems.

Feb 2, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #394 of 907
  Hello,

Switch the Valhalla 2 to low gain.  It must be overdriving your amp in high gain mode.

Feb 3, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #395 of 907
Check out the Valhalla tube rolling thread as well as the Lyr tube rolling thread. Both the Lyr and Valhalla use the same input tubes.

Generally, there are a number of recommendations people seem to repeat, but there are many options.

- 6N23P tubes, especially those from Voskhod made in the 70s or Reflektor in '74/'75

- Amperex Bugle Boys (esp late 50s/60s)

- Amperex PQ (esp white label) 

- Telefunken E88CCs ($$$)

- Siemens CCa ($$$$)

The "best" tubes are subjective, just as everything else in audio. 

I'll post some results w/ my 800s in the coming weeks with a handful of tubes over in the valhalla tube rolling thread.

can someone help with these questions
1)i heard tube amps need burn ins how much do i need to burn this one in and also how long can i keep it on are we suppose to turn it off? thanks

2)I have the Creative ZXR right now and a magni amp what i do is just connect the headphone to the magni then to the creative but i believe its double amping because if i switch the creative zxr to 600 amp mode the sound increases is there anyway to make it i dont use the amplification from the creative zxr but just the features a dac per say?

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #396 of 907
1) Tubes do change in character for the first 50 or so hours they are on. Some say more. Just leave the amp on. Some people say "pay pink noise" or some other crap. Fact is, the tubes are biased in class A which means they constantly have current running through them, regardless of signal.

2) A better way to do this would be to use the line level outputs on the zxr (which are the white and red RCA jacks). You are most definitely double amping if you are using the headphone jack. You should get more appropriate and less distorted sound if you follow my suggestion.

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #397 of 907
After your initial burn-in period,don't make a habit of leaving the Valhalla 2 on. Tubes have a finite life, so when you're not listening, then turn off the amp to preserve tube life (and not waste energy).

Feb 3, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #399 of 907
Feb 3, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #400 of 907
Just swapped my stock tubes in my Valhalla V1 since I figured I didn't swapped them for a while. I installed some Voskhod 6n1p and Novosibirsk 6n6p. First impression:

"DAMN!"

Way tighter and present bass, smoother, less artificial treble. Whole different beast with those in. I don't get why it makes such a difference. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #401 of 907
  1) Tubes do change in character for the first 50 or so hours they are on. Some say more. Just leave the amp on. Some people say "pay pink noise" or some other crap. Fact is, the tubes are biased in class A which means they constantly have current running through them, regardless of signal.

2) A better way to do this would be to use the line level outputs on the zxr (which are the white and red RCA jacks). You are most definitely double amping if you are using the headphone jack. You should get more appropriate and less distorted sound if you follow my suggestion.

can u recommend me any good cable for that then? 

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #403 of 907
well changing to the valhalla so would rather have updates on that bought a rca to the normal headphone cable to plug into the headphone jack its the smaller one that is like on earphones and then use a convertor to make it fit in the headphone jack XD

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #404 of 907
Regardless. The way you should be connecting your amp to your sound card is using the RCA jacks on both. RCAs are line out, which is what you want. Buy some $3 monoprice RCA cables on amazon and your problem will be fixed.

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #405 of 907
Does anyone know the output wattage of the V2? I am thinking about getting some bookshelf speakers and don't know if the V2 can power them properly. Is anyone currently using the V2 to power bookshelf speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back