Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Feb 1, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #376 of 907
Feb 1, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #377 of 907
  I've asked this question on other forums and didn't get many replies, so I'll try again here.
I have a pair of HD 650s. Right now I'm running them through my Harmon Kardon 3380. I think I spent about 300 bucks for the receiver ten years ago. It does have enough power to drive my headphones. If I were to buy a Valhalla 2 amp and connect it directly to my phono preamp - I'd be bypassing the HK 3380 - would I get better sound?
Some suggested I audition the Valhalla, but buying one and then sending it back would be a hassle.
Thanks,
Randy

Yes. The amplifier section of the Valhalla is better. 

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #378 of 907
  Yes. The amplifier section of the Valhalla is better. 

Actually, the speaker amplifier section of his HK is excellent. The headphone amplifier section on his HK is an unknown quantity.

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #381 of 907
  I mostly listen to classic rock and opera.
Randy

My Valhalla 2 has caused me to revisit my Moody Blues and Led Zepp collections.
atsmile.gif

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #385 of 907
hi i have the HD800 and am getting the vanhalla 2 I want the best tubes i can get for them any advice?

also am new to tube amps any place i can find a tips guide like how to use it like do i have to burn it in etc

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #386 of 907
  hi i have the HD800 and am getting the vanhalla 2 I want the best tubes i can get for them any advice?

also am new to tube amps any place i can find a tips guide like how to use it like do i have to burn it in etc

There is a thread specifically for Valhalla tube rollers. I would start there.

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #388 of 907
Check out the Valhalla tube rolling thread as well as the Lyr tube rolling thread. Both the Lyr and Valhalla use the same input tubes.

Generally, there are a number of recommendations people seem to repeat, but there are many options.

- 6N23P tubes, especially those from Voskhod made in the 70s or Reflektor in '74/'75
- Amperex Bugle Boys (esp late 50s/60s)
- Amperex PQ (esp white label) 
- Telefunken E88CCs ($$$)
- Siemens CCa ($$$$)

The "best" tubes are subjective, just as everything else in audio. 

I'll post some results w/ my 800s in the coming weeks with a handful of tubes over in the valhalla tube rolling thread.

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #390 of 907
  Check out the Valhalla tube rolling thread as well as the Lyr tube rolling thread. Both the Lyr and Valhalla use the same input tubes.

Generally, there are a number of recommendations people seem to repeat, but there are many options.

- 6N23P tubes, especially those from Voskhod made in the 70s or Reflektor in '74/'75
- Amperex Bugle Boys (esp late 50s/60s)
- Amperex PQ (esp white label) 
- Telefunken E88CCs ($$$)
- Siemens CCa ($$$$)

The "best" tubes are subjective, just as everything else in audio. 

I'll post some results w/ my 800s in the coming weeks with a handful of tubes over in the valhalla tube rolling thread.

All excellent recommendations. Just a note: if you go to Upscale Audio and search for Amperex 6922s (sometimes labeled PQ), Kevin Deal says there is virtually no difference in the performance of that specific tube based on label color; he says they are all the same exact tube. He does mention that if you one still specifically really wants a specific label color, they will do their best to accommodate you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back