Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Jul 29, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #91 of 907
  Just putting in the tubes as we speak...

and !!! ?
popcorn.gif

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #92 of 907
  I've had the Bifrost and Valhalla 2 for a few weeks now, and all I can say is 'wow'. Just a beautiful luscious sound. I do have  a question. I have the Bifrost hooked up via optical to my Mac Pro Desktop. I can get 24/96 but no higher and after some research, that's the highest available for mac. So now I'm wondering, am I missing out on 24/176 or 24/192? Should I upgrade and get the USB option installed by Schiit? I generally only listen to CD's imported as Apple Lossless, so I'm not sure if there would be an improvement or not. Can someone help?

Hmm, i get 24/192 from my macs, no problem.  I do use Amarra Hi-Fi riding on top of/integrated with iTunes.  Amarra shows me what resolution is playing and when it switches between sampling rates.
Optical is capable of 24/192 but I'll stop there, cuz I think some toslink cables transmit it better than others.  I run optical from an Airport Express, which itself is limited to 16/44, so no problem there.  I use s/pdif coaxial out of my cd player, and USB for computer files (all resolutions from lo to hi).  

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #93 of 907
Well I just hooked up and received mine. It's significantly better than my magni, but that's pretty much a given for the price hike. I'll give it some time to burn-in  before coming to any conclusions.

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #94 of 907
Cool. FWIW, mine sounded great from the first minute. If it's better from burn-in over the last couple months, then great, but I don't hear an obvious difference. It's not like I've been playing the same tracks everyday to evaluate any change. Am just enjoying it a hella lot.

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #95 of 907
So, I'm really starting to love this amp, it sounds great with my HD650s, but holy hell does it sound good with Shure SE846s in low gain mode (I was really surprised at this). I was looking at rolling some tubes in the near future, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Foton military grade tubes from the 60's and how they compare to Novosibirsk tubes from the 70's. Hoping to get some impressions on 6N6P tubes, I can only find them for 40+ dollars from the Ukraine, otherwise I'd just buy them.

Bonus points if you can tell me what the OTK (quality control) numbers mean, I've seen up to 10 on these tubes.

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #96 of 907
  So, I'm really starting to love this amp, it sounds great with my HD650s, but holy hell does it sound good with Shure SE846s in low gain mode (I was really surprised at this). I was looking at rolling some tubes in the near future, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Foton military grade tubes from the 60's and how they compare to Novosibirsk tubes from the 70's. Hoping to get some impressions on 6N6P tubes, I can only find them for 40+ dollars from the Ukraine, otherwise I'd just buy them.

Bonus points if you can tell me what the OTK (quality control) numbers mean, I've seen up to 10 on these tubes.

I have the Novosibirsk 6n6p tubes and the Fotons. I prefer the Novosibirsk type as they to my ears seem to give a bit more detail but thats only my opinion.

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #97 of 907

I have the Novosibirsk 6n6p tubes and the Fotons. I prefer the Novosibirsk type as they to my ears seem to give a bit more detail but thats only my opinion.

Is there any other 6N6P maker than Novosibirsk?

I was thinking of rolling the 6DJ8 positions with Telefunken E188CCs - Upscale Audio has them in stock at a good price ($129 ea for platinum grade, burnt-in, tested, matched, and ready to roll).   I've been only looking for an excuse to buy a set...

Aug 5, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #99 of 907
  Is there any other 6N6P maker than Novosibirsk?

I was thinking of rolling the 6DJ8 positions with Telefunken E188CCs - Upscale Audio has them in stock at a good price ($129 ea for platinum grade, burnt-in, tested, matched, and ready to roll).   I've been only looking for an excuse to buy a set...

Aren't 6DJ8 tubes designed to operate at lower voltages?
Edit: http://www.head-fi.org/t/42853/difference-between-6922-and-6dj8

Aug 5, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #100 of 907
Since they're used on the input side I doubt there's much of a problem; they're not driven hard and should last a long time.  Schiit themselves mention the 6DJ8 as a possible rolling possibility on the "specs" tab.  I was just using it as a generic term for the entire family of dual triodes with that particular pin-out and about 30-35x gain and ~90V anode voltage, with the actual 6DJ8 itself being the least capable of the bunch.  I think if it's fine with an actual 6DJ8 it'll work with almost anything...

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #103 of 907
What improvements are there sonically over the V1 Valhalla? Also would it help if you unplugged the headphones before switching the amp off? Specifically for the Valhalla.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back