Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Apr 30, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #888 of 907
A quick report on running all Novosibirisk tubes in the Valhalla 2.

Power tubes: 6N6P Novosibirsk - Gold Grid & Pin - NOS 1978

Driver tubes : 6N1P-V (6Н1ПВ) Novosibirsk OTK - NOS - 1958 - Gold Grid

This combo is surprising with the Beyerdynamic T1.2, Good bass, balanced mids and treble that is just short of too much. I still prefer warmer driver tubes with these phones but this is not a bad combination.

Now with the Oppo PM 3 the Novosibirsk combo is really sounding great. Just the right balance bottom to top.

Experimenting,
Ain't this stuff fun,

YMMV,
r2

Edit - The 6N1P-V sure do glow pretty :)

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #889 of 907
Guys I need some help.

Up to now I'm only using the Valhalla 2 for my headphones. I'm looking to connect bookshelf speakers to my setup.

1- do i need active or passive speakers?
2- do I need some with rca connectors?
3- if so, will I need 2 rca to 1 as the amp only got a red and white output?

Thanks

May 5, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #890 of 907
Guys I need some help.

Up to now I'm only using the Valhalla 2 for my headphones. I'm looking to connect bookshelf speakers to my setup.

1- do i need active or passive speakers?
2- do I need some with rca connectors?
3- if so, will I need 2 rca to 1 as the amp only got a red and white output?

Thanks
Hi Azurik.
1- Yes you will need active speakers unless you buy an separate amplifier for passive speakers.
2- Your active speakers can have any sort of connector. Some professional monitors only have 1/4" jacks and XLR but there are adapter cables that will work.
3. You just need two cables , one per speaker.

Good luck. I use my Valhalla as a preamp feeding into a power amp and passive speakers and it's a great combination.

Sep 24, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #893 of 907
I'm really keen on getting one of the Valhalla 2's. I prefer listening to vinyl—not digital. I have a vintage McIntosh MA5100 with a built-in headphone amp, but if I can plug this in to my system with vinyl, I think there's a lot of potential there.

I currently have Sennheiser 558's but will likely move toward 600's if I do this. Does anyone else run a Valhalla 2 through an older amp for vinyl listening? I'd love to hear about your experiences. Thank you very much from a headphone amp newbie.

Cheers,

Bill

Sep 25, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #894 of 907
OK, 3 days in with the Valhalla 2 and really loving this amp. It has the warm fuzzies from a tube amp, but soo so clear. I was using a Biggermouth A1 and liked it, the Valhalla is just much warmer without losing any of the clarity of sound. One of my favorite vocals to listen to is Simply Red "if you don't know me by now" because the chorus is layered so well. I can still pick out each voice and they are wonderful.
I hope this makes sense to you large brained audiophiles out there :)

Dan

Sep 25, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #895 of 907
OK, 3 days in with the Valhalla 2 and really loving this amp. It has the warm fuzzies from a tube amp, but soo so clear. I was using a Biggermouth A1 and liked it, the Valhalla is just much warmer without losing any of the clarity of sound. One of my favorite vocals to listen to is Simply Red "if you don't know me by now" because the chorus is layered so well. I can still pick out each voice and they are wonderful.
I hope this makes sense to you large brained audiophiles out there :)

Dan

Glad you like it! I had it pair with TH900 in the past and it sounded amazing! But I changed the stock tube to ECC88 for a warmer signature.

Nov 27, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #898 of 907
So true, I'm using the Gold Lion 6922 and they are very sweer, very clear and and have very smooth treble.

Same here. I switched to the JJ E88CC Gold, and now the Valhalla 2 sounds like a real tube amp.

The amp benefits from a warmer tube. With the stock tube, some SS amps like matrix hpa3b and Cavalli Liquid Carbon are warmer than valhalla 2

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #899 of 907
Is anyone using the Valhalla 2 as a preamp for another headphone amp? Been thinking of running the preamp out to my rhead amp for a little tube goodness to the SS rhead amp. After attempting it myself, (Valhalla 2 pre-outs to rHead input) caused a DC Offset error on the rHead. Anyone have any insight? Would one use the Valhalla 2 volume control or the rHead volume for adjustment? Should one of them have the volume on full while adjusting with the other?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back