Valab 4395 Platinum 24bit 192k Hi-Bit Re-data DAC USB
Oct 12, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #32 of 72
Today the big and heavy 4395 Platinum arrived, perfectly wrapped by Kevin to be protected, and WOW it sounds completely different, more open, then my NOS DAC.
It seems just another level but I'm still burning it in before I connect it to my main gear.
Now it works with an elder Yamaha amplifier and a modified Marantz player in constant repeat. Let me know if you want to know more ...

Oct 12, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #34 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Historicus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today the big and heavy 4395 Platinum arrived, perfectly wrapped by Kevin to be protected, and WOW it sounds completely different, more open, then my NOS DAC.
It seems just another level but I'm still burning it in before I connect it to my main gear.
Now it works with an elder Yamaha amplifier and a modified Marantz player in constant repeat. Let me know if you want to know more ...

Listen to it after at least six hours of burn in

Oct 12, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #35 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by gattari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listen to it after at least six hours of burn in

I'm burning in the 4395, as my previous NOS DAC for about 200/300 hours!

Oct 12, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #36 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Historicus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm burning in the 4395, as my previous NOS DAC for about 200/300 hours!

Ok
As soon as I pulled it out of the box has not made me feel great, then I went to work and when I returned I started to listen music, I thought I had changed dac.
My old dac is a keces 131.1 with Silver IEC socket upgrade installed, the valab AKM 4395 is at least not one but three steps above after only seven hours of burn in.

I do not use the usb port in valab 4395
These are my first impressions, but I will do a review after a few days, with more objectivity
Ciao

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #37 of 72
Hey guys

I'm really looking forward to more impressions as i am thinking about purchasing one. Not to be pushy or anything but could you guys perhaps compare the dac to some others and state how they are better/worse.

Thanks a lot.

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #38 of 72
I think I was one of the first if not the first to receive this DAC now about 4 weeks has found its place in my system.
Fortunately everything arrived healthy, with the courier you never know what you can expect.
I must say that live is better than in the photos of the site, they seem more ugly to behold.
Let us begin by listing some flaws, the DAC, I don't like USB input native , very much better to use to carry the signal the hiface or musiland .
I was not able to go with this dac files at frequencies above 96 kHz, I have never personally found differences in listening with higher resolutions over 96 khz, and if there are differences, I was unable to appreciate them
The Valab akm DAC uses a low jitter dir 9001, but limited to looking at the data sheet of the same to a maximum frequency of 108 kHz.
Another oddity, to turn on this DAC sometimes I use the power button for three or four times before you switch it on.
In my system have previously passed a modded SuperPro 707, a keces 1.31and an echo audiofire 4 (that remained) and finally this Valab akm4395
I must say that the sound of this DAC has its own "Personaility"
I had differences beetwen the previuos Dac, yes, but we say are similar enough and seem to have a common genetic fingerprint of themusical message , this Valab just started playing with a character his own.
The characteristics are a wonderful jumping reproduction of voices, which seem more detached from musical context and appear slightly more forward and a wider and deeper soundstage, in short, everything seems a little bigger and a lot to me nice.
As regards the detail is very good, but not more than other DAC I have mentioned.
It Is beautiful hear music with Valab I would say that I have a lower perception of digital music, I listened with more pleasure and less fatigue many pieces that first appeared more tiring me.

Wonderful reproduction of Diana Krall and all his records, the music of Bach, the vocals, all very good.
One thing that seems to me rather less good by comparison with the other cited Dac occurs when listening to orchestral masses, we think the heroic and other orchestral music of great impact, in this case the keces seemed to come out better, more accurate.
However for my part I am happy and satisfied with this Valab, in short, I find the Valab very musical and not at all tiring.

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #41 of 72
after long plays much I love this Valab AKM.
The next days I will have to compare it with a modded Valab luxury edition. I will post impressions on this comparison in the valab family.

Ciao

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #42 of 72
It would be perfect if someone can compare the sound with either original Valab and luxury too.
In fact it would be nice if it can be compared with any other DAC from market???
Any more sound reviews would be nice?
Such as....
What is the sound character of the item?
Warm full bass or light and quick?
Sweet or analytical highs?
Forward open midrange or warm and mellow midrange?
Most important, neutral, dark or light character of sound?
Thanks

Quote:

after long plays much I love this Valab AKM.
The next days I will have to compare it with a modded Valab luxury edition. I will post impressions on this comparison in the valab family.

Ciao

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #43 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by massivni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be perfect if someone can compare the sound with either original Valab and luxury too.
In fact it would be nice if it can be compared with any other DAC from market???
Any more sound reviews would be nice?
Such as....
What is the sound character of the item?
Warm full bass or light and quick?
Sweet or analytical highs?
Forward open midrange or warm and mellow midrange?
Most important, neutral, dark or light character of sound?
Thanks

The main feature of this DAC is a comprehensive, large and three-dimensional sound stage.
The piano, the voices are rendered in a rich and natural way.
The highlight of this DAC is therefore a wonderful midrange.
Again, the DAC is very very musical, I like a lot.
I am using it with a hiface, his native USB input degrades the sound, so I consider it vital to hiface or musiland to get the most out of this DAC.
I had the follow dac in my system a keces 131.1, a modded SuperPro an echo audiofire 4.
Compared to these, I believe the Valab akm dac is in another level and extremly musical.
I like to read other opinion on the valab akm.
Next week I compare with a modded valab luxury edition.
Ciao

Jan 8, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #44 of 72
Quote:

The main feature of this DAC is a comprehensive, large and three-dimensional sound stage.
The piano, the voices are rendered in a rich and natural way.
The highlight of this DAC is therefore a wonderful midrange.
Again, the DAC is very very musical, I like a lot.
I am using it with a hiface, his native USB input degrades the sound, so I consider it vital to hiface or musiland to get the most out of this DAC.
I had the follow dac in my system a keces 131.1, a modded SuperPro an echo audiofire 4.
Compared to these, I believe the Valab akm dac is in another level and extremly musical.
I like to read other opinion on the valab akm.
Next week I compare with a modded valab luxury edition.
Ciao

Having heard much of Valab luxury I had the opportunity to make a comparison.
I was very curious about this test.
Yesterday and today I heard the Valab luxury edition in my set up.
I must honestly say that the elder brother Valab AKM is without a doubt another thing, probably worth much more than twice the price.
There is no comparison in every point of view.
AKM is one other category. (imho)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back