V6 on the highs. Any way to tone them down?
Mar 24, 2004 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Axelrod1

New Head-Fier
Hi all.

Wearing the Sony V6, I love them -- except when I'm listening to poorly mixed highs that are so high they make my ears bleed. I'm talking about older Miles CD's and other jazz records. It's mostly horns, but some vocal mixes kill me too.

I love these phones, is there anything I can do about the highs?

Would the beyer pads help tone them down, or does it help by bringing your ears a little bit furthar from the drivers?

thanks-

-AX1

Mar 24, 2004 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 48
The Beyers don't help. If you're able to find a solution, I think you may be the first.
frown.gif

Mar 24, 2004 at 8:01 AM Post #6 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Axelrod1
Are the Beyers worth it, more comfortable for you?

Yep, much more comfortable, though owned the V6's twice and both times the highs were too much and had to sell.

Mar 24, 2004 at 8:29 AM Post #8 of 48
If you don't mind an open phone and can deal with the comfort issues (small earcups, death-grip headband), the Sennheiser HD497 is quite good. Much tamer than the V6 and more refined sounding overall. I really liked my set.

Mar 24, 2004 at 8:57 AM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Axelrod1

I love these phones, is there anything I can do about the highs?

Lovingly kick them to the curb and replace them with 280 Pros!
very_evil_smiley.gif
280smile.gif

Mar 24, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #11 of 48
Well, personally I find myself leery of "forgiving" phones. Maybe I'm a nut job, but I believe that a poorly mixed track should sound like it is, because that's part of the truth of the session. "Here's Miles doing this and that, and by the way, listen to what a crappy job the engineer did here...."
cool.gif

But I also think the V6's highs are actually pumped beyond the realm of the natural. Little sparkly details become BIG-ASS SPARKLY DETAILS.

but I still like them, because I'm a brightness fan and I dig the bowel-emptying bass.

Mar 24, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #12 of 48
I like the V6s. I don't find the highs annoying though so... I can't help since I never bothered to fix them.

Mar 24, 2004 at 3:51 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Jasper994
Lovingly kick them to the curb and replace them with 280 Pros!
very_evil_smiley.gif
280smile.gif

You must be kidding, 280 Pros have harsher highs than V6's by a mile (to my ears anyway).

Mar 24, 2004 at 5:45 PM Post #15 of 48
But I also think the V6's highs are actually pumped beyond the realm of the natural. Little sparkly details become BIG-ASS SPARKLY DETAILS.
Actually, the tonal balance of the mdr-v6(7506) sounds almost exactly like the acoustic source in a live feed too me, when standing at the same distance as the mics from the source and use linear microphones(flat response). The 'pumped beyond the realm of natural' statement is pretty accurate when listening to most prerecorded music, though, IMO. This is a perception, I believe is most probably a result of three possible variables (1) close micing (2) in classical recordings mic is usually much closer to the orchestra then you would be when attending live (3)non-linear mics used for recording(this is sadly common)(4) E.Q. crazy engineer. :)

I believe that headphones that sligtly roll off the top end tend to sound more natural with many recordings since they partially compensate for the closer then natural(as in reference to the typical distance a typical listener would be located) micing positions.

Another important aspect is that I believe many people jsut have different 'ideas' about the way something should sound, even if the idea is in error when compared to the source.

-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back