V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion, Questions] #FirstthreadtocoverXS
May 5, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #556 of 972
Thread is celebrating nearly 35k views. Keep it up!
Enjoying my XS so far, to the point i don't need to comment on it besides from being an no-fuss headphone. It doesn't clamp, it isolates well for an on ear, and the portability is key. Everything I wanted in a portable headphone, I don't really like in-ears because you can get a 'better' sound from headphones, but I have the M100 so this just matches it perfectly. I was one of the first to get the XS in Australia :O

heshteg 399th post that edit doe

May 5, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #557 of 972
My review did go live a little while ago...  Take a look here: http://www.ifans.com/blog/98084/

Quick excerpt into the audio section:
  Many audiophiles, after hearing the M-80 were expecting the M-100 to be an over-ear version of the M-80.  It wasn’t…  The XS goes in the opposite direction and becomes more neutral, something a lot of audiophiles wanted the M-100 to do.  This is definitely a good sign.  Overall, the XS retain the warm signature of the M-80, but become just slightly more neutral.  As with the M-100, a pair of V-Corks are included.  These, however, are shaped more like a headphone jack and pretty much universal.  They are supposed to help with misbalanced sound with dual inputs.

VCork.jpg

More specifically, when we get into the bass regions, we find that the XS keeps itself well controlled throughout, although it does have a slight mid-bass hump that it inherits from the M-80, it’s smaller and more controlled though.  Bass depth is improved over the predecessor as bass does dig deeper textures beautifully.  Bass impacts are strong and thicker while the midbass isn’t the tightest and holds average speed.

The midrange holds a very nice medium between laid back and aggressive, it’s actually a good middle ground though as it keeps the XS inviting while not ridding of any details.  That said, the detailing is all there while the clarity is gorgeously rendered giving the upper midrange that bit of energy it needs.  Vocals were something that the M-80 did well, and that is another thing that the XS inherits from it.  Vocals are dynamic allowing them to get lush while also being able to go up high.

As we go up into the treble range, we find that this is where the sound does take a slight step back like the M-80, but to a lesser degree.  The lower treble holds good extension though could be slightly better in some places.  It also details well and has OK presence overall.  V-MODA states that the XS does extend in the treble better than the M-80, and I’ll admit it does, but the upper highs just don’t seem to hold enough presence or power unfortunately.  Separation and clarity (in notes) are done fantastically though.

If you want some pretty pictures, they are in the review as well. 

May 5, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #558 of 972
Great review tinyman392. Thanks. On the treble aspect i agree. I tried fiddling with the treble on my fiio E07K but didn't feel like it was helping the sound much. I actually liked it better at neutral.
Just one suggestion to help us noobs. The headband is steelflex I believe, which helps in personalizing the fit to get a secure seal for the best sound and staying put. Maybe a couple photos of a really bent 'phone would help too.

May 5, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #559 of 972
Great review tinyman392. Thanks. On the treble aspect i agree. I tried fiddling with the treble on my fiio E07K but didn't feel like it was helping the sound much. I actually liked it better at neutral.
Just one suggestion to help us noobs. The headband is steelflex I believe, which helps in personalizing the fit to get a secure seal for the best sound and staying put. Maybe a couple photos of a really bent 'phone would help too.

Thanks.  I actually haven't tried fiddling around with the sound at all :p  I do know the treble is slightly improved with the Vamp, as is the bass.  And yes, the SteelFlex headband was something that was advertised heavily in the M-80 by Val.  It's part of all V-Moda's still, just not spoken about as much. 

May 9, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #560 of 972

Thanks.  I actually haven't tried fiddling around with the sound at all :p  I do know the treble is slightly improved with the Vamp, as is the bass.  And yes, the SteelFlex headband was something that was advertised heavily in the M-80 by Val.  It's part of all V-Moda's still, just not spoken about as much. 

Would you suggest actually buying the vamp though? Is it truly worth it?

May 9, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #561 of 972

It's an expensive piece of hardware.  If you're comfortable purchasing an amp at this price it may be worth it.  It is a good quality DAC/AMP, it obviously isn't perfect, but still great.  It does help improve the sound of the XS, but at 3x the cost?  You could find a pair of headphones that'll do the same :/ 

May 9, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #562 of 972

It's an expensive piece of hardware.  If you're comfortable purchasing an amp at this price it may be worth it.  It is a good quality DAC/AMP, it obviously isn't perfect, but still great.  It does help improve the sound of the XS, but at 3x the cost?  You could find a pair of headphones that'll do the same :/ 

True but I have a good deal on the Verza (probably 40% off) and i don't want to get different headphones since I like V-MODA and everything about them.
I'm comfortable spending the money, I just want to know if it actually makes the sound noticeably better or it's an amp for critical listening.

May 9, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #563 of 972
True but I have a good deal on the Verza (probably 40% off) and i don't want to get different headphones since I like V-MODA and everything about them.
I'm comfortable spending the money, I just want to know if it actually makes the sound noticeably better or it's an amp for critical listening.

It does improve the sound of headphones, the effect the amp has (any amp really) is subtle, but it's there and in this case just about across the spectrum.  It's a warmer amp, but definitely able to be used for critical listening, though it's warmer than most iDevices.  I'm actually using it to power my HiFiMAN's right now... 

May 9, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #564 of 972
Copied and pasted directly from the description section of my YouTube video

Over two years ago Val Kolton, the CEO of V-Moda, sent me his then recently released M80 Crossfade on ear mobile headphone. He sent it to me, and others, free of charge in exchange for a review noting the pluses and minuses of his new product. It was my very first official review for a company and the online community of head-fi. Unknown to me, two plus years later my rants and ravings over gear have yet to stop. In my mind it was Val Kolton and his M80 who started me down this path of pseudo armchair audio gear reviewer.

The XS isn't a new product but a tweaked product that builds off the already solid performance of the original M80. The form factor has been improved by the addition of  the M-100's foldable hinges thus making the headphone even tinier then before. Because of its even tinier size its carrying case has also shrunk making the XS probably one of the most least space demanding headphone for mobile use currently available on the market.

With improved form factor we also now have improved sonics. While the original M80 may have been overly polite and soft in the highs the new XS brings in better extension and sparkly highs all the while retaining its smooth fluid character and avoiding the metallic tinniness lesser headphones are known for. Because of better highs the headphone now sounds better balanced and the sound stage seems to have expanded a tiny bit more in comparison to the original M80.

Major kudos and much respect goes out to Mr Val Kolton for taking our group feedback from over two years ago and quietly going to work behind the scenes and building an even better mouse trap. Considering Mr Val Kolton's family is of Italian ancestry all that's left to say is.....
BUON LAVORO IL MIO UOMO!!!

May 9, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #565 of 972

It does improve the sound of headphones, the effect the amp has (any amp really) is subtle, but it's there and in this case just about across the spectrum.  It's a warmer amp, but definitely able to be used for critical listening, though it's warmer than most iDevices.  I'm actually using it to power my HiFiMAN's right now... 

I won't be getting it then. I'm not looking for critical listening and these days I find myself using the XS more than my M100, since I'm always on the go.
The Verza looks amazing, but right now I have a nice DAC that works (FiiO E17) and it improves sound overral when used as a DAC. I also have it set up to take audio input from my PS3 and use it as a combined mixamp / amp setup so I can use my M100s and XS with the PS3. It's a hard setup to master.
Thanks for that, man. You saved me $400!

May 9, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #566 of 972
I have the E07K which like the e17 is compatible as a DAC when docked on the e09k which is solely an amp but an absolute beast at that ($109). Not very portable but at least scalable for critical listening with other less sensitive headphones.
The other thing I have realized is that when connected to the computer, the usb port provides very little power to the DAC+amp on the E07K causing some frequencies to clip on my headphones, and thus the e09k would solve that problem as its wall charged leaving the usb port to power only the dac.

I won't be getting it then. I'm not looking for critical listening and these days I find myself using the XS more than my M100, since I'm always on the go.
The Verza looks amazing, but right now I have a nice DAC that works (FiiO E17) and it improves sound overral when used as a DAC. I also have it set up to take audio input from my PS3 and use it as a combined mixamp / amp setup so I can use my M100s and XS with the PS3. It's a hard setup to master.
Thanks for that, man. You saved me $400!

May 9, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #567 of 972
Apologies for the double post but this was what I was saying.
I have the E07K which like the e17 is compatible as a DAC when docked on the e09k which is solely an amp but an absolute beast at that ($109). Not very portable but at least scalable for critical listening with other less sensitive headphones.
The other thing I have realized is that when connected to the computer, the usb port provides very little power to the DAC+amp on the E07K causing some frequencies to clip on my headphones, and thus the e09k would solve that problem as its wall charged leaving the usb port to power only the dac.

May 12, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #568 of 972
We have a contest today to win a XS and we are not plan on doing many contests in the future. Chances of winning are high right now! 

https://www.facebook.com/VMODA/photos/a.343705018091.191634.106696703091/10152459739913092/?type=1&theater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back