V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion, Questions] #FirstthreadtocoverXS
Apr 25, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #466 of 972
So I just won a pair of the M-80 for 60 bucks on Ebay, wondering for when I get them if there is a way to check if they are legit, I hope I got lucky, didn't even know that they had a successor already, almost bought these for 200 a year ago but went with the HD-25's instead because I found them for 130 and could not pass it up.

Apr 25, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #467 of 972
  So I just won a pair of the M-80 for 60 bucks on Ebay, wondering for when I get them if there is a way to check if they are legit, I hope I got lucky, didn't even know that they had a successor already, almost bought these for 200 a year ago but went with the HD-25's instead because I found them for 130 and could not pass it up.

Last year when Radio Shack was getting rid off M-80, those were sold for $40 (http://www.head-fi.org/t/683149/v-moda-m-80s-at-radio-shack-for-40).  So, I think someone made $20 on ebay :)

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #469 of 972
Did you order direct from V-Moda? I don't think that cable is included in the box. It seems to be an extra if you order from their website.

Yup. Ordered directly from V-Moda the day they launched (and after fixing the crazy price) so maybe mine were shipped before the purple cable was included.

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #471 of 972
I've been wearing the M-100s for the last year or so when out walking.  I got the XS because I was looking for a similar sound signature but something a bit smaller on the head.  I also need something that's comfortable while wearing glasses and a cap.

The XS sound is different, but I think I've got it fine tuned now to the point where I have been using them every day, and not missing the M-100s.  I am using the XS with my iPhone 5 and the Vamp Verza.  

I also use the Audioforge Equalizer app for playing my iTunes library.  I've made an EQ curve that boosts the low bass slightly; the mids and treble are excellent just as they are (even better than the M-100s.)  I prefer a somewhat neutral sound, but when outside with wind and traffic noise, the bass needs a little help.  

And, the XS are very comfortable; they seem like they might move around on the head, or even fall off, but they don't.  I'm very pleased with them.  I will keep the M-100s, though, and probably get the XL pads for them.  For winter walking, they'll make great earmuffs.

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #472 of 972
I've been wearing the M-100s for the last year or so when out walking.  I got the XS because I was looking for a similar sound signature but something a bit smaller on the head.  I also need something that's comfortable while wearing glasses and a cap.

The XS sound is different, but I think I've got it fine tuned now to the point where I have been using them every day, and not missing the M-100s.  I am using the XS with my iPhone 5 and the Vamp Verza.  

I also use the Audioforge Equalizer app for playing my iTunes library.  I've made an EQ curve that boosts the low bass slightly; the mids and treble are excellent just as they are (even better than the M-100s.)  I prefer a somewhat neutral sound, but when outside with wind and traffic noise, the bass needs a little help.  

And, the XS are very comfortable; they seem like they might move around on the head, or even fall off, but they don't.  I'm very pleased with them.  I will keep the M-100s, though, and probably get the XL pads for them.  For winter walking, they'll make great earmuffs.

Couple of questions for you. First off, how is the comfort of the XS with the glasses? I loved the M-80 form factor and sound, but had to pass them along because they hurt my ears after an hour or so. Has the XS fixed this? Also, does the Audioforge app chew through the iPhone 5s battery as badly as the stock EQ? I find the M-100s to be a mixed bag. Fine on some songs, but needing a little bass reduction EQ for others.

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #473 of 972
The XS do fit closer to the head than the M100s, but the side of the headband does not touch my glasses at all.  There's enough clearance so they don't rub.  Even if they touched, I don't think it would be an issue; the XS fit snugly but have almost no clamping force.  As I mentioned, they feel like they might move or come off, but they stay put.

And I have never noticed that the Audioforge EQ drains the iPhone battery any quicker than with any other function of the phone.  I've never noticed that with the stock EQ either, although I haven't used it much.  The Verza will always need charging before the phone does, anyway.

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #474 of 972
So with EQ, you are saying just to notch up the low end a bit and leave everything else how it is or is there more to it? I use a samsung galaxy s3 and the poweramp app which does make a big difference in sound and which amp would you recomend that is in the $50-$100 dollar range that will improve bass and over all sound?

Apr 26, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #476 of 972
Can someone comment on how these compare to the Sony mdr 1r?

Im sure there are more qualified people that can give some more insight (since i never owned the mdr 1r) i do spend an awful lot of time listening to them at the sony store when im at the mall, off my iphone, only thought
I actually felt the xs is a smaller mdr1r. As in it has the forward mids and that smooth sound becaus of the midbass.

But the bass i prefer the xs, it ends lower and its tighter. Better for more genres.

The treble id dare to say the xs extends more.

But the soundstage on the mdr 1r is insane, especially for a closed can, its soo expansive. A bit more diffuse vocals but i say sounds better but smoother.

Comfort id say the mdr1r is better because the earcups are huge that theres no pressure points, but the xs are great for on ear but its still pressing on your ear

Havent heard the mdr 1r so take that with a grain of salt, but i came away really contemplating way back if i should get a pair but even at christmas the cheapest was i think 200 plus tax, im in canada. But i think my quibble was the bass didnt reach as low and wasnt as tight

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #477 of 972
Im sure there are more qualified people that can give some more insight (since i never owned the mdr 1r) i do spend an awful lot of time listening to them at the sony store when im at the mall, off my iphone, only thought
I actually felt the xs is a smaller mdr1r. As in it has the forward mids and that smooth sound becaus of the midbass.

But the bass i prefer the xs, it ends lower and its tighter. Better for more genres.

The treble id dare to say the xs extends more.

But the soundstage on the mdr 1r is insane, especially for a closed can, its soo expansive. A bit more diffuse vocals but i say sounds better but smoother.

Comfort id say the mdr1r is better because the earcups are huge that theres no pressure points, but the xs are great for on ear but its still pressing on your ear

Havent heard the mdr 1r so take that with a grain of salt, but i came away really contemplating way back if i should get a pair but even at christmas the cheapest was i think 200 plus tax, im in canada. But i think my quibble was the bass didnt reach as low and wasnt as tight

...thanks, i found it interesting that your evaluation of the mdr 1r seems to line up with my impressions and i have owned the 1r for about a year

if the two are similar sounding then perhaps I will replace my 1r with the xs as my travel set later on..hmmm..    

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #478 of 972
Don't get me wrong, I love the XS from when I tried it earlier this month, but it's nowhere near as comfortable as my ATH-M50's, and the sound is also not as good as my ATH-M50's, as mentioned above. 

SpiderNahn explains the Revolver well in his quote:
The Revolver is a legendary headphone in the Val Kolton mythology. It's supposed to be his perfect headphone both in design and sound quality and will not see the light of day until he figures it out. Search his posts with the keyword "Revolver" if you want to learn more.

The codename "Revolver" probably has something to do with rotating cups, something V-MODA headphones have been missing.

My hopes for the Revolver are that it be:
  • Balanced. (Slight emphasis on Bass & Sub-Bass, NO "V" SHAPED SOUND SIG)
  • Closed but 'Open'. (Bigger soundstage than my M50's.)
  • COMFORTABLE. (Headband padding and ear padding both need to be full and soft. This is a huge thing for me.)
  • Portable. (Foldable, carryable, what-have-you. Let me take it with me!)
  • Beautiful & built well. 

Hmmm... I wonder if it'd be too early to create an anticipation / discussion thread for these... 

Since it's not a real product, no use of making a thread haha :)

M100 vs XS - M100 is better but the m50 wins as it is neutral. I guess you could tweak the M100 to be neutral if wanted.
Sound wise, it depends what you listen to. I'd rather go with V-Moda but wouldn't mind ATH. Both great companies with great sound.
Edit:
M50s do you make you look like a helicopter pilot, though.

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #479 of 972
Since it's not a real product, no use of making a thread haha
smily_headphones1.gif

M100 vs XS - M100 is better but the m50 wins as it is neutral. I guess you could tweak the M100 to be neutral if wanted.
Sound wise, it depends what you listen to. I'd rather go with V-Moda but wouldn't mind ATH. Both great companies with great sound.
Edit:
M50s do you make you look like a helicopter pilot, though.

..for some the helicopter pilot look is quite appealing! .. 

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #480 of 972
  ...thanks, i found it interesting that your evaluation of the mdr 1r seems to line up with my impressions and i have owned the 1r for about a year

if the two are similar sounding then perhaps I will replace my 1r with the xs as my travel set later on..hmmm..    

i have a good ear?

haha i spend a bit, just a bit too much time listening to them at the sony store haha.

the xs i think isolates a bit more than the mdr1r the top vent on the the sonys really leak in sound too much

in terms of design though u cant go wrong with either (different tastes for sure, sonys more adult-classy looking, while the xs is more flashy), i'm not sure which colour of the mdr1rs u got but i'm in love with the silver and brown

i got the xs in white pearl with gold shields (shoulda gotten a custom logo, oh well) soo id say pretty subtle =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back