V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Mar 14, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #1,456 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Udi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks - do you know if the q-Jays will be long enough from pocket to ears without one of the extension (if you've used them in person)? They say 24" cable (no ext) but I'm not sure if that's from plug to splitter, or from plug to earbud. Also, what's street pricing like on the q-Jay and d-Jay? Might be something to consider for after I kill the vibes... I'm pretty sure the SE530 is out of my pricerange already.

Also, do you think there's any particular type of music I can play through the vibes for the next ~150 hours to either reduce the amount of bass they have or increase the treble/midrange? Would playing treble/mid heavy music or bass heavy music be preferable for this?

You might want to email Val at V-moda and ask him and tell him what you are looking for in sound.

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #1,457 of 1,475
My good 'ol first generation Vibes have fallen victim to stress damage along the plug. I managed to patch things up with a band of electrical tape, but the sound seems to have changed slightly. (Left ear is more "full" sounding than right. Could this be a driver damage or just an incomplete burn-in?)

Are newer versions of the Vibes much better in terms of sound quality? Also, have the tips been redesigned at all? The ones that came with mine were very thin, so it was near impossible to get a snug fit.

Mar 14, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #1,458 of 1,475
Quote:

Also, do you think there's any particular type of music I can play through the vibes for the next ~150 hours to either reduce the amount of bass they have or increase the treble/midrange? Would playing treble/mid heavy music or bass heavy music be preferable for this?

I had mine for months and the bass continued to smother the rest of the spectrum. The only way I got them to be listenable was with HEAVY handed EQing.

One thing I'll say for the build quality, my kid excitedly told me one day that my computer speakers weren't very loud. He showed me he had everything maxed out and then I saw that the Vibes were plugged in. Didn't hurt them a bit and it was far louder than human ear drums could tolerate!

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #1,459 of 1,475
Quote:

Thanks - do you know if the q-Jays will be long enough from pocket to ears without one of the extension (if you've used them in person)? They say 24" cable (no ext) but I'm not sure if that's from plug to splitter, or from plug to earbud. Also, what's street pricing like on the q-Jay and d-Jay? Might be something to consider for after I kill the vibes... I'm pretty sure the SE530 is out of my pricerange already.

I just measured my q-Jays, they're 60cm from the earbuds to the 3.5mm plug (28cm from the Y-splitter to the plug). The extension cable would add 90cm to the total length, bringing it to a whopping 150cm.

If you're interested you can read my q-Jays review: JAYS q-JAYS Review

They're damn fine sounding phones, the most precise ones I have (more precision, more bass, more treble than Etymotic ER-6). They go for $180 (and they're worth it, IMO).

As for "burning in" the Vibes - my opinion is to do nothing special, just listen normally and get it done slowly. Improper burn-in with pink noise and all that might do more harm than good, as I noticed with a little burn-in test I did once.

BTW, if you're halfway skilled with a soldering iron, it's easy as pie to cut a phone's cable and solder a 3.5mm plug to it at the exact length you want it to be.

Mar 31, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #1,460 of 1,475
The V-Moda Vibes are the worst IEMs I've owned. They were extremely uncomfortable, constantly fell out of my ears while I walked, suffered really badly from cable microphonics, and only lasted 3 months before the right bud stopped working (the headphone jack had put to much pressure on the rather than cable).

I bought them because they are the best looking IEMs on the market, but I now thnk they're nothing more than an over-priced fashion item.

Then again, I've heard plenty of others rave about them, so it just goes to show that we've all got a different opinion.

Apr 1, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #1,461 of 1,475
Those who hate the Vibe's must be nuts. They are fan-freakin-tastic. They are the only in ear phones I've ever owned, but compared to my girlfriend's Bose Tri-ports, I got a much better phone for the same price.

And as far as the company, I gotta give them kudos. I had a pair of Flashback chrome that I bought from someone here (they were new, a replacement for his previous ones that broke). I used them for about 6 months and the cable became so stiff they would not stay in my ears. I wrote a letter to V-Moda explaining the situation, and they replaced them, for free. They even gave me a different color (gunmetal) because I asked since they have a traditional cable that should not have the stiffness problem.

I love these phones, and cheers to V-Moda for being so damned customer friendly.

Apr 1, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #1,462 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by theholmes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those who hate the Vibe's must be nuts. They are fan-freakin-tastic. They are the only in ear phones I've ever owned, but compared to my girlfriend's Bose Tri-ports, I got a much better phone for the same price.

I loved them when I first got them too, until I got accustomed to my HD595 and then went back to the Vibes. The bass was just too heavy and muddy, and it really covered up the detail in the rest of the spectrum.

The Bose aren't necessarily the best 'phones anyway, and I would certainly imagine that the Vibes sound way better. Try some Etymotic IEMs if you ever get a chance, you'll be blown away! I certainly was.

I'm glad you like them, after all, we're all only going for what we think sounds the best. I just sold my Vibes to a buddy and he loves them.

BUT I AM NOT NUTS! At least, not because I don't like the Vibes...there are better reasons why I'm nuts...
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #1,463 of 1,475
The V-moda vibes are great sounding headphones. The bass always felt full and the the mids really stood out. I found them to fit my ears well also.

That said the build quality is horrible. The cabling on mine is falling apart. For such a nice headphone they should have had a stronger cable. Only after a few months of use you can see the insides of mine. They would be perfect if it had simiar cabling to the super-fi 5s or ec2s

Apr 8, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #1,464 of 1,475
Hi everyone. I am new here and also new to the whole high end audio scene. I have been looking for some nice headphones to complement my ipod. I have been looking some of the lower cost active noise cancelling sets (especially the audio technica ath-anc7). I am worried about the portability. The vibes seem like they would work well for me, but whenever i have used this style of headphones in the past I have had problems with them getting, well, greasy. I have a cheap jvc pair that is the same style and i take them out of my ears and they will have wax and **** all over them. will this be a problem?

Apr 19, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #1,465 of 1,475
Since the cable on my 1st-gen-Vibes became stiffer than a coat hanger and literally broke into pieces, I recabled them. Bought a pair of $4 earbuds from Dealextreme with colors matching the Vibes, they're as good as any other cable. The Vibes were a PITA to crack open, believe you me...

P1010071-800.jpg

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #1,466 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonny j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone. I am new here and also new to the whole high end audio scene. I have been looking for some nice headphones to complement my ipod. I have been looking some of the lower cost active noise cancelling sets (especially the audio technica ath-anc7). I am worried about the portability. The vibes seem like they would work well for me, but whenever i have used this style of headphones in the past I have had problems with them getting, well, greasy. I have a cheap jvc pair that is the same style and i take them out of my ears and they will have wax and **** all over them. will this be a problem?

Clean your ears more? If it's a problem with your jvc pair it'll be a problem with any IEM really.
All IEM tips should be cleaned regularly anyway.

Apr 24, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #1,467 of 1,475
So I just got my replacement pair, and they have the "Knurled CNC section on plug" that Udi showed on his on the last page.

I haven't burnt them in yet, but they sound really really bad as they are now.. the highs are muddy and undefined and the bass isn't as tight or clear (it's just kinda... boomy, without even being very loud) as I remember my old pair. (and they were 2nd gens)

Jun 20, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #1,468 of 1,475
It seem that this topic is dying... I was planning to get a Vibe Blush (pink) for my girlfriend as a birthday present (I think the Sansa Clip with the updated firmware which supports Vorbis format can provide good quality source for it) but now I am afraid of the build quality. What do you think, shall I look elsewhere? Colour is important to her of course
wink.gif
And if anybody saw one a picture would be nice because the photoshopped is probably very far from how it looks in the flesh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back