V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Sep 9, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #1,396 of 1,475
How are the Vibes for durability? I had a pair of Bass-Freqs and even though I loved the sound, they crapped out on me after four months. I've got a guy who wants to trade his Vibes for my Etymotics.

Sep 9, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #1,397 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are the Vibes for durability? I had a pair of Bass-Freqs and even though I loved the sound, they crapped out on me after four months. I've got a guy who wants to trade his Vibes for my Etymotics.

I got my pair of 1G in january, and had ductape around them from day 1 and they died about a month ago (got a new pair from V-Moda though) but the new model feels better
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #1,398 of 1,475
The first style Vibes had a problem with the plug where the edges where the cable came out would wear out the cable and cause it to fray, the new style has a new plug and shouldn't have that problem. Also, any of the first style you buy now will likely be the latest model with strain relief on the plug, so they should be pretty bulletproof.

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #1,401 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can I tell the difference between the different generations of the Vibes? What does the strain relief plug look like?

The new Vibes have this plug. Style wise at least. There are only two rings for stereo, no mic on the regular Vibes, and I believe it is gold-plated, not nickel. The old strain relief looks like this.

As for being cold. I've had them in while outside on a day where it didn't get out of the 30s (fahrenheit of course) and they didn't bother me. My ears were no more cold because of the Vibes than they were just because of the cold temperature.

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #1,402 of 1,475
Big pallet of V-Moda Vibes at my local Costco. iirc $73/pr.

I'm not buying any, just found it interesting, and then odd that i hadn't seen their sale at costco mentioned here.

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #1,403 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new Vibes have this plug. Style wise at least. There are only two rings for stereo, no mic on the regular Vibes, and I believe it is gold-plated, not nickel. The old strain relief looks like this.

As for being cold. I've had them in while outside on a day where it didn't get out of the 30s (fahrenheit of course) and they didn't bother me. My ears were no more cold because of the Vibes than they were just because of the cold temperature.

What if it looks like this?

Whoops, sorry about hte double post.

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #1,404 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What if it looks like this?

Is this the durable good plug, or a non-durable crappy plug?

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #1,405 of 1,475
That is the first style with strain relief. The same as the second link I post, just a different color of the Vibes. The black piece sticking up out of the plug around the cable is the strain relief.

*So to answer your question that is one of the good ones.

Sep 13, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #1,407 of 1,475
It pains me to say it but the red vibes I picked up back in, what, January? are starting to crap out in the left ear... It is definitely trouble near the plug because if i shake it there the sound goes in and out. I can't see any obvious fraying, but we all saw this coming, and even v-moda added some protection in the newer versions. Has anyone had much luck fixing this problem? Or if I go in and do a little surgery on the cable am I going to hurt sound quality?

EDIT: How about luck sending them in for a warranty replacement? I have seen plenty of people with the same problem as me but I haven't had so much luck searching and finding anyone who reported a solution?

Sep 13, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #1,408 of 1,475
V-Moda has always been good with customer service, so if you are under warranty, they will replace them. Most people used to heat shrink their plugs to prevent this. It isn't necessary on newer ones since they now have strain relief. If you do re-terminate them yourself you shouldn't see any degradation in sound quality. If you choose to go that route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back