V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Aug 8, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #1,351 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were you - I'd hate to lose those 1st gen. Vibes. Instead of sending them back to V.Moda, my personal choice would be to have someone put on a new plug (the probability is high your cable prob. is at the plug).

I know the problem is located at the plug, if I fiddle with it there, the left channel comes through once in a while, but are 2nd gen Vibes really that much different from the 1st Gen, and is it worth the hassle?

Aug 8, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #1,352 of 1,475
All I know is I luv my 1st gen. FlashBlack and there are a slew of posts that concern the sound quality of the 2nd gens.. Do a forum search and ye shall find. I kind of wish I'd grabbed 2 pair at the time.
I hesitate re Yuin PK1, simply because buds I've tried in the past always fall out no matter what I do.

Aug 9, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #1,354 of 1,475
I agree...my 1st gen Vibes are my favorite set of headphones. The sound quality is outstanding...a high end like etymotic but with solid bass and a great soundstage. I am not sure if V-Moda changed drivers or just modified the sound signature, but I have had 2nd and 3rd gen Vibes as well as the Vibe Duos and they don't come close to matching the sound quality of the 1st gen Vibes. The 2nd gen, 3d gen, and Duos are too bass heavy...the bass drowns out the vocals and overpowers the soundstage (making it seem small). The Duos are slightly better than the 2nd/3d gen Vibes (the highs have a touch more presence) but still fall well short of the 1st gen Vibes.

Val, how about a "reference series" Vibe that brings back the 1st gen driver/sound signature? I think you really had something special with the 1st gen setup.

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #1,355 of 1,475
i just received my new vibes after sending it for RMA because of the plug... i presume its the 3rd generation, and although the sound is still better than stock earbuds, i'm a bit disappointed in the sound. the bass is definitely heavier than the 1st gen, and drowns out the highs and mids... its almost as if it was redesigned for bass-heads only
confused.gif

i still love the comfort and style of the vibes, but the sound is not quite how i remembered it to be
frown.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #1,356 of 1,475
Hmm, are there any pictures/guides of people who have replaced the jack?

Edit: Found dfkt's link a few pages ago, first of all, I've soldered before, but only a few time,s so I'm far from good, second, the DIY plugs look huge in comparison to the normal jack on the vibe! So I'll go for the replacement, I've always missed more bass on the vibes, and the iPod EQ makes some songs distort if I don't have it on flat, so who knows, I might even like the 2nd Gen
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #1,357 of 1,475
how do the vibes compare with the mylarthree's?

I'm thinking of buying vibes or the mylarthree's, but I'm not sure which one to go...

And lately a lot of ppl are complaining that the later gens vibes don't sound as good as the first one.

Thanx!

Aug 11, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #1,358 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by FiReSToRM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do the vibes compare with the mylarthree's?

I'm thinking of buying vibes or the mylarthree's, but I'm not sure which one to go...

And lately a lot of ppl are complaining that the later gens vibes don't sound as good as the first one.

Thanx!

i've got a pair of vibes(not sure what gen, i got them used from a fellow head-fier) that i've had for a few months, and a pair of new mylar X3's that i should get any day now... i've really been enjoying the vibes, they have a nice punch to them with my zen stone, but the cable on the left bud is starting to crack and split, the main reason i ordered the X3's

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #1,360 of 1,475
I have both, the Vibes (1st gen) and the X3's. They're quite hard to compare - too different, sonically.

The Vibes have good bass, good soundstage, little isolation - but definitely lack the clarity of the X3's. The Vibes are musical/fun/warm sounding, the X3's are the opposite, sort of.

The X3's lack bass extension and punchyness, and they're very bright and kind of fatiguing after listening to them for a while. However they got great clarity and are easier to listen to than, for example, the quite similar sounding Ety ER-6.

I definitely prefer the Vibes over the X3's. YMMV.

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #1,361 of 1,475
Items Ordered
1 of: V-MODA Vibe Earbuds - Flashback Chrome [Electronics]
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

Order Placed: August 6, 2007
Shipping estimate: August 20, 2007
Delivery estimate: August 27, 2007 - August 31, 2007

blink.gif
that's a long time for shipping...
hope these turn out to be good.

[
blink.gif
Amazon isn't even listed as a reseller of FlashBack Chrome's anymore...]

UPDATE: Amazon stocked back up on Flashback Chromes.

Aug 15, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #1,362 of 1,475
i have a rock boxed ipod, i've been messing with EQ quite a bit, its 2G Vibe, still messing with EQ but at the moment i found the balance to be 3% off, i'm not sure whats up with my vibes, but the bass still sounds very odd compared to when i first have it. +4 db low filter boost o_o

Aug 15, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #1,363 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I definitely prefer the Vibes over the X3's. YMMV.

thnx, but the vibes you got are first gen vibes, I doubt it would be the same with the later gen vibes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back