V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Feb 11, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #721 of 1,475
A question for Val or anyone who may have taken these apart:

Is the openness of the Vibes merely a question of the tiny vent in the front, or is the back open as well? If you look closely in the circular gap between the little turbine-shaped end and the main housing, you can see that it is only anchored at the top and bottom. It seems to me that there is free air play into the housing around the sides. If this is true, it would amount to a fully opened BACK as well as front to the headphones, and go a long way to explaining both the lack of isolation and the excellent soundstage.

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I've looked through the thread and didn't see any discussion of it.

Feb 11, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #722 of 1,475
Actually, there are two batches of Vibes - first production models (Gunmetal/Flashblack) are completely closed in the back. It used to have three holes hidden in the back in preproduction (the head-fi preproduction models though are closed, iLounge's preproduction unit had the 3 holes in back). The second batch production models (Red Roxx currently, and soon Gunmetal Black) actually have one SMALL hole in the back that is hidden. The second batch has only one sound pad inside, the first ones had three. We are currently also laser cutting the drivers and first batch was not cut by lasers. Not sure if any other driver in production by other mfgrs is cut/shaped by lasers for precision, I believe vibe is one of the first. Vibe's coils/membranes are attached by some pretty advanced machines, where Bass Freq this part (attaching coil to driver) is done by hand currently (there is + and - to doing this by machine and hand, it equals out). But the response curve and soundstage/signature are nearly identical in first/second batches, we definitely realize the importance of keeping the sound if anything changes.

The soundstage though is nearly 100% from the hole laser cut in the actual driver, which is pretty unique too. I am sure the hole in front provides extra spatial enhancements, I will double check with engineers what effects it more (driver hole I believe).

We're going to do a 3d cutout of Vibe soon to show some of the insides and how it works, should be exciting for ya'll to see, it is pretty jam packed inside there.

Feb 13, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #725 of 1,475
iLounge is still working on review...

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #726 of 1,475
Feb 13, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #727 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by valkolton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iLounge is still working on review...

I hope it is well done...
wink.gif

Ply

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #728 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by plywood99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jeremy has issues I think. I followed the whole fiasco from the start some months ago. I'd ask for a retraction and apology. If he is not willing, then let the lawyers fight it out...

Ply

We'll work on it and talk it over...

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #730 of 1,475
ce la vie, it's being discussed...

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #731 of 1,475
My GF subscribes to Lucky (www.luckymag.com) and the Vibes get a brief mention on Page 130 of their FEB 2007 issue.

I quote:

Noise-blocking headphones make such a difference - especially when it comes to watching movies on loud flights. This is the smallest, best-fitting pair out there.
V-MODA VIBE EARPHONES, $100, APPLE.COM

The silver Vibes are pictured.

I find it funny that they stress the isolating feature of these headphones when according to what I have read here, the Vibes are poor at isolation when compared to other IEMs and canalphones. Though I suppose they are a step up from the traditional Apple earbuds. Perhaps that is all V-Moda wants.

Edit: I find it odd that I only began my search for replacement headphones like 2-3 weeks ago, and it just so happens that the Vibes are catching on like wild fire at the same time, be it on this forum, Apple, Lucky Magazine, etc. The hype gives me pause if anything...long enough for me to put my credit card BACK into my wallet!

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #733 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchi211 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody noticed that iLounge's review is gone from the sight?

Yes it was just there, it's probably getting amended
icon10.gif
It was definatly a bit biased/slanted. It made it sound like every other vibe had a different sound signature because of poor quality control, and there where tons of problems with the units failing.

They do sound a little rough out of the box, but with some use (burn in) they get real smooth and full- I guess the ipod dudes didn't know that
rolleyes.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #734 of 1,475
Heh. I just read the review. The aricle was fairly well written. Very competent author; too bad it's influenced by false information.

The forum bit seems to have unnerved the author the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back