V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Feb 10, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #691 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was going to report back about my cold weather experiment but alas i really couldn't execute. why? because it is too flippin' cold, that's why! we've got air temps of 5 degrees F with strong winds. so that's like -100 degree wind chill. (okay, i'm exaggerating... but only a little!) so i had my head sock on therefore my vibes were totally covered including the wire so it never was out in the cold. they continue to sound great and made dealing with this brutal cold weather much more bearable. guess i'll give it another go tomorrow. as long as the wind dies down, i'll bear the cold for the sake of science!
evil_smiley.gif

oh, and by the way... i have absolutely NO sympathy for you guys and your inadequate air conditioning! grrrr!!!!

Hi Warrior05, did you get a chance to freeze your ear lobes? Did the Vibes stay in your ears or did the cables stiffen up and wigle out?

Peter

Feb 10, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #692 of 1,475
I must admit I took these phones lightly purely because I figured they couldnt be that good for only a hundred bucks. Judging by this review however, I may have to go out and get a pair. Nothings worse than picking your cheap phones over your expensive phones while going out in the AM. You have a little argument in your head about which to bring.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #694 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by vrus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly don't know. I didn't even know they could come off. To me it just sounds really dumb to do a rma for such a small thing, but if it's really important I guess I will. I don't really know how much the buds will be affected without it, though.

They don't look as good and are not as easy to pull out of your ears...the former is definitely part of what we are paying for
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #695 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Warrior05, did you get a chance to freeze your ear lobes? Did the Vibes stay in your ears or did the cables stiffen up and wigle out?

Peter

we're in the middle of quite a cold snap and so far the vibes have performed just fine. the cable doesn't feel like it is stiffening in the cold (which is consistent with val's freezer experiment) and i've had no trouble with them staying in. keep in mind though, i do wrap the cord over my ears so there is about 0 pull on the units themselves.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #696 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by schneller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
004aa4.jpg

The tips on these things look so big to me. Are they really CANAL headphones? They slip into the ear canal?

they most certainly are. actually, the vibes' S/M/L tips are smaller than shure's tips. you might be thrown off by how much bigger the sound tube is compared to shure and other IEMs.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #697 of 1,475
vrus- I would definitely get the grill replaced. From what I have read and can see, it protects the "innards" of the earphones - drivers, etc. - from dirt/earwax. Check with V-Moda customer support about it...

Holly

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #698 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moody /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was used to the sound of the Shure E3's and CX300's. The Vibes are way better than the CX300's, but lack the detailled midrange and balanced sound of the E3's. I will give the Vibes a second chance next week.

totally agree here. my E4s and even my E2Cs had more detail than the Vibes but i find the Vibes are more musical and i prefer them over both Shure IEMs. i'll gladly sacrifice some detail for the Vibes' open headphone like presentation and rich full bodied sound.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #699 of 1,475
I have the Red Roxx, the JBL Reference 220's and the Westone UM2's. The Vibes are the best of the lot in my opinion. They just portray the music as more real and immediate when placed corrected correctly in my ears. I think the sound of the other two monitors is very good but the Vibes are just more open, airy and portray the dynamics in an uncompressed and natural way.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #700 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Red Roxx, the JBL Reference 220's and the Westone UM2's. The Vibes are the best of the lot in my opinion. They just portray the music as more real and immediate when placed corrected correctly in my ears. I think the sound of the other two monitors is very good but the Vibes are just more open, airy and portray the dynamics in an uncompressed and natural way.

can't speak to the UM2s but that's a surprise statement considering their price point. i actually feel that the 220s are a touch more refined than the Vibes. i did an A/B comparison and the 220s offered more detail across the board. i suppose they sound a bit more analytical because the mids aren't as forward but i still find them to be very musical. de-emphasize the bass just a tad and the 220s have a similar sound sig as the K701s - like they could be their little kid brother. so for me it's 1, 1A in regards to how i rate the 220s and Vibes respectively. definitely just an individual preference compared to how you hear them.

both are fine canalphones at their pricepoints. that's for sure!
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #701 of 1,475
It is very interesting but it would also have to relate to each persons ear canal. I find just the opposite with the Red Roxx as more detailed and natural. So there is goes. :^)

Feb 10, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #702 of 1,475
Plug - re 90 degree or straight, the mfgr will always be damned. I can see if a customer prefers a 90 degree plug and a customer (like me) who will always be going amped is happier with straight in plug...........the prob. as others and myself have already posted is the extremely small surface and slipperyness of the plug that makes removal a pain in the butt. I put some shrinkwrap on the plug and used enough to go 1/4-3/8 beyond to plug (over the cable) and that works fine.........LUV the cable that is on the FLashblack and Red Roxx pairs. If I purchase an additional pair of Vibes, I want THAT cable on them.
One of the recent posts re fit - I don't see them as IEM's, but fitting up against the earcanal.........something of a hybrid by current definitions, and the SQ being even more dependent on the individual tips.........but, they stay in position very well - to the extent I have yet to have cause to adjust them for that reason.

Feb 10, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #704 of 1,475
Since I use a Nano - always amped (in my case a Xin Supermini IV). In terms of the Vibes themselves - don't expect a major difference.

Feb 10, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #705 of 1,475
In terms of amping (iPod - ALO - Hornet), I found no difference. Then again, I was trying them out on a school campus, but the noise at the time was low.

The only difference (to me) was it amplified all of its characteristics, good and bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back