V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Feb 5, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #601 of 1,475
Silly question...

I've stoped using my nano when I walk the dog because the cold temperature stiffens the earphone cords to the point where they just pull out of my ears as I walk normaly. Makes it impossible to enjoy the music since they pop out every 15 to 20 seconds.

Has anyone tried the Vibes or the JBL reference 220 in -15 deg C (5 deg F)? Do they stay in your ears longer then 15 seconds when walking in that weather? How often do you have to push them back in? Do the Vibe's metal body get too cold against your ear?

PS: Today, anyone in the north-east US will be able to answer that... if they dare go out
etysmile.gif
If anyone wonders, I'm in Montreal Canada, it's average february weather up here
blink.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #602 of 1,475
i don't always take music when i walk the dog but i have gone out with my vibes when it was in the teens (that's farenheit) and had no issues. i find the only time i have any issues with the metal body of the vibes is when they are cold when i first put them in. perks you right up! otherwise, your body temp keeps them warm.

when i go out tonight i'll where them. it's only supposed to get up to 10 degrees today so by the time i go out around 5:00 it should be in the single digits. i'll post back later once i thaw out.
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #603 of 1,475
I'm getting my Red Roxx soon (I hope), and it should be below -20 deg C here. I'll post my impressions as I get them.

It should be noted that the Gunmetal and La Mocha have different, the more commonly seen cable, which is a different story.

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #605 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried the Vibes or the JBL reference 220 in -15 deg C (5 deg F)? Do they stay in your ears longer then 15 seconds when walking in that weather?

Also note the two different cables, they may react differently - which headphones do you have that stiffen alot the stock Ipod? Gunmetal black/La Mocha is a stiffer cable than Flashblack Chrome/Red Roxx. How the cable reacts to cold, I do not personally know and I'd love to hear about this for reference - it is almost 80-90 degrees in Southern California yesterday and today where I am, but I am running again and they stay in great. The metal bodies warm up quickly, and do the silicone is making most of the contact with your ears (but everybody's ear shape is different). If its very cold out, some people put them in their hand for a few seconds and they warm up quickly.

ps - I'll have an engineer put some Vibes in the freezer and give a report back. We also have drowned them in salt water overnight to test corrosion and electrical conductivity, and one engineer jumproped with them as a funny, yet unofficial, way to test durability (seriously don't try this at home, but maybe we'll youtube it next time!).

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #606 of 1,475
Well, the lack of isolation on the Vibes compared to the Sony EX71s really has me concerned. I don't know what to consider now.

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #607 of 1,475
I luv the cables on my Flashblack Chrome Vibes - but how about having that engineer re-design the plug to look just as cool, but easier to unplug, and reinsert? The gripping surface is inadequate.......and how can I get hold of a pair of medium black plugs to try? I like medium for SQ, but long-term comfort is not with the clears for me. These are, basically, the only issues between me and a second pair
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #608 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I luv the cables on my Flashblack Chrome Vibes - but how about having that engineer re-designing the plug to look just as cool, but more easy to unlug, and reinsert? The gripping surface is inadequate.......and how can I get hold of a pair of medium black plugs to try? I like medium for SQ, but long-term comfort is not with the clears for me. These are, basically, the only issue between me and a second pair
smily_headphones1.gif

It seems we're getting lots of good feedback on the Flashblack cable flexibility, we'll keep it in mind. Our new Bass Freqs (black, green, and red) actually use a pretty cool cable too, VERY silky, and we'll test how people like them. For the plug, why would you ever want to unplug vibe? JK, we've heard this a few times and will consider it but this is why it has the recessed area.

The black fittings in medium and large come in the package with La Mocha, Red Roxx, and future versions of Gunmetal Black/Flashblack Chrome. Instead of giving two pairs in each color/size and not including black M/L, we now do one pair of each color and size and black comes in M/L too. Originally the black small fittings were just a bonus, but people liked them so much we decided to make them equally standard. you can also buy the fittings in clear or black in packs that come with S/M/L on our website here for $7.99:

http://shop.v-moda.com/pc-21-2-fittings.aspx

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #610 of 1,475
"like i want to hear about those temps!"

Yeah -- I drove out to the distant suburbs for a Super Bowl party, and had to run the air conditioner the whole way. Fortunately I remembered to wear a short-sleeve shirt. It was a beautiful day, but too warm for February, at least for my taste ... it's weird to be looking for a shaded parking spot this time of the year [edit: in the Northern Hemisphere, of course].

It's interesting to read climate-related comments about headphones and earphones, for all makes and all climates, to see the extent to which conditions affect the listening experience.

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #611 of 1,475
To Val Kolton: I posted a message before in this thread, sent you an e-mail and a PM, about a problem I had when ordering the Vibes directly from V-Moda. I need some help from V-Moda, my order was not processed, I was not able to complete the order but it is already appearing under my expenses in my credit card account, three times - and I only ordered one pair, and there was an error message. I would like to contact the person responsible, if you can please help me and reply to my message/email please do. I know you are very nice with customer support in V-Moda, and this is the case. I already tried to contact through the homepage (Contact option) but until now I have no response from anybody in V-Moda.
I sure want to order the phones, but due to this issue I was not able to do it.
More details are in the PM (and mail) I sent you through this forum.
Thanks in advance!

Feb 5, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #612 of 1,475
Ya, at my friend's Super Bowl party we were sweating, AC couldn't keep up! It is a little odd, but it did get pretty cold for a few weeks in So Cal after New Years. We do have great interest in people's climates and conditions and how it effects the products. My little brother is a pilot in the Air Force, and was stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan, and had temps higher than 120degrees in the tents. We use an aircraft-grade LOCTITE adhesive for adhering parts in all of our products, which can withstand a lot of heat and pressure. We actually tested over 10 different adhesive materials for the Remix product as this was the first product the Army and Air Force bought from V-MODA and we wanted to make sure these things could withstand the heat and desert abuse.

Feb 5, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #613 of 1,475
Val - in answer to your question re plugging and unplugging -if you have more than one dap - that is what you do (even though I have 3 other earphones). ........and if you also add an amp to the equation as I (and many others here do) - the adjacent plug makes grasping the Vibe plug impossible. The plug needs to be either lengthened, or provided with a gripping surface (a poster, last month, demonstrated adding some shrink-wrap to the plug/cable area).
As to the medium-sized black tips - I would gladly buy a package of them, if I knew they would work for me - for testing, I have to buy a package of tips - doesn't it make more sense to get a fitting pkg from UE? My past experience with Ety has demonstrated their willingness to do what they can about fitting issues, without additional expenditure to the customer - a very client-friendly approach
smily_headphones1.gif
..........a friend in Tenn. ordered a pair of Red Roxx a few days before I ordered these online. He was informed that the Red Roxx were not available to him and pls choose something else, although it was posted here that inventory was still sufficient and the Apple agreement would not kick in until Februery.
Generally, I try to post with the reserve of an Englishman, but got ticked off. Maybe it's that N.Y. vs Caifornia mentality thing.........

Feb 5, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #614 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by OHPC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already tried to contact through the homepage (Contact option) but until now I have no response from anybody in V-Moda.

Yes, our customer service/orders team works M-F 9am-6pm Pacific Time, but please use the contact form and ticket system for any orders/support and they will respond within a few hours during working hours. Hope all is golden!

http://www.v-moda.com/our%20world/contact.aspx

Feb 5, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #615 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As to the medium-sized black tips - I would gladly buy a package of them -if I knew they would work for me - if, for testing, I have to buy a package of tips - doesn't make sense to get a pkg from UE? The future doesn't really count against what I have already purchased. My past experience with Ety has demonstrated their willingness to do what they can about fitting issues, without additional expenditure to the customer - a very client-friendly approach
smily_headphones1.gif
..........a friend in Tenn. ordered a pair of Red Roxx a few days before I ordered these online, and after I received these. He was informed that the Red Roxx were not available to him and pls choose something else, although it was posted here that inventory was still sufficient and the Apple agreement would not kick in until Februery.

The black medium fittings should be identical to clear mediums, just a different color, it is a cosmetic thing and I'm sure customer service would help you out >= other companies if you request something. Sorry about any Apple/Red confusion, but there are so many internal variables that change hourly, also when we launch a product worldwide (with limited stock) it exponentially increases logistics and availability variables...

NYC vs Cali - I know, thank god our engineers and some of our sales team are from NYC, they are really sticklers about every detail, our design/marketing/customer team is most definitely more chill, but very hard working
wink.gif
. I was in NYC last week, very good times and great to see the Apple store, MOMA, and some broadway plays.

Vibe in Macy's and Airports Zoom Vending Machines - Vibe will be in 125 macys stores soon in at least 3 colors, also it is already in about 20 airports. They will be in the "Zoom" electronic vending machines, if you haven't seen one yet they're pretty tricked out. It is essentially a electronics/iPod vending machine, very cool:

apple in store.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back