V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Jan 5, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #331 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by osu1277 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you are insinuating about infringement of COPYRIGHT issues, ie simply using his picture, then you are also wrong.
For graphics designers, or really anyone, it is 100 percent legal to take any copyrighted image and if you change the composition, the new image is not legally the same and thus can be reproduced.

(hmm - my first posting here, and it's a - hopefully mild - flame)

Actually that's not true. If you do that, you are creating a derivative work, for which you must have the original copyright owners permission.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.html#copyright

Of course the original copyright owner is probably thrilled to have you helping promote his product, so won't enforce his rights.

joan - neither a lawyer or even american.

Jan 5, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #332 of 1,475
After a flurry of research over the last two days, these are the headphones I'm going with. All the descriptions point very favorably to all the features I'm looking for, and at around $80 the price can't be beat.

I called Microcenter in town and they have gunmetal in stock, so I'll pick them up after work.

On a related noted, ever notice how a company's philosophy just seems to jive with how you approach things? That's definitely the case with V-Moda. Reading the posts by Valkoltron and scanning through their website, I think I'm totally the "target audience"...hehehe.

I'm a DJ in Kansas City (house music) and have played the major clubs/parties in town for about the last 5 years. Highlight had to be actually a gig out of town, when I played Ultra Music Fest 7 down in Miami during WMC week.

Valkoltron, if you happen to read this, here are a few of my favorite tracks I've been playing out lately:

-Your Mind (Paul Jackson Confessional) - Richard Dinsdale
-Rock to the Rhythm (Starkillers) - DJ Dan
-Spin the Bottle - Sucker DJs
-Perfect (Exceeder Vocal) - Mason vs. Princess Superstar
-Anglophonica - Far East Coast

Jan 5, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #333 of 1,475
I kind of want that all-black model, but a gunmetal pair is on its way here, and I can't wait.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #334 of 1,475
I've had my pair of V-Moda Vibes for a few weeks now and I've put in at least 30-40 hours of running time at mid-volume, and I'm really starting to wonder...

I read all these rave reviews about these headphones and I don't know if it's just me, but are the highs REALLY harsh or what?

The bass is sounding great, mid range sounds good, but the highs are just so pronounced and actually, at times, hard to listen to. I compared them to my pair of Shure E2c's as well as a pair of high end home theatre speakers, and the results are undeniable.

The highs are just really harsh. I can't describe it any other way.

I sent an email to v-moda support, did I get a bad pair?

any insight would be great!

Cheers.

Jan 5, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #335 of 1,475
I have a pair of these and I absolutely love them. That said the highs do seem off on certain songs, but I found that they only have poor sounding highs on low quality recordings or rips, but they aren't really harsh. That seems odd from what I've heard from mine.

Jan 5, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #337 of 1,475
Bob Loblaw - what is your source?

Ofcourse, on poor quality recordings the bass and highs can be rather whacky, as there is alot of missing information that the source inevitably attempts to reproduce. My computer's audio card also tends to be fatiguing, but that has nothing to do with the phone, so essentially its either the material being played back or the source. (faulty unit is possible, but so unlikely given how absurd Val's QC is)

Jan 5, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #338 of 1,475
I'm getting pretty close to ordering the Vibes for use with my iPod, but I have a few questions: How much, if any, microphonics does one experience from them? Also, how are they for car trips? That's where I do a LOT of my music listening, and if they aren't suited for it, I'll seriously reconsider buying them.

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #339 of 1,475
they are great in the car, but as mentioned before, not perfectly isolating. You will be aware that you are in a car, but you will hear the music perfectly fine.

microphonics - well they let themselves be known about when biking on a windy day, or if u start tapping on the headphone itself for no reason...no cable microphonics from my experience.

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #340 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aar0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm getting pretty close to ordering the Vibes for use with my iPod, but I have a few questions: How much, if any, microphonics does one experience from them? Also, how are they for car trips? That's where I do a LOT of my music listening, and if they aren't suited for it, I'll seriously reconsider buying them.

the v modas r so sexy. they sound very very very good BUT there is no iso at all. sound iso is comparable with that of the ex-51s...maybi a lil better but they don't block out sound all that well. if you use shure foamies iso will improve a little tho. there isn't any real noticable mircrophonics...even with the lack of iso, the sound quality is the sex. these headphones r sexy in every way. i will be getting them after i fix my UM2s and after i get DT770s? they r short on my to-buy list. xD

Jan 6, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #341 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to the Apple store in Lenox Mall (Atlanta, GA) and purchased a V-Moda in gun metal. Very happy with the sound so far and at $99 plus tax I think they compare very favorable with cans selling for up to $200 or so.

Are using the V-Moda with amplification, Miguel?

Jan 6, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #342 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob LobLaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had my pair of V-Moda Vibes for a few weeks now and I've put in at least 30-40 hours of running time at mid-volume, and I'm really starting to wonder...

I read all these rave reviews about these headphones and I don't know if it's just me, but are the highs REALLY harsh or what?

The bass is sounding great, mid range sounds good, but the highs are just so pronounced and actually, at times, hard to listen to. I compared them to my pair of Shure E2c's as well as a pair of high end home theatre speakers, and the results are undeniable.

The highs are just really harsh. I can't describe it any other way.

I sent an email to v-moda support, did I get a bad pair?

any insight would be great!

Cheers.

Bob LobLaw, while I don't find the absolute highs harsh per se, I have noticed that the Vibes aren't shy about revealing sibilance. Which is a shame, really, because that's my number one audio peeve and the issue that originally compelled me to upgrade from my CX300s. Is this at all a part of what you're talking about, or no? And, for that matter, how do others around here perceive the Vibes' sibilance-handling?

Jan 6, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #344 of 1,475
never noticed sibilance with my vibes. not even a hint of it but then most of the music i listen to is electronic ambient and downtempo, blues, folk-rock (cowboy junkies, jack johnson, tunstall, beth orton) and rock. i find jack johnson's stuff has the potential of sibilance on certain kit but have not heard it on the vibes.

Jan 6, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #345 of 1,475
piano jazz - u shouldn't use amplification with vibes. They won't benefit...tried already. They do benefit from sources like you won't believe though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back