V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Nov 26, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #91 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by TR909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, for the rep on here, the VIP card I received in the box points to a page on the website that doesn't exist. Any info on this?

Yeah, the card is useless right now. I tried it the night I got the Vibe's an no go. Forgot to mention it in my review. Glad you brought it up.

Something I find interesting is all the reviews are pretty much similar. Same basic strengths and weaknesses being brought out in the reviews. And excepting the pair sent to Ilounge, I haven't heard of any DOAs. Shows quality control is tight...

Ply

Nov 26, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #92 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by dansus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all. Having spotted these a month or so back and after reading the reviews, im chomping at the bit to get hold of 'em.

but im into bluetooth stereo at the moment and i was thinking of replacing the stock buds on my HBH-DS970 for the vibes.

i was wondering if anybody has an opinion on a) am i mad b) do you think the DS970 would be able drive the vibes effectively?

If not then i might integrate the DS970 into my penguin amp and run it of that.

blink.gif

Dansus, I'm clueless on the bluetooth thing. Sound like a perfect opportunity to take one for the team so to speak...
icon10.gif

Ply

Nov 26, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #94 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xennon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these earphones so sensitive?

Can they broke with a powerful mp3 player? Because www.v-moda.com says

"Rated Input Power: 2mW (5mW max)"

They won't be broken with loud volume or a "powerful mp3 player" unless you're playing them so loud it would make you deaf basically.

Regarding specs- The rated input power max and "frequency response range" is not linearly applicable to actual results in performance as the basic physics (materials, patterns on drivers, etc) and airflow of the headphone have more of an impact. The proof is in the sound curves/real-life results. The hollywood analogy is that you can't rate a movie based on the director, writer, genre, and actors - you have to watch it yourself, talk to friends, and trust your favorite critics
smily_headphones1.gif

We've played them with LOTS of bass for many hours at pretty loud volumes, and I have yet to blow out a driver (knock on wood).

A general rule for all speakers and headphones is to always rock at reasonable levels to preserve both your precious hearing and your gear.

Nov 26, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #95 of 1,475
VIP Card and Modcasts - we are fixing and I apologize for the delay in the modcasts/podcasts but we ran into legal licensing troubles (go figure). They will come online soon, I promise.

The podcasts are being held up by legal which is what is causing the delay still, we may have to do streaming temporarily until I finish sorting it all out with the major labels and RIAA (Soundexchange).

Nov 27, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #98 of 1,475
I just ordered a pair from the link on the Head-Fi page and look forward to comparing them with my E3Cs. Don't need the isolation and the need to get the fit just right (plus for $101, if I don't like them, one of my kids probably will.)
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #99 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beweglich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any comparison to d-jays, because i'm thinking about the j-jays and I sure they are moderately similar to the d-jays?

I own the D-jays too, and for me there was no comparison in sound quality, Vibe's all the way. GlendaleViper rated them about the same in his review. I would describe the D-jays sound signature like a small hill, rolled off hi's and low's with emphasized mids. However the D-jays are extremely small and comfortable...

Ply

Nov 27, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #100 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beweglich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any comparison to d-jays, because i'm thinking about the j-jays and I sure they are moderately similar to the d-jays?

j-JAYS fits in the category with Sennheiser CX-300, SHURE E2C and so on. They have with a flat EQ more bassresponse which many prefer. The d-JAYS is better overall balanced with better mids and highs.
The d-JAYS is new on the market but have already got really good reviews in media.

Nov 27, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #101 of 1,475
Hi!
I read some reviews for the Vibe and decided to give them a try as a start into IEMs / canal phones.

Any news about where to get them in Germany? Or should I order at the V-Moda shop directly?

Nov 27, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #102 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heck, you could test that out with a pair of ER20 earplugs... no need to spend money on IEMs in that case if you just want to know if they will bug you or not.

Heck, you could test that out with a pair of fingers in your ears... no need to spend any money whatsoever on what are overpriced earplugs.

Mind you there's a big difference between something that makes no noise and something that does make a noise and I know from experience that some people absolutely detest IEM's no matter how good they sound, so the suggestion to buy cheap and test the field is valid.

Nov 27, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #103 of 1,475
Consumers should be aware there are many different types of IEMs - which adds to the confusion. I personally feel many (not all mind you) of the other "hi-end" brands fit more uncomfortably than many of the low-mid priced models since they traditionally aim to add more isolation at the expense of comfort.

V-MODA's Vibe and Bass Freq, like the Sony EX71, CX300, etc are "canalbud type" meaning they use a soft silicone fitting that is quick to take off and put on. Even every silicone fitting has its unique properties though, as we try lots of different thicknesses/hardness to provide the optimal sound/comfort level. Personally, I feel these type are "just right" for everyday use and isolation.

Some other models are "deep in-ear canal" which sit deeper in the ear and sometimes take a little more time to put on/take off as people have mentioned. These can also be found in "bi/tri-flanges", and "foam" configurations. These can offer more isolation, but often at the expense of comfort.

And of course there is everything in between too, just know every earphone and fitting has its own characteristics.

We DO plan on offering a kit soon with some different fittings in the near future for the "enthusiast" users who wish to experiment - but personally still am sticking to the normal silicone fittings.

Nov 27, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #104 of 1,475
Just got my Superfi 5pro back and tried the tips on the Vibe. Wow. They fit like they were made for the Vibe, even the foamies and biflanges.

I have around 40 tips from just about every manufacturer out there and the Ue medium tips fit the best. I was using the tips from my D-jays, but I found that after a while the would slowly creep out of my ears. Had the same problem with the stock tips. The UE tips seem to be staying put though...

Ply

Nov 27, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #105 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by plywood99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my Superfi 5pro back and tried the tips on the Vibe. Wow. They fit like they were made for the Vibe, even the foamies and biflanges.

I have around 40 tips from just about every manufacturer out there and the Ue medium tips fit the best. I was using the tips from my D-jays, but I found that after a while the would slowly creep out of my ears. Had the same problem with the stock tips. The UE tips seem to be staying put though...

Ply

Of course it can also go the other way around - I'm quite partial to medium v-mode tips on my 5pro's and my ears reckon thats the best option... head-fi'ers know that ears can be vewy vewy picky
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back