V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Nov 21, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #76 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone recommend an IEM that has bass that literally smacks you up side your head?
basshead.gif
I don't want muddy sound, but I want to actually feel the double bass drum.

Try the Super-Fi 5EBs from Ultimate Ears. You'll be smacked alright....
rs1smile.gif

Nov 21, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #78 of 1,475
Morpheus, I don't own, nor have I listened to the e500. So I honestly can't say. But when it comes to iems, I think you may want to start at a smaller price scale to see if they are comfortable. Some folks just hate things in their ears and therefor hate iems. Do you have a friend with iems that would loan em to you for a while, you know, to see if you would like wearing them or not???

Ply

Nov 21, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #80 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by morpheus6d9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ply funny you said that i borrowed my friends e2's and they felt fine i just want a good set of iem's

Might as well go for a set of customs then. I mean if you want to jump straight to the top of the food chain, customs are the way to go. And from the posts around here, it seems like that's where a lot of people end up anyway.

Nov 21, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #81 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by plywood99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Morpheus, I don't own, nor have I listened to the e500. So I honestly can't say. But when it comes to iems, I think you may want to start at a smaller price scale to see if they are comfortable. Some folks just hate things in their ears and therefor hate iems. Do you have a friend with iems that would loan em to you for a while, you know, to see if you would like wearing them or not???

Ply

Heck, you could test that out with a pair of ER20 earplugs... no need to spend money on IEMs in that case if you just want to know if they will bug you or not.

Nov 22, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #83 of 1,475
thought i would give these a try as well. i'll be able to offer a direct comparison to E4s if anyone is interested. should have mine either saturday or monday. i'll also take them with me on my trip to chicago to see how they do on the plane. hope to try them out with another new toy coming my way - cowon's f2.

Nov 22, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #84 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Nico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chanthing,

I seem to have tried every major IEM you can mention in aircraft cabins,

The exceptions are some of the real hyper-isolating phones like the ER6i

LOL. All the major ones except ER-4S. Sure.... those things are the same to better than active, so no game.

Nov 26, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #87 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by jodychili /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review plywood - how do people think they fit with the cable, do they NEED to be around the ear?

No, they can be worn both ways. I like the over ear method better though for microphonics and if I snag the wire on something they will not yank out of my ear as easily. Also for my ears I can insert the Vibe's farther when looping cable over my ears...

Ply

Nov 26, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #88 of 1,475
received my vibes yesterday (saturday). if you want to just "hear" my quick take on the SQ and the comfort:

i lost myself for over an hour listening to a range of music - gabriel, brmc, yo yo ma, tunstall, sonny landreth, derek trucks band. loved every minute of it - uh... except for the 5 minute or so nap i took during. (hence their comfort factor.)

for the longer version:

first off, i ordered these from microphonesolutions.com who is associated with our sponsor earphonesolutions.com via fmasolutions.com. they are in florida and the guy i talked with was really nice and made the ordering process a pleasant experience. on top of that, i ordered them on wednesday and had them on saturday (i'm in new york) with free shipping. very cool.

i got the gunmetal pair and these things are really nice looking and solidly built. they are tiny yet the diameter of the sound tube is relatively huge compared to my shures. one detail i am already a big fan of - how the ear tips slip on. there is a recess that they rest in. i think this is a great idea because one of the problems i have with my E4s is that i get such a good seal that when i take them out the ear tips slip off the sound chamber - annoying.

as stated, you get a number of ear tips but no foam. their ear tips are very soft and pliable and i found the small size to suit me fine. i find them very comfortable to wear but this typically hasn't been an issue with me with my prior 2 sets of shures.

i kicked off a playlist of 21 songs. the thing that first struck me was the warmth of the sound. i'm a midrange guy first, bass second. i certainly agree wholeheartedly that these IEMs are very musical. the second thing that struck me is that with the reported soundstage they sound very much like headphones. it is almost a strange sensation at first because of my prior experience with IEMs. as for the bass? perfect for me. i'm not a major basshead but i enjoy a colored sound with elevated bass as long as it is in a controlled manner. the vibes do a wonderful job with the bass. the highs are a bit rolled off but i tend to be pretty sensitive to treble so this suits me fine. if you are looking for highs a la DT880s - look elsewhere.

compared to my E4s, the vibes provide a much warmer sound and one that i prefer when it comes to IEMs. the highs aren't as well represented and there is a touch less clarity overall but their fun factor far outweighs these SLIGHT shortcomings. and that is how i summarize the vibes - fun. they remind me of my DR150s - slightly elevated but controlled bass, terrific midrange and rolled off highs. all with a bit of soundstage to boot.

i also found, as previously posted, that even with a good seal the vibes don't offer as much sound isolation as my shures. i like this in that just pausing my music i find i can carry on a conversation at normal speaking levels without having to take them out. but even with my wife's XM going at a decent volume i barely hear it at very reasonable volume levels.

these are definite keepers!
icon10.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #89 of 1,475
just wanted to add my 2 kroners....

I picked up the vibes yesterday in Virgin on broadway. The guy working the headphones area didn't even know they had them and was shocked to see them in the display case. I guess I was the first to pick them up there. Semi-humourous and food-for-thought: The cashier rang me up, paused, and said, "You DO know these are $100 right?". Ahh, such is the head-fi sickness that $100 headphones are an afterthought and the minimum price of admission these days
etysmile.gif

After my second pair of UM1s conked out on me I vowed to cap my iem budget at $100. I'm on the go a lot and hurriedly pulling out and inserting iem's on the subway, planes, etc and I don't feel I can treat shure e500's well enough so damaging a cheaper pair won't be as traumatic for me. Already I hear much better separation on the vibe's as well as more refined and extended treble. The bass seems tuneful and did improve with the addition of my Go-Vibe V5. What strikes me the most, however is the soundstage. While obviously not as spacious and grand as my 650's, they possess a sound that is so much airier than all other iem's I've tried. They really do sound closer to full-size headphones than iem's and I love that. Hope to report more once they've had more burn-in. Caveats are that they isolate nowhere near as well as my UM1's and it remains to be seen how good the cord is. I don't notice microphonics, but i do wear them over the ear. If they had the westone braided cable and foamies they'd be perfect.

Also, for the rep on here, the VIP card I received in the box points to a page on the website that doesn't exist. Any info on this?

Nov 26, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #90 of 1,475
Hi all. Having spotted these a month or so back and after reading the reviews, im chomping at the bit to get hold of 'em.

but im into bluetooth stereo at the moment and i was thinking of replacing the stock buds on my HBH-DS970 for the vibes.

i was wondering if anybody has an opinion on a) am i mad b) do you think the DS970 would be able drive the vibes effectively?

If not then i might integrate the DS970 into my penguin amp and run it of that.

blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back