V-MODA VAMP VERZA/METALLO: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Crowdsourcing Ideas
Mar 23, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #331 of 1,343
Quote:
What is the Verza (and Vamp) like on low gain. I like low gain more because it has more detail.

The volume difference is noticeable, but not dramatic.  You make a good point about greater detail with low gain as a general rule.   I am actually switching over to low gain now since there is still more than enough power available than I need.

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #332 of 1,343
Quote:
I have been listening to Verza for about 5 hours now, A/Bing with Vamp, M-100 and Ultrasone Signature DJ.  I am holding Verza in my hand listening to every genre and just being amazed.  I am also confused by something that is actually a plus for Verza and wondering if anyone can answer what may or may not be a techinical question:

Vamp is 150mw/channel.  For higher volume listening, I have Vamp at 90% of top volume.  With lower level recordings, like old CD transfers, I can listen at full volume.  With Verza, I was concerned I would have the same issue.  Happily, this is not the case.  The highest volume on Verza I can listen to comfortably is about 60%, yet output to my Iphone is only 130mw/channel.  I have both set on high gain.  Why would Verza drive the same headphones to much higher volume than Vamp when they have comparable power?

If I never purchased Vamp and paid full price for Verza with no upgrade, I would be highly satisfied with my purchase.  There are other products that offer elements of what Verza does, but nothing that does everything Verza does.  I am also loving the bass boost on Verza and do feel the overall SQ is even better than Vamp which is excellent.  I believe this may relate to Verza being voiced with the M-100 and Verza compensating somewhat for the laid back mids of the M-100 as vocals present slightly more forward.  I also want everyone to be aware Verza has PLENTY of power.

Glad to hear you're not having the same issue with your Verza!  I get the feeling something was wrong with your Vamp.  I will know shortly, as I will have a Verza on hand to compare.  My Vamp get's VERY loud, even on low gain.  

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #333 of 1,343
To each his ears. I have noticed that the M-100 is a little more sensitive to its source than the M-80 is. I usually listen using my cMoy for both headphones whether it's through my phone or laptop and I notice that the M-100's sound changes more drastically between devices. On my Galaxy Note, which has a Yamaha DAC, the M-100 sounds thin, has less bass and is overall kind of lifeless. Through my Infuse 4G, which has a Wolfson DAC, the sound is more robust and engaging throughout the spectrum while soundstage and spatial position of instruments, which sound flat on the Galaxy Note, take on a more three-dimensional effect. On the other hand, the M-80 sounds virtually the same through both devices except for a tiny bass boost through the Infuse 4G that is easily compensated for on the Note by increasing the volume a notch. If there any sonic differences between my sources they aren't picked up by the M-80.

May I ask you what kind of source and file types you're using?

I use an ipod touch 5g as source with aac 256k / alac files. I also tested both M-80 and M-100 with an international Galaxy S3 (i9300) with Wolfson DAC using flac files, but the better result in terms of clarity and detail is obtained with the ipod (even if they are very close).
Usually I listen at 1/3 ipod max volume for M-80, a bit more for M-100 to match M-80 volume,...

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #334 of 1,343
The difference between VBR and CBR at 320 are very thin. You won't be able to notice it, if you didn't try really hard to catch it.

You shouldn't hear any difference in sound quality between 320 VBR and 320 CBR. The advantage of VBR is that it usually creates smaller files, because it doesn't maintain the very high bit rate where it isn't needed (such as in low complexity music passages).

Anyone who thinks they can hear a difference between 320 VBR and 320 CBR should try prove it to themselves using the ABX blind testing plug-in for Foobar2000.

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #335 of 1,343
Quote:
Vamp is 150mw/channel.  For higher volume listening, I have Vamp at 90% of top volume.  With lower level recordings, like old CD transfers, I can listen at full volume.  With Verza, I was concerned I would have the same issue.  Happily, this is not the case.  The highest volume on Verza I can listen to comfortably is about 60%, yet output to my Iphone is only 130mw/channel.  I have both set on high gain.  Why would Verza drive the same headphones to much higher volume than Vamp when they have comparable power?

I am not sure about this one either as I noticed the same thing with my VERZA vs. my VAMP at the same dial setting at low gain.  To further complicate the issue, you can use the VERZA with iDevices with the USB-DAC mode at 150mw/channel and makes it even louder.  But again, I do think something is not right about your VAMP as there should be no reason to have it at 90% on high gain, unless your source files were mastered at VERY LOW volume...

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #336 of 1,343
i'm stlll using vamp now and pairing up with my ipod nano 6 and my ipod nano 5.

i will not considering to purchase vamp verza at this moment

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #337 of 1,343
I am still a/b testing with my iphone 5 and still struggling to hear a difference. Sometimes I think I can hear it others not. One thing I do like is the bass boost vs using my zo1. The zo adds some coloration.

Is it me or does the metallo case have the headphone port covered?

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #338 of 1,343
Quote:

You shouldn't hear any difference in sound quality between 320 VBR and 320 CBR. The advantage of VBR is that it usually creates smaller files, because it doesn't maintain the very high bit rate where it isn't needed (such as in low complexity music passages).

Anyone who thinks they can hear a difference between 320 VBR and 320 CBR should try prove it to themselves using the ABX blind testing plug-in for Foobar2000.

I would agree with this for the most part.  I just can't stand the principle of VBR.  Why not just use CBR?  The size difference is negligible.  This may be somewhat irrational, but this entire forum is based on the irrational behaviors of audiophiles, right? 

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #339 of 1,343
Quote:
Is it me or does the metallo case have the headphone port covered?

I don't believe so.  Remember the iPhone 5 has the HP port on the bottom.  TBH though, I have not seen a picture of the bottom of the iPhone 5 Metallo case.  Given that the GS3 case has an opening for the HP port though, you can safely assume that the same exists for iPhone 5.

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #341 of 1,343
Quote:
I am not sure about this one either as I noticed the same thing with my VERZA vs. my VAMP at the same dial setting at low gain.  To further complicate the issue, you can use the VERZA with iDevices with the USB-DAC mode at 150mw/channel and makes it even louder.  But again, I do think something is not right about your VAMP as there should be no reason to have it at 90% on high gain, unless your source files were mastered at VERY LOW volume...

So you do hear significantly louder volume produced by Verza vs Vamp, like 30% more as I do?  If that is the case, it would be great if Val could provide a technical explanation how he was able to generate much higher volumes using comparable power while maintaining SQ.

I also wonder if there was a bad batch of Vamps as I read some comments on other threads where some stated they couldn't tell the difference between Vamp and volume direct from their Iphone.

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #342 of 1,343

I would agree with this for the most part.  I just can't stand the principle of VBR.  Why not just use CBR?  The size difference is negligible.  This may be somewhat irrational, but this entire forum is based on the irrational behaviors of audiophiles, right? 

Meh, 256 kbps is good enough for me. There is no point in using 320 kbps if I can't tell the difference between 256 kbps VBR MP3 and CD-quality FLAC. The Foobar test I did is on my YouTube channel but I'm using a mobile device at the moment and it's more trouble than it's worth.
www.youtube.com/miceblue425

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #343 of 1,343
Quote:
Meh, 256 kbps is good enough for me. There is no point in using 320 kbps if I can't tell the difference between 256 kbps VBR MP3 and CD-quality FLAC. The Foobar test I did is on my YouTube channel but I'm using a mobile device at the moment and it's more trouble than it's worth.
www.youtube.com/miceblue425

+1 law of diminishing returns, especially when considering valuable storage space for portable use.

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #344 of 1,343
Quote:
So you do hear significantly louder volume produced by Verza vs Vamp, like 30% more as I do?  If that is the case, it would be great if Val could provide a technical explanation how he was able to generate much higher volumes using comparable power while maintaining SQ.

I also wonder if there was a bad batch of Vamps as I read some comments on other threads where some stated they couldn't tell the difference between Vamp and volume direct from their Iphone.

Conversely one of The Amazon reviews on VAMP said he sent it back to Amazon because he couldn't get the volume to go low enough to not hurt his ears.

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #345 of 1,343
Quote:

I think the two AMP differently but definitely not a 30% difference, and mine has some hissing issue plus in need of the firmware update.  I will test it again once my VAMP is back from RMA (again).  I do suggest to have your VAMP RMA back to V-MODA for a check up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back