V-MODA VAMP VERZA/METALLO: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Crowdsourcing Ideas
May 16, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #1,231 of 1,343
  Thank you very much indeed, brilliant! On (i) I have headphones of around 30 ohms, any guidance on hi/lo?

Use low gain for 30 ohms headphones.

May 16, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #1,234 of 1,343
With the lo vs hi gain... Try the lo first, raise up the volume, and if it's too weak at full volume, then change to hi. Just make sure to only change gains when the VV is off.

May 17, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #1,236 of 1,343
Thinking of getting one of these. When it comes to ipods is it only compatible eith ipod classic 6th gen or 7th gen as well?

May 17, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #1,237 of 1,343
Thinking of getting one of these. When it comes to ipods is it only compatible eith ipod classic 6th gen or 7th gen as well?

V-MODA VAMP VERZA Device Compatibility
Mac (OS X v10.5 Leopard or later)
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5
iPhone 5s
iPhone 5c
iPod Classic 160gb (2009)
iPod Touch 4th generation
iPod Nano 6th generation
iPad 1st generation
iPad 2
iPad 3rd generation
iPad 4th generation
iPad Mini 

May 17, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #1,238 of 1,343

V-MODA VAMP VERZA Device Compatibility
Mac (OS X v10.5 Leopard or later)
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5
iPhone 5s
iPhone 5c
iPod Classic 160gb (2009)
iPod Touch 4th generation
iPod Nano 6th generation
iPad 1st generation
iPad 2
iPad 3rd generation
iPad 4th generation
iPad Mini 

Thanks. Pardon my noobness on this, but why isn't the 7th gen supported as well? What changed between the 6th and 7th?

I placed an order for a 7th Gen yesterday, but only made up my mind today that I'd like a Verza, so have ordered a 6th gen too. I'll have to refuse delivery of the 7th gen.

May 17, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #1,239 of 1,343

Thanks. Pardon my noobness on this, but why isn't the 7th gen supported as well? What changed between the 6th and 7th?

I placed an order for a 7th Gen yesterday, but only made up my mind today that I'd like a Verza, so have ordered a 6th gen too. I'll have to refuse delivery of the 7th gen.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...

iPod Classic 6th generation Revisions 1 and 2

During the 'Let's Rock' Apple Event on September 9, 2008, the 80 GB and the thicker 160 GB model were discontinued in favor of a thin 120 GB version retailing for US$249. It introduced Genius and audio recording capabilities which are also available in other iPod models released at similar times; no firmware update provides either feature to the first generation iPods.

Prior to the 'It's Only Rock and Roll' event on September 9, 2009, the price of the 120 GB version was dropped to US$229. During the event Apple re-introduced the 6th generation 160 GB only model with the same slim profile as the 120 GB version, retailing at US$249. The 120 GB model has now been dropped and the 6th generation 160 GB is the only remaining iPod Classic.

According to speculation by Wired Magazine, the current 6th generation is, as of 2013, expected to be the final form of the iPod Classic that helped Apple achieve its success in the 2000s.  The Apple Worldwide Developers Conference in 2013 revealed no new iPod Classic and Apple is not expected to produce another one. The iPod Classic, however, still remains in production. The 6th generation iPod Classic Revision 2 is commonly called the "7th generation" on online retailers.

May 17, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #1,240 of 1,343
thanks thx1000 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #1,241 of 1,343
As far as I know the 7th gen works too. I have both but never really tested them.

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #1,242 of 1,343
Just bought a brand new one off ebay for $325.

Should arrive within the next week. Unfortunately, it's in the white/orange color, which although doesn't look bad, is going to clash horribly on my desk! [Anyone wanna trade?!]
etysmile.gif
I'm a bit worried about the 2200mAh battery which seems fairly small for a device that's not only supposed to act as a dac/amp but charge your device. I can't honestly imagine it lasting for more than several hours. They should've really done closer to 3000mAh.

But oh well, I don't even have it yet, so I have no idea.

Also, iPhone 6 is supposed to come in ~November, so that'll make the Metallo case kind of useless. (Iphone 6 will be same shape as ipod 5, but at a smaller and larger size)

Did find a used one on amazon for $275 in the color I wanted, but I really preferred to just have mine brand new. (Considering the guy said he used it very frequently for 6 months)

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #1,243 of 1,343
So finally received my Verza over the weekend. Only got round to using it today with my iPod classic and WOW!!!

Played he first two Hybrid albums back to back to 'break it in'. Using my Westone 4R and the first thing I noticed was how much the bass tightened up. Vocals sound as clear as ever too.

What I most impressed with though were the orchestral segments. They sound more lively and it's almost as if you sat right in the middle of an orchestra.

So far I'm loving my purchase and can't wait to hook up my M100.

I do have one issue though. I am using the supplied USB - 30 pin connector with my ipod classic. I have the verza set to iAmp and Vamp. The ipod battery seems to be draining a lot quicker than usual today. I would have thought I would be getting even more out the ipod battery as I am bypassing the DAC right?

Any ideas?

Jun 9, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #1,244 of 1,343
So finally received my Verza over the weekend. Only got round to using it today with my iPod classic and WOW!!!

Played he first two Hybrid albums back to back to 'break it in'. Using my Westone 4R and the first thing I noticed was how much the bass tightened up. Vocals sound as clear as ever too.

What I most impressed with though were the orchestral segments. They sound more lively and it's almost as if you sat right in the middle of an orchestra.

So far I'm loving my purchase and can't wait to hook up my M100.

I do have one issue though. I am using the supplied USB - 30 pin connector with my ipod classic. I have the verza set to iAmp and Vamp. The ipod battery seems to be draining a lot quicker than usual today. I would have thought I would be getting even more out the ipod battery as I am bypassing the DAC right?

Any ideas?

Hey there, sorry to say but since you're using an L9 cable (30-pin to usb) you're not actually bypassing the internal dac of the iPod classic, only the internal amp. That probably has a lot to do with it.

+1 for lightning cables there.

Anyway, I just received mine today, and it wasn't really "new" as listed, the bags were unopened, but for some reason it also included the Tuono Cable. I had already bought a custom connector, so it's not really of any use to me.

Overall impressions are nice, the bass boost toggle is a little odd to use, and it doesn't work while using the android/pc dac. The main plus for me is the noise floor is so low compared to that of the E18, and the bass boost toggle works as it should (no audible tones)

I've yet to test the 3D toggle on a stereo system, but I'm not really expecting anything magical.

Only other thing that stood out to mew as how fast the battery drains on it, it may not have been at full charge, but while charging your ipod + use as a dac, it depletes fairly quickly. That's the only thing I wish they had followed Fiio on.

For reference, it uses a 2200mAh battery and the Fiio E18 uses a 3500mAh battery. So the E18 can easily last for an extra 2 hours of solid charging + playback.

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #1,245 of 1,343
Now I'm confused. The main reason I bought the Verza was because I understood that it would bypass the iPods internal dac. The following thread actually convinced me to finally pull the trigger and buy one.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/678765/ipods-and-external-dacs#post_9762986

This post says that the external dac will be used as the verza is MFI certified and I am using 30 pin to USB.

Is this not the case?

All that said, The verza has definitely made a significant difference. I'd just like to know if the internal dac is actually bypassed.

EDIT: whether the dac is being used or not though, this still doesn't explain why the ipod battery is draining a lot faster when connected to verza. Has anybody else noticed this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back