V-MODA Shield Design Discussion
Mar 3, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #422 of 1,269

beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #424 of 1,269
How do you guys think this would turn out? Also, i set the DPI to 300 but it put the image size at around 5.5MB( larger than the 3mb maximum on the site) I dropped it 250 DPI and it was just under the 3MB mark. Can i e-mail the higher res version so that they can use that one instead?

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #425 of 1,269
Quote:
How do you guys think this would turn out? Also, i set the DPI to 300 but it put the image size at around 5.5MB( larger than the 3mb maximum on the site) I dropped it 250 DPI and it was just under the 3MB mark. Can i e-mail the higher res version so that they can use that one instead?

Personal opinion alert!!! I feel like designs with small-sized words with lots of letters embedded within a line would be hard to see unless you are holding them in your hand. Whether that matters to you, I don't know, but I would suggest that if you send them that design to explicitly say that you want it to be as large as possible or exactly how you positioned it within the shield frame. I've heard some people saying that their designs were shrunken a bit and with a design containing so many small letters, you would want to make it as big as possible. For example miceblue's shield design contained some Chinese characters within a heart, and honestly, I thought they were just squiggly lines until I saw a close-up shot.

Also, I think you should try to disconnect the "#GU" from the outside circle for a cleaner look.

Finally, remember that they laser white onto whatever shield color you pick. I'm assuming that the black lines in your designs is what you want them to laser, so that would make the color scheme inverse if you pick black shields.

These are just personal opinions and suggestions, so please don't get mad :) have fun designing your design

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #426 of 1,269
Nice Hyrule headphones! Looks great on your M-100's, and those skull M-100 shields loke pretty sick IMO. Yeaah, they have been pretty loose with stuff all in all, V-MODA's a bro like that? xD I like your idea with the hashtag there, I dunno about the little details around the edges(the words), but I dunno, if you wont to use it as that's the official seal of something, someone might recognise it as it's unchanged? It's a pretty bold aesthetic.

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #427 of 1,269
Quote:

Personal opinion alert!!! I feel like designs with small-sized words with lots of letters embedded within a line would be hard to see unless you are holding them in your hand. Whether that matters to you, I don't know, but I would suggest that if you send them that design to explicitly say that you want it to be as large as possible or exactly how you positioned it within the shield frame. I've heard some people saying that their designs were shrunken a bit and with a design containing so many small letters, you would want to make it as big as possible. For example miceblue's shield design contained some Chinese characters within a heart, and honestly, I thought they were just squiggly lines until I saw a close-up shot.

Also, I think you should try to disconnect the "#GU" from the outside circle for a cleaner look.

Finally, remember that they laser white onto whatever shield color you pick. I'm assuming that the black lines in your designs is what you want them to laser, so that would make the color scheme inverse if you pick black shields.

These are just personal opinions and suggestions, so please don't get mad :) have fun designing your design

I'm not mad at all. In fact, i appreciate your criticisms. I want these to look great so i do appreciate your help. Do you think that maybe putting a little more space in between each letter and make the words come more around the circle you help out? If nothing else, i could get my friend that made it remove the words entirely and just go with the "#GU" after disconnecting it from the inner circle. Leaving the words would be preferable though.

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #428 of 1,269
Quote:

I'm not mad at all. In fact, i appreciate your criticisms. I want these to look great so i do appreciate your help. Do you think that maybe putting a little more space in between each letter and make the words come more around the circle you help out? If nothing else, i could get my friend that made it remove the words entirely and just go with the "#GU" after disconnecting it from the inner circle. Leaving the words would be preferable though.

299773_10151557654963092_1034730872_n.jpg

I do not own this image. From V-Moda FB page, the Skumfrog's design. https://www.facebook.com/VMODA

This is a semi-similar layout of a design. As you can see here, it just seems like it would be very hard to make the outside circle line thick enough to fit words that are actually legible inside the line while having the "#GU" at your current proportions. This is already a super close-up shot. You will need to make that line really bold & #GU smaller I think (maybe make the # smaller than the GU so it's a bit more centered).

If you want to make a letter/word based design, I think you should scroll through the v-moda facebook page & check out other people's designs. In my personal opinion, I feel like for word designs, it looks best if the word isn't too long. I think that a lot of the short words like DJ names that are simply done artistically or surrounded by cool visual design elements look the best. I just think that the whole package of "Society for Science Education + #GU + Grand Unified Theory" seems to be a lot of letters to fit in that small area, even if you simply wrote it out all the words just one on top of the other. If you don't mind not really being able to read the words in the line, that's fine. I just think it may look kinda cluttered.

Anyways, I am not a graphic design artist or anything so basically this is simply the opinion of a random dude on the internet hahaha.

Hope these comments are helpful & good luck making your design.

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #429 of 1,269
So I'm coming up with my shield design on Paint and there it is: but
I was wondering if this was good enough for VMODA to work with.  I don't know what it means when they ask me to upload the image at 300 dots per inch even after wikipedia-ing it.  Wanna help a brother out?

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #430 of 1,269
Quote:
So I'm coming up with my shield design on Paint and there it is: but
I was wondering if this was good enough for VMODA to work with.  I don't know what it means when they ask me to upload the image at 300 dots per inch even after wikipedia-ing it.  Wanna help a brother out?

lol are you chinese/taiwanese/asian? just curious why did you choose to write Saturn in chinese?

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #434 of 1,269
Quote:
Saturn is my favorite planet and it contained more of the aesthetic I was looking for versus the astro. symbol.

Pluto is my favorite planet & no matter what the scientists say, it will always be a planet to meee! =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back