V-MODA M100 good for gaming?
Feb 16, 2013 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

darthdader

New Head-Fier
I am thinking about buying V-MODA M100's.  Is it possible to make them compatible with xbox 360 with an astro mixamp or something of that sort.  Also is the Boom Pro Mic for m100s compatible for xbox or just pc.

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 7
Hi there!

To answer your question, yes it is possible to make the M100's compatible with the xbox 360 as well as the astro mixamp simultaneously. Also, I believe you can make the Boompro Mic work through the mixamp to the 360 as well but it's hard to get your hands onto the Boompro Mic.

Having said that, I would not recommend the M100s for gaming. You'd be wasting your money to use such audiophile oriented headphones for gaming. If you intend to use them for music too, then that's understandable. However, have you considered the M80s? They offer similar sound signature, are smaller for portability and are cheaper. Bear in mind, using the astro mixamp as a middle man can degrade sound quality as well as creating a very confusing setup.

My personal suggestion for gaming would be the Razer Chimaera. It offers wireless connectivity and 5.1 virtual surround sound. It has a mic built in and uses the optical audio out port of your xbox 360 and thus frees up a usb port. All for less than half the total price of the m100 + astro mixamp.

Hope that helps and happy listening! 
beyersmile.png

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
V Moda makes consumer headphones that are made mainly for bass. The M80 is a little lighter on bass compared to the m100 but neither are audophile quality neither good for gaming. You want soundstage and a fair bass response for gaming, i use my k701 for gaming they are perfect and make it seem like there is a world around you instead of it being in your head. playing red dead redemtion hearing the owls tooting at a distance really shows off the soundstage for me i love it. look into something with a better soundstage like the dt770  d2000 ad700

Disagree, the M80s at least are audiophile quality, in fact V-Moda intended for them to be targeted towards the audiophile community, and they did a very good job may I add.

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 7
The reason I was asking this was because my turtle beaches (for gaming) recently broke and i'v been thinking about buying m100's for awhile because I listen to lots of dubstep/drum and bass.  So I am a bit of a bass head but still want good overall sound quality just a lot of emphasis on bass, and I needed new headphone's for gaming and I thought "why not kill 2 birds with one stone?"

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 7
Honestly, my understanding of most gaming audio is trying to get a good headphone for it is trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Even in Counter-Strike:GO, which is a game that implements sound as a critical part of the game, is not only glitchy, but is also poor in it's directional cues. For directional sound, there's either Dolby Digital Headphone, which creates 5 or  7 virtual speakers on a single plane, or the Creative 3D sound. Which is real binaural 3d sound. But on consoles, games are setup to be equal to the lowest common denominator, I.E. CoD removing footsteps because they give an advantage to people using headphones rather than speakers.

But, afaik, headphone soundstage is a mental illusion without some kind of special software(DDH, C3D), or binaural recording. Otherwise all you hear is stereo sound like if you had plain speakers in front. Comfort and mid-treble emphasis is more important.

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 7
Lol I recently purchased the M100 just to try out (still trying to decide whether to keep em or not) & I was thinking about doing something similar, getting the boom mic & astro mixamp. boom mic should be released in the next two weeks or so. might not be the best/most cost efficient option, but i really like the vmodas for some reason. solid customer service & 60 test trial run if you are interested.

if it gives you any comfort, I tested them against the Turtle Beach Earforce XP500, and the sound quality of the V-moda M100 were a lot better for music. I really want to get an astro mixamp to get surround sound to test out the V-moda for gaming too! lol.

Turtle Beach is releasing the 7 Series soon which is kinda cool, and I want to try them out.

I feel like with these forums you get a lot of fanboys & haters, it's hard to really know what's the best setup for you unless you try it out yourself! :) good luck & happy headphone hunting heh

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
V Moda makes consumer headphones that are made mainly for bass. The M80 is a little lighter on bass compared to the m100 but neither are audophile quality neither good for gaming. You want soundstage and a fair bass response for gaming, i use my k701 for gaming they are perfect and make it seem like there is a world around you instead of it being in your head. playing red dead redemtion hearing the owls tooting at a distance really shows off the soundstage for me i love it. look into something with a better soundstage like the dt770  d2000 ad700

I really want to try out the K701, dt770, d200, and ad700, but I didn't end up getting them because either they were open (so can't really use in the library), or the form factor was too bulky for portable use. But man, if only I had unlimited cash & free time, I would sit around testing different headphones all day hahah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back