V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 27, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #17,311 of 23,366
Yes. Long story short, I believe it is fair to say that the comfort benefits of the XL pads are far more significant and outweigh any perceived sonic changes. 

The bass still blows away Momentum, MDR-1R, P5, D600, etc.

Totally agreed !!!

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #17,312 of 23,366
Hi guys,

I wanted to ask two things.

1) I really like this logo http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jDkEBLg9Wj0/UJ54G_pXK4I/AAAAAAAAB74/H9B2QETjtCo/s500/EDD_4993.jpg . Do you know if it's possible download the logo template somewhere?

2) And I wanted to ask you if anyone here uses V-Moda M100 in balanced mode (4 Pin XLR or 3 Pin XLR connector). I never hear about these headphones in balanced mode. Is there a reason?

Doing a balanced mode on a headphone is pointless in my opinon. To those who have done it, they just wasted money and effort in doing so.

Oct 28, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #17,313 of 23,366
Hi guys,

1) I really like this logo http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jDkEBLg9Wj0/UJ54G_pXK4I/AAAAAAAAB74/H9B2QETjtCo/s500/EDD_4993.jpg . Do you know if it's possible download the logo template somewhere?

2) And I wanted to ask you if anyone here uses V-Moda M100 in balanced mode (4 Pin XLR or 3 Pin XLR connector). I never hear about these headphones in balanced mode. Is there a reason?

If you look through the thread pictures, you will find the original poster of that picture somewhere. The guy who made it is in the thread so you can ask him.

Also, why would you balance portables? What a waste of money.

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #17,314 of 23,366

Doing a balanced mode on a headphone is pointless in my opinon. To those who have done it, they just wasted money and effort in doing so.

If you look through the thread pictures, you will find the original poster of that picture somewhere. The guy who made it is in the thread so you can ask him.

Also, why would you balance portables? What a waste of money.

I dont agree that balanced is always a waste of money but I dont believe there is any need to balance the M100 given their really good efficiency.

For some harder to drive headphones, balanced amps give you more power and that difference is easily heard (again this doesnt apply to the V-Moda's)

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #17,315 of 23,366
I've been reading impressions from A/B tests that balanced connections make no difference. You're changing the amp as well as the connection, so you can't really conclude that the extra power itself makes it some how "sound better." I don't think I've ever heard someone say the difference is easily heard.

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #17,316 of 23,366
The benefit of balanced cabling is two fold: firstly noise rejection, which is relevant only for long cable runs, and secondly channel separation. The two channels are completely independent as opposed to sharing a common ground, which arguably can improve soundstage, imaging, and separation. Probably won't make a big difference for a portable headphone like the M-100.

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #17,317 of 23,366
I was very disappointed when I noticed that the plastic wing plate on my M-100's has a big crack in it. I treat them very gently IMO and they are always either on my head or in their case. Is there a way to order replacement parts or what do I do to get this fixed?

Oct 28, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #17,318 of 23,366
  I was very disappointed when I noticed that the plastic wing plate on my M-100's has a big crack in it. I treat them very gently IMO and they are always either on my head or in their case. Is there a way to order replacement parts or what do I do to get this fixed?

I recently had the same problem, as have many others.  I consider it the weak link in the durability chain of the M-100.  They have been backordered on this part for months.  Contact V-Moda directly and let them know if they don't have a replacement wingplate, you want replacement headphones.  V-Moda really needs to address this issue.

Oct 28, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #17,319 of 23,366
Hi guys,

That logo is pretty cool no doubt!! 

Probably not a lot because they are portable and not really worth the effort or cost just to get them to sound a little fuller at lower volumes. Just get a good amp and you're straight! 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Oct 28, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #17,320 of 23,366
Hey everyone. I'v been reading this thread on and off for a few months, lusting over some M-100's. I'v finally got the money to order a pair, but figured I'd get some input first. With Black Friday / Cyber Monday coming up, would it be worth it to wait and see if there is a sale? Has there ever been a V-Moda holiday sale other than the customer appreciation one I missed in August?

My second question was is there any new info on a new flagship over the ear model? I think I'v read a bit on something that was supposed to launch this holiday season, but this thread moves so fast I haven't been able to keep up. I prefer more 'fun' headphones over flat or neutral  sounding headphones, so if this new flagship is supposed to be more neutral sounding I may want to go ahead and grab some M-100's.

Thanks!

Oct 28, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #17,322 of 23,366
  Hey everyone. I'v been reading this thread on and off for a few months, lusting over some M-100's. I'v finally got the money to order a pair, but figured I'd get some input first. With Black Friday / Cyber Monday coming up, would it be worth it to wait and see if there is a sale? Has there ever been a V-Moda holiday sale other than the customer appreciation one I missed in August?

My second question was is there any new info on a new flagship over the ear model? I think I'v read a bit on something that was supposed to launch this holiday season, but this thread moves so fast I haven't been able to keep up. I prefer more 'fun' headphones over flat or neutral  sounding headphones, so if this new flagship is supposed to be more neutral sounding I may want to go ahead and grab some M-100's.

Thanks!

Last year, Amazon offered a discount to select customers if you order through them.  Also, Best Buy now carries them along with Brookstone, so you could probably use their discounts on the M-100.  Based on history, I would not expect any Black Friday discount from V-Moda directly, but you never know.  Regarding Milan, there is not even a demo out, so no one knows anything about them or when they will be released.

Oct 28, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #17,323 of 23,366

Last year, Amazon offered a discount to select customers if you order through them.  Also, Best Buy now carries them along with Brookstone, so you could probably use their discounts on the M-100.  Based on history, I would not expect any Black Friday discount from V-Moda directly, but you never know.  Regarding Milan, there is not even a demo out, so no one knows anything about them or when they will be released.

Thanks for the info. I was planning on ordering direct unless some awesome sale popped up for the free engraved shields. I'v seen the black on sale on amazon a few times, but I'm after the white.

Oct 28, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #17,324 of 23,366
Interesting thing I found about the XL pads. They are directional dependent. What I mean is that they need to be placed in the right direction in order to have right sound.

I had one pad up the wrong way which made the headphone sound imbalanced. As soon as changed the direction of the pad, it sounds much more balanced.

The question now is which way is the right way up for both pads??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back