V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #15,796 of 23,366
Quote:
I respectfully disagree with you on the sound comparison as I like the M100 sound muuuuuch better than the momentum.

I also think you should add build quality/ruggedness as that and style play a significant part in purchase decisions for quite a few people.

True, that's why I was only listing them in order of the general consensus and not my own option.  Of course for testing it will still be good to have a pair of Momentum for reference.

Aug 2, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #15,797 of 23,366
Portability is another good factor, because in my case I don't see the momentum to be ultra portable, while mdr-1r and m-100 are more or less at the same level depending on what final shape is better for you.

Aug 2, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #15,798 of 23,366
Quote:
I think the general consensus as follow:

Sound: Momentum > M-100 > MDR-1R
Comfort: MDR-1R > M-100 > Momentum

When you say consensus, it does sound like you are speaking for the majority on the thread.  I can say for myself that I rank M-100 first and would place Momentum and IR around 4th or 5th in their price range, but wouldn't presume to say that was the general consensus.

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #15,800 of 23,366
Quote:
I guess the M100 build quality is the best one at a good price, am I wrong?

A qualified yes- the plastic wingplates (where the yoke meets the headband) are brittle and fragile.  Many have commented on their breakage and I am personally waiting for a replacement (I don't even know how mine broke).  Everything else is solid and the M-100 compacts into a smaller form than any other full-size headphone I can recall.

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #15,801 of 23,366
I guess the M100 build quality is the best one at a good price, am I wrong?

I would say yes. With the exception of one weak spot (the wingplates), all the parts are virtually indestructible. The only other headphone that comes close is the HD-25 which has all modular/replaceable parts, but it's also a torture device.

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #15,802 of 23,366
Quote:
When you say consensus, it does sound like you are speaking for the majority on the thread.  I can say for myself that I rank M-100 first and would place Momentum and IR around 4th or 5th in their price range, but wouldn't presume to say that was the general consensus.

Well I think we all know how you think of the M-100, and I have 2 pairs for the same reason.  However, I have to take into what the other camp is saying about the Momentum too.  Since there are more Momentum lovers than M-100 ones out there, we are in the minority here.  However, I do find that the Momentum is more balance again my AK120, but the M-100 is no less enjoyable on that DAP.

Aug 2, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #15,803 of 23,366
This may not be a popular opinion.  

I think the M-100 is very durable in some aspects, but much less so in others.  As others have mentioned, the wing plates instantly come to mind.  Other things are, the cups dislodging when they are dropped.  The cable looks great, but microphonics are ridiculous.(I wear collared shirts EVERY day)  Would be great if they made another non-braided cable.  I know some thing this is better than breaking, but neither should be happening.  I love the M-100, but there are a few things that could be refined.  

The MDR-1R showcases the pinnacle of manufacturing quality, in my opinion.  The fit, finish and mechanics are top notch.  To be expected from such an experienced manufacturer.  What I don't like are the material choices.  Protein leather and excessive use of plastic on $300-$500 headphones, is an oversight at best and ignorance at worst.    

The Momentum is mixed bag.  Great materials choices for the most part.  Not really a fan of the cup choice.  Fit and finish is great.  Very tight manufacturing tolerances.  Poor design choice in cup size.(Not for me personally, but many it seems)  Design kind of leans portable, but kind of not.  Doesn't fold, case is too big etc.  The headphone itself is not too large for a portable though.  Also, I like the brown, but it irritates me a little bit that they keep releasing the oddball colors before the mainstream stuff.  They are doing this with the On-ear now as well.  

PSB M4U2 is made pretty well.  Not a giant fan of the "Beats" construction.  Though it doesn't really squeak or anything.  I worry about long-term durability it though.  Like the leather ear pads.  Cable quality is pretty good.  Looks very "polished".  I like that fact that they fold, though they are pretty big while unfolded.  Case is good size, maybe a little thick.  

Thus ends my "Everything but audio rant/review/comparison"!
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #15,804 of 23,366
I think the Momentum sounds quite different depending on whether you can wear it around ear as intended or not. I fell into the latter category and found it too midbass centric, slow and rather dark, even a bit muddy. I much prefer the M100s sound in comparison and it resembles more of what I consider a fun signature.

Aug 2, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #15,805 of 23,366
Quote:
The MDR-1R showcases the pinnacle of manufacturing quality, in my opinion.  The fit, finish and mechanics are top notch.  To be expected from such an experienced manufacturer.  What I don't like are the material choices.  Protein leather and excessive use of plastic on $300-$500 headphones, is an oversight at best and ignorance at worst. 

Are you forgetting the cable connection clicking after only a few hours of use on a significant portion of MDR-1 users?  That's a pretty sad pinnacle if that is in fact the peak of fit/finish.

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #15,806 of 23,366
Quote:
I think the M-100 is very durable in some aspects, but much less so in others.  As others have mentioned, the wing plates instantly come to mind.  Other things are, the cups dislodging when they are dropped.  The cable looks great, but microphonics are ridiculous.(I wear collared shirts EVERY day)  Would be great if they made another non-braided cable.  I know some thing this is better than breaking, but neither should be happening.  I love the M-100, but there are a few things that could be refined.  

That's actually a feature to protect the headphone. When the cups dislodge that takes away some of the impact of the fall. You can easily pop them back in, which is better than cracking the cups or damaging the driver.

Aug 2, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #15,808 of 23,366
Quote:
Ironically my earcups are cracked from not falling. XD

Yeah I still remember those pics you posted showing what can happen to the cups when you over tighten the shield screws. I would definitely call that a design flaw. I've only heard the momentum when I've seen them on display at the stores so my experience with them is rather limited. I think the Momentum has better mids but for everything else I think the M100 trumps it. Neither headphone is overly bright but I think the M100 treble has slightly better refinement. Just my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back