V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 1, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #15,781 of 23,366
Pretty much exactly what I said.  The exception though, is that Tyll thought they were all $100 cheaper than they actually are.  

First, Tyll didn't think they were cheaper, he said he was gonna update the review with that.

Second, who said I got them at retail price? Far from that, to be honest.

Third, Tyll said they were by far the best Bluetooth headphones he had listened to and that's why they are in the wall of fame. In fact he said that the noise canceling are much worse sounding. Please, read the review by Jude.

Four, he doesn't do a direct comparison with the regular ones. The only thing he said is that there is something wrong with the miss bass.

Five and by the way, I didn't pay full price for the M-100. In my opinion they are as overpriced as these cans, specially considering the comfort department.

Any other destructive comment? Or somebody is gonna say something with constructive and without referring to third party reviews.

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #15,782 of 23,366
Are the earpads interchangeable? I have a tny rip in mine.

Yes they are. V-Moda are releasing XL pads soon, so you'll have to wait it out for some replacements:)

Not too sure if they sell the normal pads.

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #15,783 of 23,366
Quote:
First, Tyll didn't think they were cheaper, he said he was gonna update the review with that.

Second, who said I got them at retail price? Far from that, to be honest.

Third, Tyll said they were by far the best Bluetooth headphones he had listened to and that's why they are in the wall of fame. In fact he said that the noise canceling are much worse sounding. Please, read the review by Jude.

Four, he doesn't do a direct comparison with the regular ones. The only thing he said is that there is something wrong with the miss bass.

Five and by the way, I didn't pay full price for the M-100. In my opinion they are as overpriced as these cans, specially considering the comfort department.

Any other destructive comment? Or somebody is gonna say something with constructive and without referring to third party reviews.

First, I didn't say anything destructive.  

Second, I made no mention, nor did I infer anything about what you paid.  

Third, being the best Bluetooth headphone doesn't mean they're a great headphone.  Simply that they do the best they can, while saddled with the restrictions of the transmission method.  Also, they aren't even AptX.  Unless you paid $200, which you very well might have(I don't care), you paid too much.  IMO.

Fourth, where did I say that he made a did a direct comparison with the regular ones?  Seriously, I made ABSOLUTELY no mention of this.  

Fifth, who cares what you paid?  I get deals on headphones as well.  I was simply commenting on what Sony is asking for them.  In addition to that, their costs would be based on that number, so any discount you receive would still make it a fair amount above the other phones in this lineup.  There in lies my true issue with the price.  Why would they try to charge $200 extra for the NC version?  And it's not even BT, to boot.  

Sixth, I have no ill will towards Tyll.  I respect his reviews and am an avide reader of his site.  That said, yes he did say he would update the review if the price went back up.  He said this in April.  It is now August.  Do you really think this is getting updated?  He made a number of references to the price being a factor in his comparisons.  I actually like the MDR-1R, just wan't a large fan of the others.  

Seventh, dude, just settle down.  

FWIW.  I have listened extensively to all three, in fact they are sitting in front of me right now.  I feel my opinion is just as valid any anyone else's.  Take it, or leave it.  

I really don't get why you jumped down my throat.  You should look into that.  

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #15,784 of 23,366
Quote:
First, I didn't say anything destructive.  

Second, I made no mention, nor did I infer anything about what you paid.  

Third, being the best Bluetooth headphone doesn't mean they're a great headphone.  Simply that they do the best they can, while saddled with the restrictions of the transmission method.  Also, they aren't even AptX.  Unless you paid $200, which you very well might have(I don't care), you paid too much.  IMO.

Fourth, where did I say that he made a did a direct comparison with the regular ones?  Seriously, I made ABSOLUTELY no mention of this.  

Fifth, who cares what you paid?  I get deals on headphones as well.  I was simply commenting on what Sony is asking for them.  In addition to that, their costs would be based on that number, so any discount you receive would still make it a fair amount above the other phones in this lineup.  There in lies my true issue with the price.  Why would they try to charge $200 extra for the NC version?  And it's not even BT, to boot.  

Sixth, I have no ill will towards Tyll.  I respect his reviews and am an avide reader of his site.  That said, yes he did say he would update the review if the price went back up.  He said this in April.  It is now August.  Do you really think this is getting updated?  He made a number of references to the price being a factor in his comparisons.  I actually like the MDR-1R, just wan't a large fan of the others.  

Seventh, dude, just settle down.  

FWIW.  I have listened extensively to all three, in fact they are sitting in front of me right now.  I feel my opinion is just as valid any anyone else's.  Take it, or leave it.  

I really don't get why you jumped down my throat.  You should look into that.  

Dude, I respect your opinion a lot, if you don't think so you are completely wrong, and that's primarily why I first entered here to post, to know opinions. First thing I said is that my first impressions with these headphones were disappointness, specially because of the bass boost on them (although I suppose that a lot of people is primarily what they are searching). I think at the price point of 400$ these cans are largely overpriced, and I am pretty sure that the MDR-1R are as well at 300$. But I don't agree with with you that these cans are expensive at 200$. Everybody can value in a headphone what they want. At this point, after having tried a lot of headphones, and specially have been living with the V-Moda M-100 for more than 6 months, I think you cannot sacrifice comfort by sound quality, and specially in these cans where somebody can find the bass boost something awesome, I found myself trying to fix the sound signature by EQ'ing all the time, which is simply inconvenient for portability.

When your primary purpose in portability, I think the MDR-1RBT do a really good job for many reasons and yeap, you sacrifice sound quality on this way. You don't need to keep pluging and unpluging a cable constantly (and don't mean only on the source, I mean on the headphones as well), the connection is pretty fast with the source, the way the fold is really good to be kept on the bag ( I am sorry to say that the "ball" you get with the M-100 is not exactly convenient to port), and you get controls for everything on the headphone itself. 

Again, I never said they were the best sounding headphones ever. I said they were pretty convenient for portability and for use sporadically. If I am at home, there are much better options that these for sure, and again the M-100 are not specially comfortable for use at home either. 

I respect Tyll reviews a lot and I spend a lot of time not only reading them, but reading the comments of the people out there. I never said you had any illness about Tyll reviews, by the way, but doesn't really matter. You didn't do mention for the direct comparison with the MDR-1R, but that was what I was looking for and asking for. Probably I didn't mention it here and I mixed my thoughts about what I had written here and in another thread. Sorry if that offended you that much, I make mistakes as every other human being, but you looked pretty offfended by that... Furthermore, what you pay for a headphone is something important, so yes, somebody might care.

By the way, I didn't jump in nobody's throat. Again, I am sorry if you felt like that, I didn't mean it. I am just trying to lead the conversation to a constructive direction and trying to get some conclusions and learn in the way. Not everything is about sound, although it's probably the main reason we are here, there are other factors to consider. Now, if you want to keep it that way is up to you, I am not gonna follow that path.

My apologies for giving you such a bad time with my post, and for getting a probably more than excessive defensive position. I don't think it is such a big deal in any case, I didn't insult nor verbally abuse anybody.

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #15,786 of 23,366
Quote:

Dude, I respect your opinion a lot, if you don't think so you are completely wrong, and that's primarily why I first entered here to post, to know opinions. First thing I said is that my first impressions with these headphones were disappointness, specially because of the bass boost on them (although I suppose that a lot of people is primarily what they are searching). I think at the price point of 400$ these cans are largely overpriced, and I am pretty sure that the MDR-1R are as well at 300$. But I don't agree with with you that these cans are expensive at 200$. Everybody can value in a headphone what they want. At this point, after having tried a lot of headphones, and specially have been living with the V-Moda M-100 for more than 6 months, I think you cannot sacrifice comfort by sound quality, and specially in these cans where somebody can find the bass boost something awesome, I found myself trying to fix the sound signature by EQ'ing all the time, which is simply inconvenient for portability.

When your primary purpose in portability, I think the MDR-1RBT do a really good job for many reasons and yeap, you sacrifice sound quality on this way. You don't need to keep pluging and unpluging a cable constantly (and don't mean only on the source, I mean on the headphones as well), the connection is pretty fast with the source, the way the fold is really good to be kept on the bag ( I am sorry to say that the "ball" you get with the M-100 is not exactly convenient to port), and you get controls for everything on the headphone itself. 

Again, I never said they were the best sounding headphones ever. I said they were pretty convenient for portability and for use sporadically. If I am at home, there are much better options that these for sure, and again the M-100 are not specially comfortable for use at home either. 

I respect Tyll reviews a lot and I spend a lot of time not only reading them, but reading the comments of the people out there. I never said you had any illness about Tyll reviews, by the way, but doesn't really matter. You didn't do mention for the direct comparison with the MDR-1R, but that was what I was looking for and asking for. Probably I didn't mention it here and I mixed my thoughts about what I had written here and in another thread. Sorry if that offended you that much, I make mistakes as every other human being, but you looked pretty offfended by that... Furthermore, what you pay for a headphone is something important, so yes, somebody might care.

By the way, I didn't jump in nobody's throat. Again, I am sorry if you felt like that, I didn't mean it. I am just trying to lead the conversation to a constructive direction and trying to get some conclusions and learn in the way. Not everything is about sound, although it's probably the main reason we are here, there are other factors to consider. Now, if you want to keep it that way is up to you, I am not gonna follow that path.

My apologies for giving you such a bad time with my post, and for getting a probably more than excessive defensive position. I don't think it is such a big deal in any case, I didn't insult nor verbally abuse anybody.

Just to clarify.  I said, "unless you paid $200,...you paid too much".  

No worries man.  I just felt as though you came at me in response to what I thought was a pretty innocuous post on my part.  

We'll move on blueangel, have no fear.  For what it's worth though, the MDR-1R is one of the primary competitors to the M-100.  I wouldn't say it's completely off topic.  Was it a tangent? Sure.   

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #15,787 of 23,366
Price-wise it's a competitor, but sound signature wise I don't think they would appeal to the same crowd. I'd say the Momentum is much closer to the M-100 as both are somewhat U-shaped, but to my ears the 1R is more like an upside-down U (horseshoe-shaped? haha). It's mid-centric and laid back as opposed to fun.

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #15,788 of 23,366
Sound vs. comfort that's all.  No harm talking about the MDR-1R and the Sennheiser Momentum here in relations to the V-MODA M-100.

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #15,789 of 23,366
Agreed comparisons are always welcome. Still looking to get an M-100 in the future when the funds allow. So far I've had both the Momentum and 1R and thought they both had different strengths and weaknesses. Looking forward to trying the M-100 as well as other portables in the market. M4U1/2 comes to mind.

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #15,791 of 23,366
Quote:
Agreed comparisons are always welcome. Still looking to get an M-100 in the future when the funds allow. So far I've had both the Momentum and 1R and thought they both had different strengths and weaknesses. Looking forward to trying the M-100 as well as other portables in the market. M4U1/2 comes to mind.

Quote:
Looking forward to see that comparison.

Very true, and I almost want to get a pair of the MDR-1R just to have it for review against my M-100 and Momentum.  For $200, it's comfort level and sound quality is hard to beat.

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #15,793 of 23,366
Quote:
The 1R are really comfortable, but when I tried them, I didn't get the sound quality I was expecting,but I do get it in my M-100. 

I think the general consensus as follow:

Sound: Momentum > M-100 > MDR-1R
Comfort: MDR-1R > M-100 > Momentum

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #15,795 of 23,366
Quote:
I think the general consensus as follow:

Sound: Momentum > M-100 > MDR-1R
Comfort: MDR-1R > M-100 > Momentum

I respectfully disagree with you on the sound comparison as I like the M100 sound muuuuuch better than the momentum.

I also think you should add build quality/ruggedness as that and style play a significant part in purchase decisions for quite a few people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back