V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 14, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #15,497 of 23,366
Quote:

He's been trolling frequenting the X1 thread too...not sure what the point is really.  He def likes to argue I've noticed.

I don't troll any thread or argue with anyone unless they ask for it, You are picking up on maybe 50 posts out of about 2000 I have made, 99% of the posts I make are not argumentative, unless people make comments or act in a way which asks for it. Anyway I am leaving this thread, Goodbye.

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #15,498 of 23,366
Quote:

I don't troll any thread or argue with anyone unless they ask for it, You are picking up on maybe 50 posts out of about 2000 I have made, 99% of the posts I make are not argumentative, unless people make comments or act in a way which asks for it. Anyway I am leaving this thread, Goodbye.

The problem is, your definition of "asking for it", is anyone having a dissenting opinion from your own.  Your statements come across as incendiary and tend to draw out reactions from people.  If you were genuinely interested in contributing, you would tailor your words accordingly.   

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #15,499 of 23,366
Quote:
The problem is, your definition of "asking for it", is anyone having a dissenting opinion from your own.  Your statements come across as incendiary and tend to draw out reactions from people.  If you were genuinely interested in contributing, you would tailor your words accordingly.   

Not really no, but anyway back onto the m-100, I do not want to discuss it.

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #15,500 of 23,366
popcorn.gif

Jul 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #15,501 of 23,366
Quote:
^ that's actually an iPod Video; one of the two iPod models with the Wolfson DAC. :p

Oh speaking of plane rides, how was the isolation with the V-MODAs? It doesn't look like it will isolate much from the engine noise which is around 80 Hz.

Engine noise was not too intrusive at volume levels I used :) but you could hear it in silent moments. Was very good at blocking out the twin 14 month old kids in front of me which was a godsend. I stand corrected on the iPod. It is indeed a 5 gen iPod with video (80 GB). It is a 2006 late generation from the chart. Got lucky with the DAC and also have a 60 GB version of the same. Am excited about some of the storage modifications one can do with these that I've read in other threads since I'm pushing my 80 GB limit.

Jul 14, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #15,502 of 23,366
^ nice edited post. XD

I'm doing an RFI test with the E12 snd M-100 at the moment and it's definitely brighter and its soundstage and instrument separation are smaller/less compared to the C5.

Lindsey Stirling's violins sound more ear-grating to me.

And holy cow that's a lot of RFI noise. My gawd. I had to unplug my FiiO LOD to cut the noise since it was so loud.

What the hay, mang. This RFI noise is really bugging me...even if the E12 sounded incredible, I'm having a hard time enjoying my music with all of this noise. :frowning2:

Jul 14, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #15,503 of 23,366
Sparklyflea, thank you for your impression of the m-100 paired with c5, and thank you, miceblue, for your comparison of the c5 and the e12; both were very informative and helpful. I actually own the c5 and have only used it briefly since owning my m-100's for 9 days now. Just got back from business trip to San Diego and I did enjoy the m-100's on the plane. Although, they did not totally block out the outside noise, they were still very engaging and quickly would forget all about the outside noise.

While on my trip I was able to read a lot of positve reviews about the e12 and thought it might be worth a shot, but I think I will pass and just keep my c5. I do agree with everything you have said miceblue, with the short time I have spent with the c5 and totally enjoy the spaciousness the c5 adds to the m-100.

After 9 days still lovin' my m-100's, best headphones I have used.

Thanks again, everyone.

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #15,505 of 23,366

CONSIDERATION for POTENTIAL BUYERS !!!!

Quote:
New pads? WHEN?!

Quote:

Quote:

Hahahaha!!!

Maybe V-Moda can release a bigger M100 that doesn't feel on-ear (and not the other way around like Senn...)
Waiting for the XL pads kind of sucks... hope they deliver...

Quote:
Waaaaait... The current model isn't already considered on-ear? It's about the same wearing/fit experience as the M-80.

The Momentums I tried briefly at Best Buy weren't bad and partially went around my ear, but my Crossfade LPs had slightly more room IIRC. Since the cup and pad size of the LPs and M-100s are the same, I know I can only wear them for about an hour and a half unless/until the pads break in or I get used to them. I could and have worn my Q701 and previous AD700 for 8-hour stretches, though over time I turned the volume lower and lower to prevent fatigue. I've read a lot on this thread about how M-100 comfort improves with flexing the headband for looser fit or the pads conforming to the ear, and of course there are the mods such as the "paper towel" stuffing and the upcoming XL pads.

Speaking about the XL pads, what has been rumored about them? Compared to the stock pads, Are they wider, stuffed to be deeper, or both? I still think it's wild that V-MODA crowd-sources ideas, though of course it takes someone clever to think of features that the average person wouldn't even know they want/need till they use it. IMO, V-MODA uses some of both creativity, which is cool even if I'm not a fan of the electronic music broadcast through the V-MODA djmixer radio app.
Comparative headphones will be mentioned though, I seem to recall the impressions of several headphones leading up to the M-100 (and a few after that didn't stay) from you. I agree that this thread should mainly be focused on the M-100, because people that read the thread title will come here to read different perspectives on the original topic, but also I think the thread is more valuable and authentic by being democratic. I'm actually very impressed that there has been mostly high praise for the M-100, and very few people that try it and say they prefer a comparable headphone; that says a lot about the M-100 almost a year later after it was released.

I'm very excited about my arriving M-100. The LP was a pretty good compliment to my Q701, but the M-100 should be even better
biggrin.gif

Quote:
The "paper towel mod" or in my case the "rope mod" puts space under the pads, effectively moving the driver cover away from your ears, making it more comfortable.  It helps.

I use 1/4" rope, which when compressed makes the pads fit just good enough for decent comfort.  Not good comfort, decent.  I am one of the "XL pad hopefuls" but I'm not holding my breath on either a release date or if it is going to solve the problem (both depth AND opening size). 

Quote:
Ok, thank you so much! I just set it up and it is a bit more comfortable. I have 30 days to return the headphones to Amazon if I decide I don't like them, so hopefully the XL pads come out between now and then. I know this is a M-100 thread, but are there any other portable headphones that are very comfortable? I know not everyone has the same ears, but any advice would be appreciated. I was attracted to the M-100 because of the size and the sound quality, but if comfort is an issue I'm not too sure how I feel about keeping them. 

Quote:
I fooled around with them for a bit, but there was just something about them that made me feel uncomfortable. I'm not sure if I was sensitive to the smell of paint, the pressure of the band (I do have a big head), or just the size of the cups, but ultimately I decided to return them. They sounded great, but I think I'd rather opt for a more neutral pair of headphones. I'm upset they didn't work out for me, especially with how well made and portable they are, but at least I learned something about my headphone tastes! I think if the XL pads were available at the moment it would be a different story, but I still found the bass to aggravate whatever strain the headphones were putting on me. Still, they are great at what they are supposed to do, but I don't think they are for me.

Quote:

Had both the MDR-1Rs and M-100s, the Sony's are DEFINITELY more comfortable by a mile (it has been one of the most comfortable headphones I've tried these past few years). BUT, I found the mids to be very accentuated and especially, there seems to be a region in the upper mids that causes a bit of fatigue TO ME. It seems others are Ok with the overall sound and some others mention that these are better at lower volumes... (probably due to the mids/fatigue factor...).

I didn't have any problems with them in half-hour increments... If you give them for people to try, they might NOT notice any comfort issues if they only have them on for 10 minutes or less... Try most of the day (at work I AT LEAST use headphones for 6 hours of the day... maybe more... #CubicleCodeMonkey ) and it's very apparent and your ears feel the pain. That's basically THE ONLY reason I sold them. The fact that also one of the wingtips was cracking turned me off. When I get them again, I will definitely NOT pay full retail for both headphones and XL pads... :p

Quote:

Actually:

^ this
Trying a pair of headphones for less than 5 minutes and saying the comfort is good doesn't mean very much.

Quote:
I don't need the XL pads but I will get a pair just to try them for sure.  It has been a long time making, and I think Val have interntion to make it, along with other accessories, as a package deal with the M-100.  I am seriously hoping for some major development by Sept.

Quote:
Hopefully before September, I'd like to try them in early August, but I doubt that'll happen.

Quote:

They will definitely be available for sale separately. There was talk about current M-100 owners being able to receive the XL pads free with a minimum $20 purchase from the v-moda website. Not confirmed though. It would make sense for first-time buyers to be able to choose from the regular or XL pads when placing their order though.

Quote:
People's ears not being able to fit inside the cups isn't going to be alleviated by these XL pads.  All the XL pads are designed to fix is the ears hitting the driver inside the cups which is why people are stuffing rope and paper towels underneath the foam.  The diameter isn't going to change from what I understand.  If they are "on ears" for you now, they are going to be the same w/ the XLs.

Quote:

Rope? lol

Do you mean the XL are going to be deeper or bigger in circumference?

Quote:

Deeper.

Quote:
From what val said they'd be both bigger and deeper

Quote:
Another fan of the M100 & C5 pairing here. Two great tastes that taste great together, as they say.

Alright , these are quotes from the LAST 10 page , I have been touching and bringing this issue up since the beginning of the year 2013. Since then , Val has promised that it the issue will be solved but till now .  WE SEE NO SIGN OF IT ! . All just pure talks here and a few dimension of the XL pads .<- ( this seems like a gimmick to try and sweep the issue under the carpet ) 

For POTENTIAL BUYERS , please be aware of this headphone - it might sound nice but it has SERIOUS COMFORT ISSUES for quite a substantial amount of people ! which is something that is initially overlooked / considered during testing stage if one might have the chance of testing it such as myself. As I said it again and again if you do not have this issue GOOD FOR YOU ! Stick to your headphone and let those who have the issue have our voice . Throughout my time of bringing this issue up here , there is some loyal soldiers that is asking me to take it down a notch as it may effect potential buyers COME ON GUYS ! where is this issue heading now ?

I would like to put this point blank that marketing as such JUST SIMPLY ANNOYS ME . The fact that they still try to market it as top in amazon in quite a few other websites while you have a PRESSING ISSUE THAT YOU HAVE AS OF NOW NOT YET SOLVE !

I hope V-Moda is a company as they promote and the community views . We should see them Solving this Issue (Passion Driven) first and foremost before any NEW PRODUCTS rather than one that is purely profit driven.

Jul 15, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #15,506 of 23,366
Quote:

CONSIDERATION for POTENTIAL BUYERS !!!!

Alright , these are quotes from the LAST 10 page , I have been touching and bringing this issue up since the beginning of the year 2013. Since then , Val has promised that it the issue will be solved but till now .  WE SEE NO SIGN OF IT ! . All just pure talks here and a few dimension of the XL pads .<- ( this seems like a gimmick to try and sweep the issue under the carpet ) 

For POTENTIAL BUYERS , please be aware of this headphone - it might sound nice but it has SERIOUS COMFORT ISSUES for quite a substantial amount of people ! which is something that is initially overlooked / considered during testing stage if one might have the chance of testing it such as myself. As I said it again and again if you do not have this issue GOOD FOR YOU ! Stick to your headphone and let those who have the issue have our voice . Throughout my time of bringing this issue up here , there is some loyal soldiers that is asking me to take it down a notch as it may effect potential buyers COME ON GUYS ! where is this issue heading now ?

I would like to put this point blank that marketing as such JUST SIMPLY ANNOYS ME . The fact that they still try to market it as top in amazon in quite a few other websites while you have a PRESSING ISSUE THAT YOU HAVE AS OF NOW NOT YET SOLVE !

I hope V-Moda is a company as they promote and the community views . We should see them Solving this Issue (Passion Driven) first and foremost before any NEW PRODUCTS rather than one that is purely profit driven.

Val's on it. You can search for his posts on the subject. I don't see why people are getting so worked up over this.

Jul 15, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #15,507 of 23,366
Quote:
XL PAD NEWS!
FINALLY!  We had to completely change the stitching and now it is sounding much better, it is crazy how much difference the littlest things on fittings/cushion makes to the sound.  My golden-ear team says now that we have changed the stitching process for larger ears that we can prototype 4 variants of sizes in quantity of 5 sets so we can get some test help.  They are sending photos to me tonight of the final breakthrough and you can see the differences.  

Just making the original cushion design bigger in multi-dimensions did not work at all... proof that the driver and comfort is important, but "the fit is the final sound". Like a bespoke tailored suit, it makes the man.

FINALLY!  You do not know how long I've been agonizing over this XL cushion and pushing the team, I can finally post again and be more active so that I don't read people asking anymore, it is painful but Rome wasn't built in a day.

M-80 WHITE SIDE NOTE
They are completely sold out now, so if you have one - you are lucky!

Stay tuned for XL pics within 48 hours, promise!  And we will post them for preorder.  As far as normal M-100 cushions, thanks for reminding me.  I'll add to our production run grey + black.

-V

Yee. XL pads are still in the process of being made.

Jul 15, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #15,508 of 23,366
Personally I'd rather wait awhile longer and get larger pads that fix comfort issues and won't muddy up the sound then have V-MODA release pads as quick as possible that's half baked. Just my two cents

Jul 15, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #15,509 of 23,366
Before we start scaring people off, I think we need to look at the 'comfort' issue as 3 separate issues:

1.) Pad depth
2.) Pad enclosed area
3.) Clamping force/pressure

(1.) Basically I don't have an issue in this regard. My ears do not touch the drivers. This - as is my translation of Val's comments - will not be directly addressed by the XL pads.

(2.) This is one half of my problem. The pads are not quite surround my ears. This WILL be addressed with the XL pads.

(3.) The clamping force is as noted by many, somewhat adjustable. You need a bit of bravery and really bend that headband quite a lot. Not just flex them, but like invert them a little to get the clamping that suits you.

As far as the physics goes the clamping force will not be reduced by using different pads as the headband will exert the same force regardless the padding at the end. With a more compliant pad, the pressure will be reduced slightly as the softer pad deforms to a larger area on the side of your head. The XL pad may help with the pressure as it may have a larger area over which to distribute the clamping force. This may or may not help with (1) as the larger pad area may not be compressed as much as the smaller pad (it depends on what material Val uses in the end) and therefore the driver will be slightly further from your head and therefore more clearance for your ears.

That's my take on the whole XL pads thing. If anyone has more info, please feel free to correct me.

In summary, if you have an issue with (3) you can actually fix it with the normal pads. If V-Moda gets it right, they can potentially fix (1) and (2) with the new pads. Best of all, try on a pair. They're not as uncomfortable as you might think.

Jul 15, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #15,510 of 23,366
Why does everyone get all defensive about it, the V-moda have very poor comfort for a large proportion of people, I think that is pretty clear from the amount of posts.

I said about the comfort and also the FR response issues with the M-100 and got the V-moda brigade very upset about it. Ok if you like the headphones that is not a problem, but they do quite clearly have issues in the areas mentioned.

Anyone who mentions it then they get a reply saying "why are you making a fuss about it" etc. whereas something along the lines of  "I just got dem m-100 and dat bass is wickeds innit"  is met with a lot of back patting and friendly remarks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back