V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jun 14, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #14,911 of 23,366
Quote:

Funny how people hear differently.... The Momentums are not harsh for me for hours of listening whereas the M-100 physically hurt my ears after an hour or two, both the comfort and the treble! The M-100 are not a pleasant experience for me when combining the pain of wearing them and the ear fatigue! I don't think they are bad, because if you look at my sig you can see I rated them quite high on my list of headphones, its just I was a bit disappointed because I was expecting better after this 1000 page thread...

Honestly though, looking at what headphones you consider "the best" I'm not really surprised at what you prefer over the M-100s. Everyone has different sensitivities to certain sounds. And of course preferences when it comes to headphones. Though I do agree... the clamping force and somewhat shallow cups does become uncomfortable with long periods of use. I usually put some padding between my ear and the cup to fix this. It works wonders for me.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #14,912 of 23,366
How do you put something between the pads and your ears without it falling off?

I did still rate the M-100 quite well, it just bothers me that parts of the sound are missing. Sorry to come into the thread and post negative comments, I am giving my opinion as this thread says "V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews"... TBH if you don't want to hear anything negative about them the do not read the thread!

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #14,913 of 23,366
Quote:
How do you put something between the pads and your ears without it falling off?

I did still rate the M-100 quite well, it just bothers me that parts of the sound are missing. Sorry to come into the thread and post negative comments, I am giving my opinion as this thread says "V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews"... TBH if you don't want to hear anything negative about them the do not read the thread!

There is a little gap under the pads (like with most) I wedge padding under towards the back of the headphone where the gap is an issue. It usually stays in because I don't need to take off the padding. I usually use a bit of fabric, though I've head people using paper towels.

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #14,914 of 23,366
Quote:

There is a little gap under the pads (like with most) I wedge padding under towards the back of the headphone where the gap is an issue. It usually stays in because I don't need to take off the padding. I usually use a bit of fabric, though I've head people using paper towels.

Mm I have done this as well to get them so my ears can fit in without touching the outside, the problem is that when you stuff the pads with paper towels, mouse mat whatever... this is messes up the bass quality, which is the main selling point of these headphones... So you have to choose... Ear pain or textured bass.... Maybe if these had the XL pads that people are talking about you could have the best of both and I would like them more than I do at the moment. They do sound really nice for electronic music when they are not padded, but I have to take them off after 30mins due to ear pain :frowning2:

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #14,915 of 23,366
Quote:

Mm I have done this as well to get them so my ears can fit in without touching the outside, the problem is that when you stuff the pads with paper towels, mouse mat whatever... this is messes up the bass quality, which is the main selling point of these headphones... So you have to choose... Ear pain or textured bass.... Maybe if these had the XL pads that people are talking about you could have the best of both and I would like them more than I do at the moment.

I don't stuff them that much... Only enough so as to buffer the space between my ear to the driver. It took a bit of experimentation, but eventually I got enough to alleviate pain but little enough to not change the sound. Though... I usually tune down the bass a bit anyway because it is simply too much for some of my music :p

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #14,916 of 23,366
Quote:

I wish people could just share their opinions on headphones on these forums without constantly having to justify their purchase or get all offended when someone says anything bad about their headphones. I was just comparing what I think about what are probably regarded as the best of the new portables and how I think they compare, sorry if I upset you with my impressions and not just saying "these are so great"... To me the M-100 is far from bad sounding, I just think they should have made the frequency response a bit less extreme because it negatively effects the sound quality by masking a lot of areas and to me, coming from headphones like HD650, D2000, Momentum... This sounds a bit wrong. I am not even sure I will keep the momentum due to the size and fit of them, but comparing the two, I prefer the Momentum to the M-100... I think I will give a few more a try before I settle on which pair to keep, maybe the Denon D600 and Sony MDR-1R next.... Trying headphones is fun
beyersmile.png

I'm giving you a hard time because I thought your posts had a bit of a negative or condescending tone. Hard to place, but I placed it. I also shared my opinions too, hopefully without reproach of what your take on the Momentums & 840s were. It only turned out 5mins ago that I saw your sig and that you had ranked them under the Momentums. I'm no fanboy for the M100s, but my ears don't side with yours here, and you know what, that's great.

Until you mentioned your sig headphone ranking and Vampire pointed me towards it because he said it made sense of your opinion, I hadn't looked at your headphones ratings. And haha, that confused me even more because my ranking probably isn't too far off yours, but I side with the M100s>Momentums. I do highly recommend trying the M100s amped though, man did I ever feel that sealed the deal on them for me. Until then I was on the fence about keeping them, then I heard them amped and dumped another $250 on an iBasso D42 to justify keeping them 
confused_face_2.gif
  I can use the dac+amp for my other gear too though, so that makes it alright, right?

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #14,917 of 23,366
I have the M-100 running through my Xonar STX and they do sound good when the pads are left alone, unfortunately this means I cannot wear them for more than 30 minutes. I think that if you only use the M-100 for certain genres (bass heavy, electronic music etc.) and appreciate them for what they are (colored, bassy headphones aimed at electronic music) without analysing the sound too much then they are good, definitely better than most other headphones of this type and the build quality and aesthetics are very impressive. It is just that when comparing the M-100 to the Momentums (I have to send one of these back back) the flaws of the M-100 do seem quite obvious (the uneven frequency response and almost missing frequencies)... I think that although the M-100 have a more instant appeal, overall the Momentum are the better headphones, I think the sound of the M-100 is a little bit too colored / uneven.

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #14,918 of 23,366
Quote:
I have the M-100 running through my Xonar STX and they do sound good when the pads are left alone, unfortunately this means I cannot wear them for more than 30 minutes. I think that if you only use the M-100 for certain genres (bass heavy, electronic music etc.) and appreciate them for what they are (colored, bassy headphones aimed at electronic music) without analysing the sound too much then they are good, definitely better than most other headphones of this type and the build quality and aesthetics are very impressive. It is just that when comparing the M-100 to the Momentums (I have to send one of these back back) the flaws of the M-100 do seem quite obvious (the uneven frequency response and almost missing frequencies)... I think that although the M-100 have a more instant appeal, overall the Momentum are the better headphones, I think the sound of the M-100 is a little bit too colored / uneven.

your posts confuse me... you know what, before i start, let me point out that i mean this as an amicable discussion and in no way mean to be belligerent.
anyway, ive been following this post for the last few hundred pages, and ive read your posts here aswell. what confuses me is that you seem to bash them repeatedly, criticizing them for colouration, then turn around and say that actually you quite like them, and that theyre good for electronic music - which is what they are meant for, as dj headphones.

youre also very very specific about your criticism of their frequency response. firstly, frequency response isnt everything, two headphones with very similar frequency responses can sound very different. second, it just sounds like your basing everything you say on a graph. it doesnt work that way. the sharp peaks and nulls in the treble are there with almost every headphone. thats the way our ears are built (the response is measured by dummy ears that are based around human ears). perceived frequency response is very different - let alone subjective. download a sinewave generator and sweep through the frequencies, then ask yourself how much of what you hear actually correlates to the graph you saw on headroom. the mega massive 10 dB peak at 10 Khz that everyone talks about seemed (to me) to level out with the rest of the frequencies when i lowered it by 4 dB. thats a 6 dB difference between what the graph says and what my ears said. this actually makes perfect sense to me, as a doubling in volume is 3 dB, but a perceived doubling in volume is about 10 dB. our hearing is NOT accurate. so think about how misleading frequency response graphs are. what measures like x8 really only sound like x2, and most people dont even know that our hearing work exponentially (i hope thats the right word), and they think that +9 dB and +3dB are worlds apart, when they arent really, and it all depends on how loud you listen, on what frequencies your talking about, and its all complicated and convoluted...
what the dummy head "heard" may well be quite far from what you hear.
edit: i think that if it were possible (which it isnt ofcourse) to graph perceived frequency response, all headphones would have a much flatter response. think of a regular graph, only with the line "squished".

i listen almost exclusively to downtempo EDM, so it makes sense id like these cans. i wouldnt expect a classical fan to use them, same as i wouldnt get a pair of hd 600 (for arguments sake, just as an example of flattish sounding cans) and then go about criticizing them for not having enough bass.

and i have a cable cable (i dont know what its called) and 2 cigarette filters stuffed under my m-100 pads. the bass is effected so slightly, i barely consider it worth mentioning. others who have done similar mods also report very minor changes. i doubt it will make or break ones decision about the sound signature.
but yea, the biggest fault of these cans is imo the comfort. my ears stick out more than most, and without the mod the m-100 were impossible to use, just way way too painful.

i hope i explained myself properly. i find it hard to be coherent in writing. which is funny, since i was just saying how confusing it was for me to read your posts XD

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #14,919 of 23,366
Quote:

I gotta be honest, I totally agree.  I just received these and while they do sound good, oh man they are just not comfy at all :frowning2:.

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #14,920 of 23,366

I'm surprised you ranked the Q40 so low. And M50 over 840, really? But M-100 still beats them all even according to you lol

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #14,921 of 23,366
adamlr to be honest I was just trying to be a bit more positive as I felt that my previous posts were a bit harsh and made it sound like they were terrible headphones or something. My initial impressions were bad as I was analysing the sound for faults, but if you just listen to them and ignore any issues then they are good at what they do. I still stand by my comments that I think they are far too peaky and some parts of the sound seem very recessed, almost missing completely.... They have a sort of "gimmicky" sound (my opinion)...This is from both looking at the graphs and also listening and comparing them to the Momentums which are very good at representing all frequencies..... When I first got the M-100 I was expecting something with better treble and lower midrange and I found this a bit of a disappointment.

Comparing the two it becomes very obvious that the M-100 is (almost) missing quite a lot of the sound frequencies, especially the lower midrange and a lot of the treble, resulting in thin sounding treble and recessed lower midrange. What I meant is that if you have not heard headphones which are more neutral / better... the M-100 are good at what they do... (I would consider them as a consumer "basshead" headphone aimed at electronic music etc.)

Although overall I still prefer the Momentum even for most electronic music because the treble is much better and the lower midrange is also a lot better. The M-100 do have a more entertaining sound, but overall the issues start to irritate me, I hand it to the M-100 though that when the pads are not stuffed the bass on them is very nice. After a while it does start to bother me the amount of sound that seems to go missing on the M-100 and I would not like them as my only pair of headphones.

In an ideal world I would keep both and use the M-100 for a 30 minute blast until my ears give out and then use the Momentum for longer listening sessions. If I have to choose one it is going to be the Momentums.

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #14,922 of 23,366
Quote:

I'm surprised you ranked the Q40 so low. And M50 over 840, really? But M-100 still beats them all even according to you lol

yep well it is all personal preference and obviously as you own the Q40 and Shures then you are going to prefer them lol. Maybe you are right actually the 840 probably do beat the M50's. Maybe I will change it. It is hard to remember which were best. It is purely on sound quality... If it was based on value then I would place the UE6000 above the M-100...

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #14,923 of 23,366
Quote:

Well the M-100 do sound better than the m50, 840 and Q40 (for electronic, bass heavy music anyway) ... But they also cost 2-3x the price... I was comparing the M-100 to the Momentums which are similar price.

The M-100 are pretty useless to me even if I really liked the sound, because they are quite unpleasant to use... combination of clamping earpads hurting my ears and that treble spike fatiguing my ear drums... Not really a nice experience after an hour or so!

Jun 14, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #14,924 of 23,366
Any V-moda staff reading this : Please release an M-100 which has deeper cups, you are losing a lot of customers because these are uncomfortable, I do not know what "3 years of ergonomic research" was all about because almost everyones ears will touch the outside unless you literally have flat ears which are parallel to your head, I can work that out with "1 minute of ergonomic research"... Please sort it out it is not exactly difficult.... It is no use having amazing bass if you have to endure physical pain to listen to it properly.

Jun 14, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #14,925 of 23,366
Quote:
Any V-moda staff reading this : Please release an M-100 which has deeper cups, you are losing a lot of customers because these are uncomfortable, I do not know what "3 years of ergonomic research" was all about because almost everyones ears will touch the outside unless you literally have flat ears which are parallel to your head, I can work that out with "1 minute of ergonomic research"... Please sort it out it is not exactly difficult.... It is no use having amazing bass if you have to endure physical pain to listen to it properly.

deadhorse.gif
 + XL pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back