V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jun 9, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #14,821 of 23,366
I would get the faders and wear them along with the M-100 for use on plane rides. The M-100 plus faders combo is pretty much total isolation.

How exactly do the faders work while wearing headphones? When I think of "earplugs" I think of blocking out noise, so how would that work with headphones on? Wouldn't everything sound extremely muffled and distant?

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #14,823 of 23,366
With the volume turned up a little bit more than normal, would the m100's isolate enough on a plane?

Yes. But not 100%. It will isolate crying baby noise but I can still here some engine noise. This headphone is not really comfortable for 11 hour plane journey because the ear pads are hot and not really breathable not to mention the driver touching your ear.

Wish V moda come out with some genuine XL lambskin earpads! I will pay 100$ for those!

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #14,824 of 23,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckle490 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would get the faders and wear them along with the M-100 for use on plane rides. The M-100 plus faders combo is pretty much total isolation.

That sounds extremely uncomfortable and unfortunately way too much of a hassle for me. If I need to do that in order to get somewhat decent isolation than maybe I need to consider other options. I would think a closed over-ear headphone would do a decent job of isolating airplane noise even if letting a little bit of noise in. I'm not looking for total isolation, just to reduce the noise a decent amount.

Jun 9, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #14,825 of 23,366
Quote:
How exactly do the faders work while wearing headphones? When I think of "earplugs" I think of blocking out noise, so how would that work with headphones on? Wouldn't everything sound extremely muffled and distant?

Quote:
I was almost considering the faders but I know know that they still let some sound in, I'm going to be using my headphones at work and at home and I want to drown everything out around me without disturbing anyone around me.

No, I use the fader on a daily basis to list to music at levels anywhere from 95-110 dbs just in the car, all they do is bring every sound down something like 10-18 dbs. They aren't earplugs they are faders, they reduce the outside noise level evenly. With faders on you can just turn the volume up louder than without the faders on. After putting the faders in your ear you put the M-100, it really is not a hassle at all. You will not need the faders just on a daily basis, but for total isolation in very loud places you will need them. The M-100 is perfect for home and work use without the faders, and honestly EDM sounds fantastic with them. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
That sounds extremely uncomfortable and unfortunately way too much of a hassle for me. If I need to do that in order to get somewhat decent isolation than maybe I need to consider other options. I would think a closed over-ear headphone would do a decent job of isolating airplane noise even if letting a little bit of noise in. I'm not looking for total isolation, just to reduce the noise a decent amount.

I'm not a V-MODA sales representative so I could honestly care less whether you get the M-100 or not. That being said, it has been established that whether the isolation is good or not depends on many factors. Miceblue has stated many times that the M-100 is sufficient for low level listening in public areas. I can tell you from first hand experience that listening to music at what I consider a normal volume I hear nothing but the music and am almost completely isolated.  Your assumption that the M-100 is probably good for isolating airplane noise while letting a bit in is true I would think. I have not used my pair on an airplane but from speaking with my girlfriend who used her pair of faders and her Crossfade LP on an airplane ride not too long ago, the fader LP combo offers total isolation where as just using the LP let in a little bit of outside noise. The Fader M-100 combo is not uncomfortable to me but it might be to you. If you were looking for total isolation either noise canceling headphones or IEMS would be the way to go.

Jun 9, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #14,826 of 23,366

If you are more worried about isolation than sound quality get bose qc14

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #14,827 of 23,366

I've used mine on several cross country plane rides and I regularly have to turn them down to hear the flight attendant. I do not use the faders at all.

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #14,828 of 23,366
I am new to this site and earlier i was looking to see if the white pearl version of the headphones stained easily and val kolten said they were not as easy to stain as the shadow version of the headphones. so i was wondering if the shadow version stained easily? also i didnt ask val kolten myself someone else did.

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #14,829 of 23,366
No, I use the fader on a daily basis to list to music at levels anywhere from 95-110 dbs just in the car, all they do is bring every sound down something like 10-18 dbs. They aren't earplugs they are faders, they reduce the outside noise level evenly. With faders on you can just turn the volume up louder than without the faders on. After putting the faders in your ear you put the M-100, it really is not a hassle at all. You will not need the faders just on a daily basis, but for total isolation in very loud places you will need them. The M-100 is perfect for home and work use without the faders, and honestly EDM sounds fantastic with them. :)
I'm not a V-MODA sales representative so I could honestly care less whether you get the M-100 or not. That being said, it has been established that whether the isolation is good or not depends on many factors. Miceblue has stated many times that the M-100 is sufficient for low level listening in public areas. I can tell you from first hand experience that listening to music at what I consider a normal volume I hear nothing but the music and am almost completely isolated.  Your assumption that the M-100 is probably good for isolating airplane noise while letting a bit in is true I would think. I have not used my pair on an airplane but from speaking with my girlfriend who used her pair of faders and her Crossfade LP on an airplane ride not too long ago, the fader LP combo offers total isolation where as just using the LP let in a little bit of outside noise. The Fader M-100 combo is not uncomfortable to me but it might be to you. If you were looking for total isolation either noise canceling headphones or IEMS would be the way to go.

If you are more worried about isolation than sound quality get bose qc14

I've used mine on several cross country plane rides and I regularly have to turn them down to hear the flight attendant. I do not use the faders at all.

Thanks for the clarification guys. How do the faders fit in the ear? Are they similar to iem's in terms of comfort?

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #14,830 of 23,366
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification guys. How do the faders fit in the ear? Are they similar to iem's in terms of comfort?

They are exactly like IEMs. They use the same housing as the V-MODA Remix IEM and the I find the Fader/M-100 combo extremely uncomfortable. I have narrow ear canals so the ends of the Faders stick out and get pressed into my ears by the M-100s driver. I use the M-100 on the subway every day and even on a couple of flights and they perform fine. You have to boost the volume a little higher than normal listening levels, but the isolation is adequate unless for some reason you need total 100% isolation.
Quote:
I am new to this site and earlier i was looking to see if the white pearl version of the headphones stained easily and val kolten said they were not as easy to stain as the shadow version of the headphones. so i was wondering if the shadow version stained easily? also i didnt ask val kolten myself someone else did.

Cleaning the white M-100 is super easy. Water and a washcloth/microfiber and you're fine.

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #14,833 of 23,366
I've had the V-80 for a year and a half now. It uses the same suede material as the Shadow M-100 and the I don't notice any stains or discoloration on the outside of the headband. The inner fabric of the V-80, which is red (the Shadow M-100 is gray), has a little discoloration due sweat from the back of my neck and hair. Soap and water take it right out, but I've stopped caring since you can't see it unless you take the headphone off. The wingplates and the earcups are prone to fingerprints and scratches, though. That's the price we pay for glossy.

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #14,834 of 23,366
Quote:
Currently I have the Logitech UE6000.... I want some headphones mainly for EDM with nice bass.

I paid £100 for the UE6000 and could buy the M-100 for about £230.... Do you think the M-100 are worth the extra money for genres like EDM and general sound quality? I want some headphones with fun sound signature that are amazing for EDM. UE6000 are good but I think the M100 may be the better EDM can? Are they a big jump in treble and bass quality from the UE6000? Also a bit worried the mids / lower mids may not be very good on the Vmoda?

I was also looking at the Sennheiser momentums but I think they may not be the best for EDM? I plan to get one pair that are amazing for bass and EDM and then another pair at some point for other genres, movies, games etc.

Yes- tighter bass and more extended highs with M-100 compared to UE6000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back