V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
May 13, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #14,521 of 23,366
Quote:
using a cmoy bb with the m-100

someone said they thought the cmoy would bring out the flaws of the m-100 so i tried it myself just to take a look.
my usual setup is an Odac- O2- m-100. in this case i replaced the O2 with a jds labs cmoy bb v2.03 (18v) with the bb off.

after around half an hour of listening i cant say i feel any significant "flaw" of the m-100. its different from the O2 to be sure, but in no way does it sound bad or wrong. the bass is slightly less textured and the soundstage also suffered a little. the largest difference i noticed (and again, while it was the most noticeable to me, it wasnt huge) was that the mids were more forward, effecting the vocals and some nuances that are usually more quiet when using the O2 (specifically - clubroot - tempt fate). so actually, since the cmoy kinda brought the mids more forward, id say it synergises very well with the m-100. its not as good as the O2, but as it costs about half the price, id say thats exceptable.
all in all, listening to downtempo electronica as i always do, i enjoyed the experience. i see no reason to believe that the cmoy is a bad pair for the m-100.

no this is by no way a conclusive or "proper" a/b test, no i didnt volume match, no it was not a blind test. this is just my quick impression of a well known (to me) portable amp which i felt needed to be defended. take it as you will =]

well i have never noticed any problem with clipping, then again, i use it on the go (using velodyne v-pulse iems) riding noisy buses, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

i guess i worded it wrong.  more that i thought the cmoybb supposedly being a warm amp would only accentuate the bassier qualities the m-100 already has rather than help improve the headphone's purported weak points.  it's nice to hear that it matches up well with the m-100s.  as i have neither right now (yet; waiting on shipment for both) i'm mostly talking out of my a**, so take that as you will.

thanks for the quick analysis tho!

May 13, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #14,524 of 23,366
not sure if this has been asked or evaluated before but, has anyone used their M-100s on commercial or military aircraft? If so, how do you find the headset being able to isolate outside noise from engines?

May 13, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #14,527 of 23,366
Quote:
Until V-Moda gets the CoilPro cable out in wide distribution, this is in no way a DJ friendly headphone. DJs need long cables, coiled, for use while standing at a mixer or turntables. Without a long coiled cable, this is not a headphone I can recommend to a DJ, except maybe a bedroom DJ.

Val knows better than most of us how important a long coiled cable is for a DJ. Why isn't the CoilPro cable available yet? It's been many months :frowning2:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=3.5+mm+coiled+audio+cable
ph34r.gif

May 13, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #14,529 of 23,366
May 13, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #14,532 of 23,366
Quote:
i guess i worded it wrong.  more that i thought the cmoybb supposedly being a warm amp would only accentuate the bassier qualities the m-100 already has rather than help improve the headphone's purported weak points.  it's nice to hear that it matches up well with the m-100s.  as i have neither right now (yet; waiting on shipment for both) i'm mostly talking out of my a**, so take that as you will.

thanks for the quick analysis tho!

id be interested to hear your opinion of the two once you get them. and heres an idea if your up to it: after a month or so, when youve gotten used to your new headphones and their sound. why not choose on of your favorite albums, an album you know well and love dearly. listen to it with the m-100 out of your computer. then, listen to it again and use the cmoy this time. then see what differences you can make out. 
this is not the scientific way of doing it, far from it. but it may just open your eyes to how big differences in audio gear are, atleast to people like me (and you?) who dont have trained ears and are simply music lovers, looking for the best they can afford...

Quote:

Have to say I love the midnight on matte, think it's a keeper.

Quote:
How would a black audio only cable and midnight blue shields look with my matte black m-100?

you know? vmoda have put alot of thought into the styling of their headphones and their accompanying shields. i do believe ANY combo you choose will look good, so long as youre not going crazy with something custom-weird... 

May 13, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #14,533 of 23,366

Quote:

They look awesome...the layer of dust on your desk, not so much.  LOL.

I noticed that as well, was laughing and dusting at the same time. Here's one with the black ao cable. 95% of the time I wear black or blue shirts, so this is a good combo. I don't wear green at all, but the shields are a cool green color, might give them a shot with the purples as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back