V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
May 12, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #14,506 of 23,366
People at work have been fawning over these headphones since I got them! I get asked at least 5 times a day what they are.

Here are pictures! Logo is my initials (AW)

Just posting again since nobody noticed me the during all the arguing of semantics.

Quick 2 week impressions: I really love my M-100s for on the go use. Very durable with a great case. Excellent sound sig and they get more comfortable everyday. Definitely my portable headphone endgame. Enjoy!

May 12, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #14,507 of 23,366
Well after reading up a bit more on the galaxy nexus' ability to drive headphones, I have found out that its output is actually louder when compared to the nexus 4 when using the same headphones.
Although I have researched amps a bit and found a really cheap and small amp; the fiio e6. Not sure how good it is or of there will be any descirnable difference in sound?
One thing I have realized is that the more time I spend here, the more I begin to change my mind. I started off with a budget of $200 and now Im at $370 to get the m100+ e6. As a student this may not be a wise choice.

If the Nexus is louder than the Nexus 4 you may be ok, I would start off just buying the headphones as they're still going to sound good, then if necessary, add an amp.

May 12, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #14,510 of 23,366
Quote:

Not really. I used to, then I switched to Neutron when I realized there was some clipping in PowerAmp. Neutron has no such clipping. And I realized I didn't need such a huge EQ.

i use poweramp on a galaxy s3 and i hear no clipping whatsoever. perhaps your not eqing properly? did you remember to turn the "pre amp" down before turning the bass up?

May 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #14,511 of 23,366
Just posting again since nobody noticed me the during all the arguing of semantics.

Quick 2 week impressions: I really love my M-100s for on the go use. Very durable with a great case. Excellent sound sig and they get more comfortable everyday. Definitely my portable headphone endgame. Enjoy!

Its not that no one noticed its just gold and cream whites is meh

May 12, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #14,512 of 23,366
Quote:
i use poweramp on a galaxy s3 and i hear no clipping whatsoever. perhaps your not eqing properly? did you remember to turn the "pre amp" down before turning the bass up?

I don't really EQ on my phone.... On my J3 yes, but not on my Nexus. Poweramp does have a clipping issue. It is actually a known issue. Neutron didn't have that issue. I think its a software bug that has yet to be worked out, and I've talked to other people about it too and they also hear it. It isn't the most noticeable thing, but it is most certainly there. I'm not sure why it exists, but it does. Neutron has no such sound issues, just lackluster UI.

May 12, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #14,513 of 23,366
using a cmoy bb with the m-100

someone said they thought the cmoy would bring out the flaws of the m-100 so i tried it myself just to take a look.
my usual setup is an Odac- O2- m-100. in this case i replaced the O2 with a jds labs cmoy bb v2.03 (18v) with the bb off.

after around half an hour of listening i cant say i feel any significant "flaw" of the m-100. its different from the O2 to be sure, but in no way does it sound bad or wrong. the bass is slightly less textured and the soundstage also suffered a little. the largest difference i noticed (and again, while it was the most noticeable to me, it wasnt huge) was that the mids were more forward, effecting the vocals and some nuances that are usually more quiet when using the O2 (specifically - clubroot - tempt fate). so actually, since the cmoy kinda brought the mids more forward, id say it synergises very well with the m-100. its not as good as the O2, but as it costs about half the price, id say thats exceptable.
all in all, listening to downtempo electronica as i always do, i enjoyed the experience. i see no reason to believe that the cmoy is a bad pair for the m-100.

no this is by no way a conclusive or "proper" a/b test, no i didnt volume match, no it was not a blind test. this is just my quick impression of a well known (to me) portable amp which i felt needed to be defended. take it as you will =]

Quote:

I don't really EQ on my phone.... On my J3 yes, but not on my Nexus. Poweramp does have a clipping issue. It is actually a known issue. Neutron didn't have that issue. I think its a software bug that has yet to be worked out, and I've talked to other people about it too and they also hear it. It isn't the most noticeable thing, but it is most certainly there. I'm not sure why it exists, but it does. Neutron has no such sound issues, just lackluster UI.

well i have never noticed any problem with clipping, then again, i use it on the go (using velodyne v-pulse iems) riding noisy buses, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

May 12, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #14,515 of 23,366

Surprisingly, the gold makes the white seem more white by comparison.

White silver M-100 with gold shields is probably the most "bling-worthy" headphone I've seen, hahaha. More so than that one dude's diamond-encrusted Beats Pros even.

May 12, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #14,516 of 23,366
Quote:

Dude, I fell in love with your whites with matte black shields... I like the shadows with red shields, but your configuration was much better IMHO. Seriously, probably the best combination I´ve seen, specially customized. I think I like it even better than my matte blacks.

White silver M-100 with gold shields is probably the most "bling-worthy" headphone I've seen, hahaha. More so than that one dude's diamond-encrusted Beats Pros even.

Agree completely. 

EDIT: There we go...

May 12, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #14,518 of 23,366
Until V-Moda gets the CoilPro cable out in wide distribution, this is in no way a DJ friendly headphone. DJs need long cables, coiled, for use while standing at a mixer or turntables. Without a long coiled cable, this is not a headphone I can recommend to a DJ, except maybe a bedroom DJ.

Val knows better than most of us how important a long coiled cable is for a DJ. Why isn't the CoilPro cable available yet? It's been many months :frowning2:

May 12, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #14,519 of 23,366
Quote:

I also own a pair of white M-100's with gold plates. I do get a lot of stares on the subway and M-100's are getting pretty popular in the NYC area. I've seen about 4 pairs in the last 2 months. I've never really posted here, but have always lurked and thought I'd post a picture of mine as well. The gold is a lot more subtle than people think or realize. However, I can't post a picture because I haven't met the requirements to be allowed to(too little posts), but I'll post a link. They look fantastic if you ask me.
http://oi41.tinypic.com/8vouqd.jpg

I asked you(miceblue) on youtube when I was debating on getting the V-Moda M-100's but after watching your review I gave it a go. Its been about 4 months now and I'm loving them so thanks for the recommendation. I'm no high end audiophile and I can't tell that the mids are recessed like everyone else is saying, but to the average guy like me, these headphones are absolutely spectacular. My only gripe is that even though I don't have huge ears, they sometimes fatigue and hurt my ears after prolonged uses. However after the ghetto paper towel mod(shoving paper underneath the earcups), they became stiffer and lifted them away from my ears and made everything a bit clearer. On that note, I hope the XL pads come out soon :p.

Also, I've been using my iPod Touch 4 as my portable music player running Spotify Premium. Spotify's new update got rid of the only equalizer that was able to be used so I'm stuck with some songs sounding flat, or some songs just not having that oomph in the bass. Will a smallish portable amp/dac like a Fiio e07k or e17 be worth it to improve sound quality and such? 

May 13, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #14,520 of 23,366
Quote:
I also own a pair of white M-100's with gold plates. I do get a lot of stares on the subway and M-100's are getting pretty popular in the NYC area. I've seen about 4 pairs in the last 2 months. I've never really posted here, but have always lurked and thought I'd post a picture of mine as well. The gold is a lot more subtle than people think or realize. However, I can't post a picture because I haven't met the requirements to be allowed to(too little posts), but I'll post a link. They look fantastic if you ask me.
http://oi41.tinypic.com/8vouqd.jpg

I asked you(miceblue) on youtube when I was debating on getting the V-Moda M-100's but after watching your review I gave it a go. Its been about 4 months now and I'm loving them so thanks for the recommendation. I'm no high end audiophile and I can't tell that the mids are recessed like everyone else is saying, but to the average guy like me, these headphones are absolutely spectacular. My only gripe is that even though I don't have huge ears, they sometimes fatigue and hurt my ears after prolonged uses. However after the ghetto paper towel mod(shoving paper underneath the earcups), they became stiffer and lifted them away from my ears and made everything a bit clearer. On that note, I hope the XL pads come out soon :p.

Also, I've been using my iPod Touch 4 as my portable music player running Spotify Premium. Spotify's new update got rid of the only equalizer that was able to be used so I'm stuck with some songs sounding flat, or some songs just not having that oomph in the bass. Will a smallish portable amp/dac like a Fiio e07k or e17 be worth it to improve sound quality and such? 

Yes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back