V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
May 10, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #14,462 of 23,366
Awesome, thanks!
How forgiving are the m100's of lesser quality mp3's? I have a couple 128kbps and 192kbps files, will these sound absolutely horrific on the m100's?
Are the m100's easily powered by a smartphone? Specifically a galaxy nexus.

May 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #14,463 of 23,366
But I digress Bose have such floppy bass when you know what vmodas sound like. I'm not willing to sacrifice sq for anything and your looking at Maby spending more for less with Bose.(and some flac from headfiers lol)

I just tried the QC15 at a local Bose store with my own gear about 3 minutes ago. Bass is a bit loose compared to the M-100 but well within my terms of acceptance and anything but floppy to me. Innerfidelity measurements also show a tight bass response. The midrange was forward and very clear next to the M-100's laid-back midrange and the treble was better extended. I didn't hear the sparkly treble peak that the M-100 has so rock music was more enjoyable to me. I don't really see why people bash Bose so much; the QC15 is definitely a headphone I would pick for frequent airplane travel.

May 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #14,464 of 23,366
Awesome, thanks!
How forgiving are the m100's of lesser quality mp3's? I have a couple 128kbps and 192kbps files, will these sound absolutely horrific on the m100's?
Are the m100's easily powered by a smartphone? Specifically a galaxy nexus.

I don't know because I don't feed mine garbage! I have a few songs that are only in 192kps and they sound fine if a bit lacking in dynamics.

As for the Nexus, my friend's Nexus 4 couldn't get loud enough for his liking. I only have Galaxy phones and they get plenty loud, but don't sound that great. I recommend a small amp like a cMoy or a Fiio if volume is an issue.

May 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #14,465 of 23,366
Quote:
I just tried the QC15 at a local Bose store with my own gear about 3 minutes ago. Bass is a bit loose compared to the M-100 but well within my terms of acceptance and anything but floppy to me. Innerfidelity measurements also show a tight bass response. The midrange was forward and very clear next to the M-100's laid-back midrange and the treble was better extended. I didn't hear the sparkly treble peak that the M-100 has so rock music was more enjoyable to me. I don't really see why people bash Bose so much; the QC15 is definitely a headphone I would pick for frequent airplane travel.

You are kidding me right?  I didn't even want them when my department gave them out for free.

May 10, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #14,467 of 23,366

You are kidding me right?  I didn't even want them when my department gave them out for free.

Instead of inferring that I was kidding, do you mind sharing your impressions side-by-side then? They honestly didn't sound bad at all. Innerfidelity measurements are also pretty decent too.

May 10, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #14,468 of 23,366

#1 Rule of Head-Fi:
What may sound bad to you may not sound bad to others. I know of one head-fier who prefers Sol Republic Master Tracks to the ATH-M50.

May 10, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #14,469 of 23,366
Quote:

sooo, you're saying you refused to accept a $300 pair of headphones that was being given out for free?? lol...... that is hilarious.

i guess it does take a certain amount of stubborn courage to do something so silly =P

May 10, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #14,470 of 23,366
I don't know because I don't feed mine garbage! I have a few songs that are only in 192kps and they sound fine if a bit lacking in dynamics.

As for the Nexus, my friend's Nexus 4 couldn't get loud enough for his liking. I only have Galaxy phones and they get plenty loud, but don't sound that great. I recommend a small amp like a cMoy or a Fiio if volume is an issue.

Well I only use my galaxy nexus as my audio player since I carry it with me everywhere. Speaking of that, would it be worth spending the money on the m100's if they won't sound too good out of my phone? I will be upgrading my phone in a few months, I'm just waiting on something worthy of an upgrade.
I'm looking at the m100's because they seem to be quite portable, if I need to carry an amp around, that will negate the portability and unfortunately I just can't justify carrying around another extra device.

May 10, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #14,471 of 23,366
Well I only use my galaxy nexus as my audio player since I carry it with me everywhere. Speaking of that, would it be worth spending the money on the m100's if they won't sound too good out of my phone? I will be upgrading my phone in a few months, I'm just waiting on something worthy of an upgrade.
I'm looking at the m100's because they seem to be quite portable, if I need to carry an amp around, that will negate the portability and unfortunately I just can't justify carrying around another extra device.

They'll sound fine from pretty much any portable device. I find that volume levels on any of my phones is usually around 50-60%. I go higher if I'm somewhere loud like the subway or a library for blind people. I'm a little spoiled because I luckily have an older Galaxy that had a good Wolfson DAC (which is unlocked through rooting) and I use it as my reference when auditioning new phones.

They don't sound bad with a Galaxy Note or the S3, but are lacking when I compare them to my older phone. As for the volume on the Nexus 4, I found it loud enough for my listening preferences. It was my friend who complained it wasn't loud enough. I'm sure the M-100 will be a huge improvement over whatever you're upgrading from.

May 10, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #14,472 of 23,366
They'll sound fine from pretty much any portable device. I find that volume levels on any of my phones is usually around 50-60%. I go higher if I'm somewhere loud like the subway or a library for blind people. I'm a little spoiled because I luckily have an older Galaxy that had a good Wolfson DAC (which is unlocked through rooting) and I use it as my reference when auditioning new phones.

They don't sound bad with a Galaxy Note or the S3, but are lacking when I compare them to my older phone. As for the volume on the Nexus 4, I found it loud enough for my listening preferences. It was my friend who complained it wasn't loud enough. I'm sure the M-100 will be a huge improvement over whatever you're upgrading from.

I'm currently using a set of on ear headphones that I got for free from a basketball tournament. They resemble beats and they must be fairly sensitive since I keep my phone on like 10-20% volume in power amp and they are very loud. The m100's would be my first ever set of headphones I purchased vs. getting for free with a smartphone.

May 10, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #14,473 of 23,366
Do the v-moda m-100's lack kevlar for the two wires that between the left and right earcups? or do they have them?

If they left them out, they should have really put them in or at least than not have exposed the wires outside the headphones.

PS. Bose have anything but mid-range. All they have is harsh highs and an artificial overboosted treble. They have no sound-stage, mids, lows, instrument seperation or clear vocals. The sound isolation is great along with comfort but than build quality is cheap plastic and very poor. All for $300 not including sales tax? Sorry but I think I will pass. I don't understand why some people don't understand why Bose is bashed. I also would not want them for free; so what I will do is accept them and than sell them to you dumb saps who like them. A fool and his money are soon parted.

May 10, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #14,475 of 23,366
Do the v-moda m-100's lack kevlar for the two wires that between the left and right earcups? or do they have them?

If they left them out, they should have really put them in or at least than not have exposed the wires outside the headphones.

PS. Bose have anything but mid-range. All they have is harsh highs and an artificial overboosted treble. They have no sound-stage, mids, lows, instrument seperation or clear vocals. The sound isolation is great along with comfort but than build quality is cheap plastic and very poor. All for $300 not including sales tax? Sorry but I think I will pass. I don't understand why some people don't understand why Bose is bashed. I also would not want them for free; so what I will do is accept them and than sell them to you dumb saps who like them. A fool and his money are soon parted.

Says the person who claims the M-100 is flat.

When was the last time you actually heard the QC15's with your own gear with your own music? Over-boosted treble? Not in a chance. If you want to hear over-boosted treble, try a Shure SRH940. No mids? If you want no mids, try a Beyer DT 770 80 ohm. I'm sorry but both measurements, and my ears say otherwise.

Anyway, this is getting out of hand. I guess I shouldn't have compared the M-100 to the QC15 in the first place since apparently my ears must be hearing completely different things from what other people hear despite giving them a good 15 minute listen today with my own gear. Measurements and reviews from Tyll and Jude must also be 100% false too. Sorry for my inability to hear things properly.

Carry on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back