V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
May 9, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #14,446 of 23,366
Quote:

Unfortunately the wallet and the wife are two different entities.  LOL...If I can trade from e17 laterally, it's all good.  The C&C and the e12 allow me to do that.  If neither is sufficient, then I'll work on the wife, lol. I've got other stuff to sell too, so I can probably make the jump if need be.

I would suggest doing something extra nice for the Mrs. and buying a Verza.

May 9, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #14,447 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately the wallet and the wife are two different entities.  LOL...If I can trade from e17 laterally, it's all good.  The C&C and the e12 allow me to do that.  If neither is sufficient, then I'll work on the wife, lol. I've got other stuff to sell too, so I can probably make the jump if need be.

And that's also 6+ times the price, let alone knowing how much of an improvement of sound quality you'll get compared to the O2 or C5 at < 1/3 the price.

May 9, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #14,448 of 23,366
I genuinely enjoyed my ibasso t5 more than my e17 but I got rid of it because I wanted an amp with more gain(I like it loud). The t5 gave the mids a very crystalline sound and lots of treble extension and very very deeply musical.
- what would you say has more sub bass extension e17(not using dac) or the c5?

May 9, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #14,450 of 23,366
Quote:
Quite a few people have comfort issues with the M-100 however, I have a fairly large head (I won't say a big head!) hat size 7 5/8" (US 7 3/4") and I wear Oakley glasses (straight arm like your IC Berlins I guess) all the time. I can wear the M-100 for 2 hours easily before feeling slight discomfort. This manifests as a very dull ache in the anthelix.

I would be unlikely to wear headphones for longer than this without a break anyway and the sensation has gone within 10 mins. I have never owned any headphones over, on or in ear that didn't give some slight discomfort over long periods of use but then I've never tried the Sennheiser's you mention.

That's great, I feel like I can buy these without trying them on for comfort. For anyone needing this info your hatsize measures to be around 24.2" inches,  I measured my head circumference to to be 23" inches which would be US 7 3/8" or 7 1/2 hat size. I suppose I shouldn't really have a problem wearing these then!

May 9, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #14,451 of 23,366
Quote:
yeah but you have 60 days to try it out and decide if it's worth it.  besides it's also a dac and reserve battery for your portable device.

That's true. I have yet to see someone actually compare the amp section of the VERZA, or VAMP for that matter, next to other amps or DACs alone. The real question is how large of a sound quality difference do you get from just a line-out connection to an amp? You'll likely be using the VERZA with a mobile device, with mobile listening. The increase in sound quality with those applications is very likely diminished and would therefore be a waste of money were it not for the ability to charge the battery. If I needed an amp and DAC for portable, non-mobile usage, a highly regarded combo would probably be a better investment versus a built-for-mobile combo.

May 10, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #14,452 of 23,366

Lol. I can promise that I cannot do anything for her that will allow for a 500+ dollar purchase when I already have 140 dollar amp on my desk. Haha. Just ain't gonna happen. The other unfortunate situation right now is in the span of three weeks we have Mothers Day...her Birthday and our 5th Anniversary so I've already got quite the expense coming up this month. Haha.

May 10, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #14,453 of 23,366
Quote:
Lol. I can promise that I cannot do anything for her that will allow for a 500+ dollar purchase when I already have 140 dollar amp on my desk. Haha. Just ain't gonna happen. The other unfortunate situation right now is in the span of three weeks we have Mothers Day...her Birthday and our 5th Anniversary so I've already got quite the expense coming up this month. Haha.

Of course I was (half) kidding and you are doing the smart thing, even as much as we love our headphone gear.

May 10, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #14,454 of 23,366
Quote:
That's true. I have yet to see someone actually compare the amp section of the VERZA, or VAMP for that matter, next to other amps or DACs alone. The real question is how large of a sound quality difference do you get from just a line-out connection to an amp? You'll likely be using the VERZA with a mobile device, with mobile listening. The increase in sound quality with those applications is very likely diminished and would therefore be a waste of money were it not for the ability to charge the battery. If I needed an amp and DAC for portable, non-mobile usage, a highly regarded combo would probably be a better investment versus a built-for-mobile combo.

While I don't own some of the better portable amps that have come out recently, I can say the Verza is a significant improvement over the E11.  It's also hard to beat an amp/DAC combo that is tuned to perfectly match the M-100.  The law of diminishing return absolutely applies, but I feel I now have the ultimate portable rig to the point that I have no desire to upgrade in the forseeable future.

May 10, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #14,455 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

While I don't own some of the better portable amps that have come out recently, I can say the Verza is a significant improvement over the E11.  It's also hard to beat an amp/DAC combo that is tuned to perfectly match the M-100.  The law of diminishing return absolutely applies, but I feel I now have the ultimate portable rig to the point that I have no desire to upgrade in the forseeable future.

Well yeah that's the thing, I do think FiiO makes good entry-level budget amps but they are entry-level nonetheless. I really think the C5 sounds much better than the E12, and if the E12 is better than the E11 then I have no doubt that it would sound much better than the E11. It's like comparing a budget Monoprice 8320 to a carefully tuned Shure SE215; of course the SE215 is going to sound significantly better.

May 10, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #14,458 of 23,366
very much so. not as good as noise canceling of course but way better sq without NC

I second that. It works well enough that background noise fades away if your music/movie is engaging enough. An amp will help, too.

May 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #14,459 of 23,366
Quote:
I second that. It works well enough that background noise fades away if your music/movie is engaging enough. An amp will help, too.

Me too! And this is coming from a guy who owns the bose qc15. The qc15 just for NC but sounds somewhat adequate. Plus the low ends in the m100 really would make it en engaging experience.

May 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #14,460 of 23,366
I also own both, but definitely prefer the Bose on long flights.  The noise cancellation on those things is an absolute godsend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back