V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
May 6, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #14,341 of 23,366
Quote:
I noticed that the headphones don't need as much burn in time as my head needed it. I really had to take the time to get used to the tone of these headphones. But once I did, these cans now sound really good, not lacking in the mids like I previously perceived and the bass seems not as overpowering as on the first listen.

I think the volume you listen to music does a difference as well. If you like to listen to music really low, you would not like these cans, as you will feel the mids much more recessed. These cans need to crank the volume up a little bit more than you would do with other headphones IMO. Once you get to the right listening volume, they sound awesome. I still eq them a little bit in any case, although not as much as I did in the beginning.

May 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #14,343 of 23,366
Quote:
yeeeeessss i covered the back of the driver housing with dynamat! nothing short of amazing! bass is so much tighter
smily_headphones1.gif

Pics please

May 6, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #14,344 of 23,366
^ as soon as i can :D i believe this will make isolation better also
pretty much if you take the cups apart you look on the back of the plate that the driver is attached to and cover the part surrounding the driver with dynamat

May 6, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #14,345 of 23,366
I noticed that the headphones don't need as much burn in time as my head needed it. I really had to take the time to get used to the tone of these headphones. But once I did, these cans now sound really good, not lacking in the mids like I previously perceived and the bass seems not as overpowering as on the first listen.

I think the volume you listen to music does a difference as well. If you like to listen to music really low, you would not like these cans, as you will feel the mids much more recessed. These cans need to crank the volume up a little bit more than you would do with other headphones IMO. Once you get to the right listening volume, they sound awesome. I still eq them a little bit in any case, although not as much as I did in the beginning.

Yeah that might be the case for me. I listen to my music at low volume levels and the M-100's laud back mids are really evident to my ears.

May 6, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #14,346 of 23,366

+1

May 6, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #14,347 of 23,366
Okay, this is scaring me. I went to a local Radio Shack to give the M-80's another listen. I will be dead honest right now, I actually the M-80's more than the M-100. Who here has heard both the M-80 and M-100? I know aleki has.

To me the M-80 sounds cleaner overall in terms of the audio frequency spectrum but you do lose the details that the M-100 has. I was listening to some Japanese electropop from Perfume, and their songs just sounded so much more engaging with the M-80's due to their clearer, more upfront midrange. Their voices were so clear!

I had a similar experience with Lindsey Stirling's music, Vanessa Mae, some songs from the anime K-ON, tracks from the Key CLASSIC album, as well at The Piano Guys.

On Amazon.com the M-80's are $150 USD. In my opinion that is a complete BARGAIN for the money and I have to seriously reconsider the price difference between the M-100 and the M-80. Being twice the price of the M-80's, the M-100 does offer better instrument separation as well as a more detailed sound. On the other hand I find it to be very genre specific whereas the M-80's are more universal for genres. I don't know if I would say the M-100 is worth twice the price of the M-80...

May 6, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #14,349 of 23,366
Quote:
Okay, this is scaring me. I went to a local Radio Shack to give the M-80's another listen. I will be dead honest right now, I actually the M-80's more than the M-100. Who here has heard both the M-80 and M-100? I know aleki has.

To me the M-80 sounds cleaner overall in terms of the audio frequency spectrum but you do lose the details that the M-100 has. I was listening to some Japanese electropop from Perfume, and their songs just sounded so much more engaging with the M-80's due to their clearer, more upfront midrange. Their voices were so clear!

I had a similar experience with Lindsey Stirling's music, Vanessa Mae, some songs from the anime K-ON, tracks from the Key CLASSIC album, as well at The Piano Guys.

On Amazon.com the M-80's are $150 USD. In my opinion that is a complete BARGAIN for the money and I have to seriously reconsider the price difference between the M-100 and the M-80. Being twice the price of the M-80's, the M-100 does offer better instrument separation as well as a more detailed sound. On the other hand I find it to be very genre specific whereas the M-80's are more universal for genres. I don't know if I would say the M-100 is worth twice the price of the M-80...

I did the same comparison at Radio Shack one or two months ago after owning the M-100 for awhile, but came to a different conclusion.  I instantly picked up the more rolled off highs of the M-80 and what really struck me about the M-80 was how muddy and distracting the bass was compared to the tightness and punch of the M-100.  I didn't hear this with the M-80 prior to owning the M-100.

May 6, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #14,350 of 23,366
Just for the record: I actually listen to Rock, Metal & Gothik with my M-100 and they're doin' a good job. I might not say "great" but it's defenitifly not "useless sludge"... :wink:

May 6, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #14,351 of 23,366
Quote:

It just sounds like you're more of a Mad Dogs kind of guy than an M-100s kind of guy.

May 6, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #14,352 of 23,366
I love the sound of the M-80s and find them more balanced overall. The comfort and portability made me not want them. The TMA-1s are more comfortable to me and have the same portability factor (though the sound isn't as good and has merely a carry bag rather than a case). The M-100s have the portability and comfort I was looking for in a portable over the ear can.

The bass of the M-100s are better to my ears with more extension and harder punch, but feel more V-shaped. They also tend to have a natural timbre that I prefer in my headphones for portability. The M-80s don't have the same naturalness to them. The M-80s having rolled off highs but more balance overall and sound technically better to me. 

I love both but for me, the M100s suit my personal needs, and I can tweak the bass as needed. I cannot tweak the portability of a headphone though. 

And as for Darkfireblade. The Mad Dogs are just all around amazing orthos at their price. Dan did a fantastic job on his mod. I prefer the sound of the Mad Dogs to my M-100s but again, they are large and rather not portable, and really shine with an amp which the M-100s don't need. 

May 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #14,353 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

I did the same comparison at Radio Shack one or two months ago after owning the M-100 for awhile, but came to a different conclusion.  I instantly picked up the more rolled off highs of the M-80 and what really struck me about the M-80 was how muddy and distracting the bass was compared to the tightness and punch of the M-100.  I didn't hear this with the M-80 prior to owning the M-100.

I found the treble to be held back, much like the Sennheiser HD650's treble, which was quite enjoyable for rock in my opinion and matches with my earlier impressions of the M-80 vs M-100. If there is one thing I like about the HD650, it's the smooth treble that was awesome with Metallica and other rock songs. With the M-80, I had a similar experience. Looking at the measurements from Innerfidelity, the M-80 indeed does have a pretty similar upper-midrange -> treble transition and slope.

Faded slope is the HD650.

Compared to the M-100. Faded slope is HD650.

I find the M-100 to have more sparkle as it seems to be a universal observations for people who have tried the M-80 and M-100, but that doesn't necessarily mean it sounds better, again as I mentioned in my earlier M-80 vs M-100 comparison since it does sound more artificial; it reminds me of the treble peak that the HE-500 has but to a lesser extent, right where the initial cymbal crashes are.

I wouldn't say the bass is muddy, but it certainly isn't as controlled as that of the M-100. It is less obtrusive into the midrage on the other hand, which was immediately noticeable with Key CLASSIC tracks.

As in agreement with Tyll at Innerfidelity:
Quote:
M-80:
The top octave is slightly reduced, and coupled with the warmish tilt give the headphones a very slightly muffled sound.

M-100:
I'd call the treble "sparkly." It's nice and present, without being strident or harsh. It's a bit unnatural though, and lacks extension in the highest octave.

Quote:

It just sounds like you're more of a Mad Dogs kind of guy than an M-100s kind of guy.

The M-80's definitely have more of a Mad Dogs sound to them than the M-100, especially the midrange, bass quantity, and treble response.

May 6, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #14,355 of 23,366
Umm I can't believe what I'm hearing from this dynamat tape mod... The veil has been lifted from my lp2s I will do the mod on the m100now. By puting dynamat on the driver plate it somehow made the bass tighter and the mids come out of nowhere and much better sparkle on the highs. I keep switching my lp2to the m100 back and forth and I hate to say but all these mods have made my lp2 better and more balanced than my m100.... Which means I might get the same effect when I do this to the m100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back