V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Apr 19, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #14,026 of 23,366
Quote:
Wait till you get to summit-fi headphones. You'll be in for a surprise. :wink:

Hey Miceblue or Micheal, or anyone. I was wondering my friend said how good a value the m100 was. Can someone give me a list of headphones that are inferior compared to the m100. We all know every beats model :wink:

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #14,027 of 23,366
Hey guys,  I know this is the M-100 thread, but this is the only place I have seen talking actively about the earpads XL.

I happen to be one of those few with large ears (didn't realize this until I got some V-MODA Crossfade LPs) and I was wondering if these new pads are going to be compatible with all existing V-MODA over-the-ear headphones or just the M-100s.  I really love the sound of my headphones, but not being able to wear them for extended periods of time is really a bummer (extended being more than 1 hour).  

Also, is this promotion for the free XL pads only good for the M-100s as well?  I have purchased cables and things from the V-MODA store, but I hate the idea of having to spend more $ on new earpads when all I'm going to do with the other ones, which are practically brand new, is throw them away.  I've owned these things for a month so far and mostly use them for PC gaming.

Thanks everyone.

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #14,028 of 23,366
id say that its nonsense!(no offense) you might need to let the pads break in to your head shape! i happen to be a bass freak and no headphone comes close in bass presence!

it could be nonsense, yes. yet still, as good as the bass is, i felt it was at the same volume as the rest of the music, perhaps slightly elevated... it didnt hit me in the face, lets put it that way. with the dt 770s, the bass was muddier and less textual, but it stood out. there was music, and there was a bass line. with m-100, its all together, and i have to eq the bass way up in order to get the feeling of a really strong bass line (and i listen to music that has plenty of bass in it. such as clubroot, truth, hol bauman, you name it...). im just a sub bass enthusiast, nevermind me... it was only a thought. doesnt matter anyway, thats why equalizers were invented =]
could also be a manufacturing issue. one of the things i like the most about the crossfade(m100/lp/lp2 line is that the bass sounds like its coming from an external sub. what is your source player??
i will say that un amped the vmodas have less bass.

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #14,029 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey Miceblue or Micheal, or anyone. I was wondering my friend said how good a value the m100 was. Can someone give me a list of headphones that are inferior compared to the m100. We all know every beats model :wink:

This is a more subjective question than you might think.  IMHO, every other headphone at or below M-100's price point that I have heard sounds inferior to me. 

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #14,030 of 23,366
This is a more subjective question than you might think.  IMHO, every other headphone at or below M-100's price point that I have heard sounds inferior to me. 

I didn't try a lot of them. I think they are pretty good value, but there are maybe two or three cans I would consider as well, being probably:
- Soundmagic HP100
- Logitech UE6000 / UE9000 (if you want bluetooth).

Still, the V-Moda´s provide features that these ones are not gonna cover. I wouldn't see much further if you are willing to expend that amount of money. I love my Jaycar Pro Monitor though.

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #14,031 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
Wait till you get to summit-fi headphones. You'll be in for a surprise. :wink:

How good of a value is the M-100? To me it's a terrific value!

Inferior to the M-100? That depends on your personal tastes really. I can say the HD800 is inferior to the M-100 if I want because it has better bass extension *no troll*.

Apr 19, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #14,032 of 23,366
Quote:
How good of a value is the M-100? To me it's a terrific value!

Inferior to the M-100? That depends on your personal tastes really. I can say the HD800 is inferior to the M-100 if I want because it has better bass extension *no troll*.

I agree with you and craigster that is subjective. I see how it is. I recently listened to my friends studio's and I released to my ears that the m100 had more bass. It had a more true bass, deep extension. Beats had a vibrating bass, it kind of rattled. It is weird. 

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #14,033 of 23,366
Quote:
I agree with you and craigster that is subjective. I see how it is. I recently listened to my friends studio's and I released to my ears that the m100 had more bass. It had a more true bass, deep extension. Beats had a vibrating bass, it kind of rattled. It is weird. 

The beats also muffle the sound. I compared the two, my M-100's and all the beats line and couldn't figure out why people wanted them.
When I see people wearing them, I automatically shake my head.

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #14,035 of 23,366
Quote:
In general they are amazing with electronic and rap music. But for other things like some metal, I have my sr80is

They are not "amazing with electronic and rap", I guess they sound exciting. They have no sound stage, has a weird bass impact, and the vocals muffled. Mids are recessed by a lot. I guess they are exciting to listen to, but I do not like the sound. They are comfy though. Grado is good.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #14,036 of 23,366
The beats also muffle the sound. I compared the two, my M-100's and all the beats line and couldn't figure out why people wanted them.
When I see people wearing them, I automatically shake my head.

Lol I thought the same exact thing. I used to like the look but know they look ugly af. I look disgusted every time I see some one with beats. Now V-MODA then that is sexy.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #14,037 of 23,366
I think HP comparisons are truly subjective.  When somebody says something sounds better over another, it is subjective.  Who knows what other people can hear and on what equipment and at what price range.  Sure you can point to charts and graphs that theoretically show that certain things should sound better but if I remember correctly, Tyll of Innerfidelity said that the M-100 sounds better than the graphs show.

All I can say is buy what sounds good to your ears and let your ears be the way to happiness.  
L3000.gif

btw; I love my M-100's.  They truly do transport me to another level of music listening and get me really excited about listening to other HP's.

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #14,038 of 23,366
Quote:
could also be a manufacturing issue. one of the things i like the most about the crossfade(m100/lp/lp2 line is that the bass sounds like its coming from an external sub. what is your source player??
i will say that un amped the vmodas have less bass.

odac+O2. if anything, their over amped... i dont think theres any manufacturing issue, just a bass-over-inthusiasm issue
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #14,039 of 23,366
Quote:
I think HP comparisons are truly subjective.  When somebody says something sounds better over another, it is subjective.  Who knows what other people can hear and on what equipment and at what price range.  Sure you can point to charts and graphs that theoretically show that certain things should sound better but if I remember correctly, Tyll of Innerfidelity said that the M-100 sounds better than the graphs show.

All I can say is buy what sounds good to your ears and let your ears be the way to happiness.  
L3000.gif

btw; I love my M-100's.  They truly do transport me to another level of music listening and get me really excited about listening to other HP's.

True that! Val I believe said that they didn't bother to look at the graph, since when they reached that looked good in the graph, sounded horrible in reality. The M100, ignoring the graph, is there "golden sound"

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #14,040 of 23,366

Interesting sound from the MDR-1R.
  1. The 1R had more bass punch than the M-100 which made some electronic music more enjoyable to listen to, but it seemed a bit too big in presentation, more so than the M-100.
  2. The 1R also has a very forward midrange which made midrange-based music somewhat enjoyable to listen to, more so than the M-100, but might actually be too forward even for my tastes (more on this later).
  3. The treble also seemed smoother than that of the M-100 but somewhat metallic-sounding. The M-100 has more sparkle, but like I mentioned in my review, this "lower-treble" might get fatiguing. The 1R's treble reminded me of the UE6000's treble but with more detail and excitement
  4. The soundstage of the 1R seemed smaller in all dimension to me compared to the M-100 and really lacked in instrument separation (more on this later).
  5. Build-quality wasn't too bad even though there were plastic parts all over the design. They fold flat, which would be easier to slip in a bag than the "ball" the M-100's fold-in to.
  6. Comfort-wise, there's no comparison. The 1R's are lighter, the earcups are deeper, the earpads are softer, and the clamping force is just right (not too loose, not too tight). When I turned-off the music, I almost forgot there were headphones on my head.

I don't know if it's because I have been spoiled by the SRH940 and M-100, but I really think the $300 headphone market is getting filled with a bunch of "meh" headphones. Next to the 1R, the mids of the M-100 are evidently lacking in presentation (laid-back), but in timbre, as I keep saying, the M-100's are quite good. The 1R's mids aren't bad per se, but the metallic-sounding treble kind of crept into the mids and made female vocals a bit metallic-sounding too. The very forward midrange of the 1R is really great for instrumental music and rock, but I found the vocals way too forward for me. The SRH940's vocals, even though they are quite forward, never really bothered me; the 1R did and it sounded just weird to me. Likewise for the instrument separation, the instrument separation of a lot of $300 headphones is pretty "meh". The 1R was OK, but it sounded like a typical closed-back headphone; the M-100, as I keep bringing up, has really good instrument separation, and the SRH940 the most (SRH940 still amazes me with its soundstage and instrument separation for a closed-back headphone).

For the original $300 price tag, I think the M-100 would be a better choice for overall sound. I'll need to read through some of the MDR-1R posts to see why people like it and why Jude says it's his #1 portable reference headphone. XD

Disclaimer: these impressions are from about 20 minutes of listening. It was awkward when one of the Sony Store employees came up to me and asked if I needed any help since I was awkwardly standing in the corner with my own gear staring at nothing while listening to the MDR-1R's.

My rig: iPhone 4S -> FiiO L3 -> FiiO E12 -> MDR-1R

I might have to give the 1R another listen with my C5 as it's my current reference portable headphone amplifier. I just happened to be in the area checking out the Microsoft and Apple Stores nearby and I decided to see how the E12 fares for a portable amplifier.....yeah I think I'll stick to the C5 for those purposes.

This is the regular MDR-1R with no fancy active noise cancelling nor green-tooth wireless technologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back